Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 2, 2008, 1:11 AM   #11

So you'd recommend the Jazz and the A-HD over IS-DV 2.4?

And is this the Polaroid you mentioned?

http://www.target.com/Polaroid-Pixie...014521-2095367

Wait.. this looks more like it?

Both of them say "batteries included" but I want something with a rechargeable battery and an AC adapter.

grantmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:55 AM   #12

grantmaster wrote:
Quote:
So you'd recommend the Jazz and the A-HD over IS-DV 2.4?

And is this the Polaroid you mentioned?

http://www.target.com/Polaroid-Pixie...014521-2095367

Wait.. this looks more like it?

Both of them say "batteries included" but I want something with a rechargeable battery and an AC adapter.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:25 PM   #13

Hi,

I found Jazz 178 for pretty cheap on eBay, but 188 for just about the same price. Because 178 was almost out of bidding time, I didn't have too much time to make the most educated choice. I realized, though, that if 188 was better simply as the higher number suggested, that you'd have recommended 188 over 178. I bid on the 178 with like, 40 or so seconds left.

But then, of course, 188 was probably considered to be more expensive and lower in value-per-price.

I was just wondering, if they were the same price ($90), would you still prefer 178 over 188? Again, my main concern is recording in low light setting and other things being bells and whistles.

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:40 PM   #14

rgvcam/ I didn't realize I should've commented back. That was many posts ago... I may be able to do something about the lighting, but it'd always be more preferred to have a camera that can handle low-light setting.

And, I assumed that these cameras don't generally have a maximum length of continuous recording... right? as in, no problem shooting an hour-long dialogue?

(Thanks guys... you're the only experts I can find on this matter.)
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:47 PM   #15

I think the 178 and 188 are pretty much the same camera apart from the larger LCD. They will easily record for an hour. The problem is not video length, it's battery life. I don't tend to record that length all in one go so I cannot say how long the battery might last but often it is less than I would like, The Jazz may well go that distance from what fishycomics says. My Aiptek MPVR and Sanyo C40 don't seem to make it anywhere near to the hour mark on one battery.

Does it have to be a solid state camera? You could always look for an older used tape base camcorder as they tended to have much better low light ability. My old JVC SVHS-C camera was excellent in low light compared to many of todays camcorders. You just need a cheap capture card. Of course you lose the convenience if you are planning to record a lot.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:57 AM   #16

Battery life won't be a concern because I'll have it plugged in. Longerbattery would better though, just in case... I do have an old analogue camcorder that records fine, but it's the convenience factor that makes me want to use a SD based recorder.

I'm a counselor in training, so I record my sessions with my clients in rather dimly lit rooms (sometimes bright rooms though) for about an hour, and if something interesting happens within that hour, I review it with my supervisor for 5-10 minutes. It's just so much easier to have the sessions to be recorded into files rather than portions of tapes... I can just delete the ones I don't need, and when I do review the session, it's so much easier cuing up the session onmy notebook(scroll bar) than with rewind/fast forwards.

My impression so far is that Jazz 178 would be adequate for my use.I don't need good colors more than I need recognizable expressions.

It puzzles me why they would market nearly identical cameras at 50 dollar price difference and it makes me feel in a way that I blew off $50 just because I could've gotten the more expensive on at the same price, but I guess I got an adequate camera at an adequate price.

Thank you guys for your help!
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:43 AM   #17

1 record as long as you hve room on a sd card and the battery life , so yes 1 hour is not the max it is the limit and this one will go 90 minutes of its battery,.

2 178 take the 50.00 saved treat yourself or put away the savings. had both and there is absolutely no difference in video somewill say but there is none.

grantmaster wrote:
Quote:
Battery life won't be a concern because I'll have it plugged in. Longerbattery would better though, just in case... I do have an old analogue camcorder that records fine, but it's the convenience factor that makes me want to use a SD based recorder.

I'm a counselor in training, so I record my sessions with my clients in rather dimly lit rooms (sometimes bright rooms though) for about an hour, and if something interesting happens within that hour, I review it with my supervisor for 5-10 minutes. It's just so much easier to have the sessions to be recorded into files rather than portions of tapes... I can just delete the ones I don't need, and when I do review the session, it's so much easier cuing up the session onmy notebook (scroll bar) than with rewind/fast forwards.

My impression so far is that Jazz 178 would be adequate for my use.I don't need good colors more than I need recognizable expressions.

It puzzles me why they would market nearly identical cameras at 50 dollar price difference and it makes me feel in a way that I blew off $50 just because I could've gotten the more expensive on at the same price, but I guess I got an adequate camera at an adequate price.

Thank you guys for your help!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote