Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:00 AM   #1

It looks like Akihibar has the low down see http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...+Hands-On.html
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:41 AM   #2

3ddnr, and chaser for video,and still, was the only extra I read.Basically the HD700 has exactlythe same, to the T I thought We see HD 1440x1080i or P and as well as a 60 FPS. a CmosSensor over a CCD wit h star trek lighting effectBy the pics shown all looks great, not sure what you're saying on comparison stills if the 700 is shown or if it takes a larger pic. one word softwarealso Firmware would be greatly appriciated for the 700 HD model. thanksfor the info.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:10 AM   #3

This had me excited at a possible improved HD700 at first but it still seems to have the same lens no doubt with the same barrel distortion and narrow angle view.

I wonder how much of the noise reduction is through an aggressive software algorithm and how much is simply because of a better sensor. The reason I say this, is that over aggressive noise reduction may produce a lot better looking video but will also remove the details.

One feature that caught my eye on the specs:

"Snap photos anytime, even during video filming, without changing modes or pausing the video." That last feature, I am sure, is the holy grail for many of us with still image shooting while videoing!

I certainly can't wait to see the video quality on this to see how it compares with the HD700.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4

When somebody posts a clip, I will take a good look at the AVC format and figure out the implications for computer codecs. The Quicktime logo on the product page worries me a little...

The old HD700 produced "9Mbps AVC Baseline @ L3.1" which is a pretty old format now, although fairly portable.

Face tracking is a real problem, I always switch it off for video. The problem comes because as a face (in a group) moves towards the camera, or away from the camera, the focus will change when you least expect it to.

Same lens. The HD800 could have been a product at the right place in the right time. It is sad. I will have to keep struggling with the limitations of my Kodak point-and-shoots. But at least their video is exemplary...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5

This is new:
Quote:
Each file is allowed to be created up to 4GB. After 4GB is reached, if the card has more than 4GB available, recording can continue as a new file. While the file is saving, although the video may show as recording, data will not be written (neither video nor audio) until the ‘save file' operation is completed.
Not sure if this means the operation is seamless, but it sounds as though a gap will be created. Why can the competitors get it right, and Sanyo's software engineers just not understand the proper use of buffers?

(this was taken from the Sanyo product page)
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...800/index.html

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6

Dear SANYO: Please include an EXTERNAL MICROPHONE INPUT on the next model.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:51 AM   #7

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
This is new:
Quote:
Each file is allowed to be created up to 4GB. After 4GB is reached, if the card has more than 4GB available, recording can continue as a new file. While the file is saving, although the video may show as recording, data will not be written (neither video nor audio) until the ‘save file' operation is completed.
Not sure if this means the operation is seamless, but it sounds as though a gap will be created. Why can the competitors get it right, and Sanyo's software engineers just not understand the proper use of buffers?

(this was taken from the Sanyo product page)
http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...800/index.html
Yes I wondered why they couldn't use a buffer which would effectively get over the 4GB limit. Perhaps there is some limitation in their hardware design?

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:52 AM   #8

The picture on the Akihabara News page shows a clear line in the plastic around the front of the unit, where the microphone flap exists on the HD1000. So there may be a microphone jack. let's wait and see...

Although, without a hotshoe, there's nowhere to put a microphone If you can't put the mic on the camera, IMO, you are better to use a specialized audio recorder for the mic, and sync the audio/video during post-prod.

ps: Second thoughts: This image makes it look a though only a headphone socket is under that flap. Who knows??
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news..._HD800_010.jpg

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:57 AM   #9

As for the CMOS noise level - it is NOT a good sign that the operator had selected the High Sensitivity HS 15fps mode when taking this indoors image here. Looks like the HD800 is no better than the HD700 for indoors shooting:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news..._HD800_020.jpg
or, in TinyURL format:
http://tinyurl.com/6mxdqn

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:17 AM   #10

I just wish they'd stop competing with Megapixels and reduce it back down to say 3 or 4MP which would help with the noise issue. That would still be a very decent size for what is supposed to be primarily a video camcorder.