Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:21 AM   #31

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Fishy,
Face detection is terrible for video. I have it on the Kodaks and always switch it off. The problem comes when somebody who is not your focal-point is walking towards you. Say you are taking a statue in a park and people are walking around it. The face focus lock means your focus will be shifting all over the place following the faces, not the average of the scene. It is a disaster for video...
I didn't know it worked in video as well. I always thought it was still images only since the amount of processing that would be going on to recognize the faces.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:42 AM   #32

As read, on the 800 only not the 700.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Fishy,
Face detection is terrible for video. I have it on the Kodaks and always switch it off. The problem comes when somebody who is not your focal-point is walking towards you. Say you are taking a statue in a park and people are walking around it. The face focus lock means your focus will be shifting all over the place following the faces, not the average of the scene. It is a disaster for video...
I didn't know it worked in video as well. I always thought it was still images only since the amount of processing that would be going on to recognize the faces.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:27 PM   #33

Kodak imply face detection isn't active on video, but it sure made a difference when I switched that feature globally off on the camera

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:38 PM   #34

one of my cams has this feature which I like and do not at times not sure what it is called? but I can explain it like this

If I move whlie the cam is on a tripodit will follow me to a certain degree. while I went through settings and cannot figure out but Af (autofucus ) turn off and anti shake as well

that's the casio love it.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:51 PM   #35

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
one of my cams has this feature which I like and do not at times not sure what it is called? but I can explain it like this

If I move whlie the cam is on a tripodit will follow me to a certain degree. while I went through settings and cannot figure out but Af (autofucus ) turn off and anti shake as well

that's the casio love it.
It sounds like you are talking about Autofocus tracking. That's quite an old feature. My old Minolta Dimage F300 has this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 4:33 AM   #36

It could be, when I do certain vids I do not like it
Old Aug 31, 2008, 4:20 PM   #37

I bought one of those $300 HD700s from Amazon, used it a couple of times and returned it. I'm not sure if it was faulty but it was the worst camcorder I've ever used, vastly inferior to my CG65 in color and every other aspect. I felt like I was always at 2 or 3X zoom when at maximum wide view. This is the only camera I've ever returned to anyone. I'm usually not hard to please.

I'm hopeful the HD800 will be something special but I'll wait and see. I love the handling qualities of the smaller Sanyos. They've got it right. I need a shirt pocket camera that can be put into action and operated with only one hand.

Does the HD800 have stereo sound? The web site doesn't mention this. Even my CG65 has stereo and it's quite good for my purposes.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:27 AM   #38

Review of HD800 with sample 720P video clip.

http://www.digiblo.jp/xactispecial/a...0807_1735.html

Japanese page, google translation may help.

http://translate.google.com/
wcn70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:35 PM   #39

the006iceman wrote:
Quote:
As one close to sources at Sanyo, I have personally seen the HD800 and tested it. Unfortunately I don't have any video to direct you to, but the diagonals are much smoother. I haven't really seen the indoor usage as much, but the stuff I have seen, was very impressive. It seems to have a softer feel to the video, although it does appear a little bit noisy still to me. However, this is something I have noticed in almost all HD video, excepting professional cameras, and the Xacti line-up was not designed for pro usage. For your common camera user, this is still pretty well done.

The CMOS sensor also not only allows more fps, but it also allows the seamless photos while video is being taken. I can't tell you how many times my wife has yelled at me to take a photo of the baby and I have been unable to switch modes fast enough, or pull out my camera. On the CCD HD700, the video stopped/paused for a second and you miss taking video to take the picture--which the HD800 resolved with the switch to CMOS. In HD, 0.9-Megapixels, and in SD, 2.0-Megapixels...

I just checked again, and there is no external mic input, just headphone out. There is a tripod insert at the bottom. I think they are considering adding an external mic input for future models though--there is tons of demand for it here in Japan!

I was about to post a question about the value of a CMOS sensor, then saw it as I went back through this thread. Good info and worthwhile. Interruption of the video for a still picture is a major negative for those of us who like both.

I'm wondering if the HD800 has stereo sound. I'm guessing that it does but nowhere on the Sanyo site is it mentioned and it is noted on all the other Sanyos that have it.

Personally, I'm holding out and hoping for a Canon hybrid that has all the above plus a viewfinder. Failing that, I'll try the HD800. I love my little CG65. Every area it's weak in seems to have been fixed in the HD800.

I've noted theseHD800s are for sale on eBay and I hope that means we will soon see a good review on this forum.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:07 PM   #40

I just received my hd800, i took some vids/pics but since its dark now they're not exactly stellar, but i guess thats expected since the light sensor is pretty small in a camera like this.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow during the day.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote