Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:41 AM   #41

Congrads looking foward, and most would want to see night time shots :G

shabby wrote:
Quote:
I just received my hd800, i took some vids/pics but since its dark now they're not exactly stellar, but i guess thats expected since the light sensor is pretty small in a camera like this.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow during the day.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:21 PM   #42

Heres a vid of the backyard using the highest quality setting http://www.sendspace.com/file/vmmc0q

I resized them down but kept the quality but theres still plenty of noise when you zoom in even in the originals. It was much darker when i took these photos, this is definetly not a low light camera.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:10 AM   #43

I have a a question for you all. I have a bridge camera so alreadyhave something bulky that takes good shots. I am giving my canon ixus to my mum, so i want something that take average to good stills wtih a few manual functions. But more important, i want to record those little memories. I travel, and always feel i miss out by not having some footage. The Sanyo xacti CG9 was my ideal choice, small and pocketable. But i notice there is not too much difference in price with the CG9 and the HD700. So i am a bit confused as there is not too much difference between the HD700 and HD800.

I want average video footage that is better than a normal digital camera using its inbuilt record mode, but something that wont also takes 10mb's for a few seconds footage. So the sanyo seems like a good way to go. I want to be able to view on a mac and maybe sometimes show a few videos on a standard tv or maybe HD tv in the near future. Something small and compact that i canput in my jeans pocket. So which one would you guys go for if you had my requirements.
sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:08 AM   #44

That is the wobbliest video, and I mean wobbly (not shaky or jumpy) but like the lense is in jelly. Cmos is a complete and utter disaster for video, unless they have superb optical is like canon/pana/sony etc then this thing is dead in the water. Quality is iffy at best as well.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:13 AM   #45

shabby wrote:
Quote:
Heres a vid of the backyard using the highest quality setting http://www.sendspace.com/file/vmmc0q

I resized them down but kept the quality but theres still plenty of noise when you zoom in even in the originals. It was much darker when i took these photos, this is definetly not a low light camera.
The video seems to have a nice soft warm feel to it but it suffers from overblown reds and whites. Perhaps that can be altered with appropriate settings though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:21 AM   #46

Adventsam wrote:
Quote:
That is the wobbliest video, and I mean wobbly (not shaky or jumpy) but like the lense is in jelly. Cmos is a complete and utter disaster for video, unless they have superb optical is like canon/pana/sony etc then this thing is dead in the water. Quality is iffy at best as well.
I am just curious as to why you think having "superb optical is like canon/pana/sony" would mitigate this effect. There are plenty of examples of the Canon HF100 with bad rolling shutter for instance.

"That is the wobbliest video". It didn't seem that bad to me. I guess some people are more sensitive to it than others. I have seen worse.

Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:28 AM   #47

Thank you.

do you have stabilizer on?

Can you make a video in the dark and
a video with many mooving object ( like trees in the wind )
to test bitrate artifacts.

Thank you..................
sandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:00 PM   #48

I think I've seen many sony cmos implementations and most of the hf video I've seen is stable(ish) basically the optical is will assist with hand shake, what you are seing here is an exageration of the shake in video wobble ie the rolling shutter effect is accentuating camera movement, This is the issue with sanyo, they need optical is and they need it bad, with cmos its even worse and therefore the sony tg1 video moves to a different planet compared with this thing.

Imo, yo'd be better off waiting for the new sony ccd based digicam, 10megapixels, optical is 5x zoom etc etc, h264 video, tg500 I think. This will be the best hybrid by a county mile imo and will be cheap as well, they also do a wide angle cube for it as well so it'll be a better bet all around.

This is just plain garbage
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:09 PM   #49

Should be a much better deal than the sanyo for most people, very slim as well. Only downside, there's always one , 10min clips only!

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsc-t-series/dsc-t500
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:10 PM   #50

Ah you meant optical image stabilisation. That will no doubt reduce the effect but they all seem to be moving towards CMOS. I don't think we'll see a CMOS camera with a global shutter anytime soon as I had read that it's much more difficult and costly to implement one on these type of sensors.