Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:00 PM   #61

Judging from the video and photo samples posted by shabby, I have to agree with you guys. It's not looking good, but still this is only one person and one camera. No offense to you shabby but your camera skills aren't super. I need to see some more test by people who knows camcorders and manual controls before totally cursing out Sanyo for making such lousy "upgrade":-).
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:17 PM   #62

adalfa wrote:
Quote:
Judging from the video and photo samples posted by shabby, I have to agree with you guys. It's not looking good, but still this is only one person and one camera. No offense to you shabby but your camera skills aren't super. I need to see some more test by people who knows camcorders and manual controls before totally cursing out Sanyo for making such lousy "upgrade":-).
Adalfa,

In my opinion. these hybrids should be able to take good video and stills "out of the box" without resorting to adjustments and various manual settings. Most of my cameras have manual controls but they are seldom used.

I think those of us looking to upgrade this year will end up with a Sony T500 or maybe something yet to be announced by Canon.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:39 PM   #63

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
shabby wrote:
Quote:
Im definetly returning the camera, the quality imo is worse than the hd700 samples i've seen posted here.
I'm really disappointed that the HD800 is no improvement over the 700. I suppose the change of codec to H.264 would be called an improvement but if that is at the expense of quality video, no thanks. I really, really wanted to like this camera. My CG65 is a nice Sanyo and I enjoy using it. My Canon TX1 does the HD and I love that also. I was hoping Sanyo had finally put it all together.

Personally, I'll be taking a look at the Sony T500. I'm also hoping for a new Canon hybrid since they have discontinued the TX1.

The HD700 does use h264, not just the newer HD800.

I agree that Sanyo seem to be dropping the ball lately. I really tried to like my HD700 and I'm pretty forgiving but I returned it with the hope they would correct its flaws and finally produce the camera the HD700 was meant to be, but I guess they just produced another let down. A pity as I do like the fact, that finally, you can take stills without pausing the video.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:13 PM   #64

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
A pity as I do like the fact, that finally, you can take stills without pausing the video.
I tried this feature out, the still shot was only as good as the video. And since the video wasn't that good, neither was the still shot.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:52 AM   #65

shabby wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
A pity as I do like the fact, that finally, you can take stills without pausing the video.
I tried this feature out, the still shot was only as good as the video. And since the video wasn't that good, neither was the still shot.
This sort of implied they are just video captures but it does say it can capture full 8MP stills while shooting video. Did you use the full 8MP mode? I noticed it can also shoot in a lower 2MP mode.

It does seem that the HD700 and 800 are turning out to be the low point of the Sanyo range.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:14 PM   #66

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
shabby wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
This sort of implied they are just video captures but it does say it can capture full 8MP stills while shooting video. Did you use the full 8MP mode? I noticed it can also shoot in a lower 2MP mode.

It does seem that the HD700 and 800 are turning out to be the low point of the Sanyo range.
The still shots were in 16:9 just like the video, since the camera cant refocus and use flash while recording it definitely seemed like they were frame captures from the video.
I didnt see any options of changing still shot quality while recording.
There was also a 12mp mode for still shots, how they got 12mp from an 8mp camera is beyond me. I have since returned it.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:01 AM   #67

interpolated enhanced after 5or 7 meg give or take a meg.

video is not but I am sure it is as well oncertain features orfunctions like Av input. ife applies to.

Also, I agree with the video and grabbinga frame off the clip, rather the camera's part, why would you be able to operate a flash while video andsnapping a pic, a lot ofpower, interruption to the video with noise etc,. I am sure if it was allowed it will not work out.

so rather say hey I missed that still even ifI had the feature to be able to cpture westill can go in the camera set to edit and choose a point in its video and sy perfect still moment , capture and save. We have that manual option :G

if I remember rioght casio or sanyo one or both :G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:59 AM   #68

Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone who bought that hd800 knew if it came with the HDMI docking station and that if you could change the language to english. If so then I plan on getting on.

Regards
sonic113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:28 PM   #69

Theres no docking station or remote.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:29 PM   #70

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
This is new:
Quote:
Each file is allowed to be created up to 4GB. After 4GB is reached, if the card has more than 4GB available, recording can continue as a new file. While the file is saving, although the video may show as recording, data will not be written (neither video nor audio) until the ‘save file' operation is completed.
Not sure if this means the operation is seamless, but it sounds as though a gap will be created. Why can the competitors get it right, and Sanyo's software engineers just not understand the proper use of buffers?

(this was taken from the Sanyo product page)
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...800/index.html
its not sanyo's fault. It is mr bill gates. Fat or fat32 has a file size limitation of 4gb. I think fat is less. ntfs is 1 terabyte or more and linux ext3 the same

it is an sd card issue. also, sanyo formats to these partition types as well. They use fat because it is more versitile accross all os platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote