Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:25 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a cheap video-recording device. I had a couple of very old-school hybrid cams such as the mega pen cam and another that was even older. As I don't need anything fancy, I searched for some Aiptek solution and ended up here.

OK. I basically need to filmsome conversations taking place in anot-really-brightly-lit room. If you've ever been to a psychologist's therapy room, it'll be like that. Likewise, there won't be much action going on. Just talking. It'd be nice to be able to recognizechanges in facial expressions.

I know how these cameras don't do too well in low-light setting, and I was wondering whether there has been any improvements.

I'm looking for the cheapest good enough solution. It seems that I can get an IS-DV for 60 bucks and MVPR for 80 bucks from the AIPTEK homepage.

1. Does IS-DV accept 2GB SD cards? The specs say its maximum is 1GB, but I saw a youtube (I think it was fishcomic) that said it takes up to 2GB.

2. Will MPVR be worth the extra 20 bucks over IS-DV?

I know these are ancient models, but if anyone still remembers, please help me out!

Grant.
grantmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:51 AM   #2

Grant. I have these cams.

the IS-DV is the bettercam no vid and aud synch issues

the MPVR will ahve VId and aud synch issues

but both willsuffer in a low lit enviorment

get a A-HD

the MPVR hasa remote and not the IS-DV

yes 60.00 is the best price for the IS-DV but 119.99 should be for the A-HD

added note

Grant the JAzz Elite HDV-178 99.99 at walmarts has motion detection a much better HD cam 30.00 more willwork foryou lowlight is improved and will lose some color go a lil grey

I deffently recommend that:|

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:44 AM   #3

Thanks,

I read somewhere that Aiptek took care of the MPVR's sync issue with a firmware update. Isn't that true? And I can expect that the low-light issue will be equally present and one is not better than the other?

Thanks for other recommendations... but I'm not sure if my cause is worth spending that much on.

p.s.

(Wow, you're fishycomics. Great vids on youtube!)
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:45 AM   #4

Oh wait, the Jazz Elite for 99, not 199? I'll def'netly check that out.

I can't seem to find it on Walmart.com. Did I miss the deal? :sad:
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5

Aiptek IS-DV will accept 4 gig sdhc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"tehe jazz Elite is a store bought in the asle where the photo dept is at 99.00

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1 hundred bucks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the Aptek MPVr 1501 firmware was fixed to 1707 that corrected issues but nevereven corrected the actual vid aud synch. today this obsolete camera is still sold and not sure if ever corrected.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have 1501, 1707. 2100 I no longer fool around with a defective unit WE, worked hard to get the correction and spent tons of money for a failure.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Yes that is me welcome to my world
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:29 PM   #6

grantmaster,

I used to have an IS-DV before I lost it and have a soft spot for it as it was my first solid state camera that got me into this. I remember being pleasantly surprised that this 'toy' camera had quite decent video and I was hooked. It doesn't appear to have any sound sync issues as Fishycomics said.

However... It is unusable in poor lighting so would not be a good choice. The same goes for the MPVR as I have that too.

Solid state cameras do seem to be getting better and as Fishycomics said, you would be better of getting a current model.

I have a Jazz HDV178 as well and it does quite well in indoor lighting as long as you don't mind the muted colors.

Because lighting is so variable I would highly suggest buying any camera from a place that has a good return policy even if you have to pay a little more. It is very difficult to judge if a camera will cope with a certain lighting setup without actually trying it.

If the worse comes to the worse, are you able to compromise and increase the lighting somehow (ie extra lamps etc.) to compensate?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:13 PM   #7

Grant............

I have a video answer for you, allow me just a lil time. it is a matter of saving and loading.

in order to purchase

Worst light Aiptek IS-DV $50-130

Poor light Aiptek MPVr $50-149

Fair light Jazz Elite HDV-178 $99

good light Aiptek A-HD$99-150

Better light Sanyo Xacti Hd700 $299-500 (hd800 soon to be relased)

Best light, _______________

camcorders 199.99 and up

In a litroom by day light, el cheapo blinds drawn Sun not shining in 2 40 watt flourecent lights (15 watt) overhead for indoor lighting, walls white, one with a mirror, other with a bluescreen. floor grey, but wood underneath:G

You'll see me talk, walk to the cam, turn on talk walk, turn off and the sensers adjust (bluish hue) lighting creamy coloring. Sound from one cam, to other video from one cam to other. all are prefrence.

The video is only a demo and should help you decide in a heart beat LOL

look for it back here in a seperate post and on vimeo.com

sanyo file is Hi def converted due to software hating mp4
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:59 PM   #8

http://vimeo.com/1449289

Your video enjoy
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:38 PM   #9

Wow, thanks for the video!

It's a pity that the sync issue is there. I would've been okay with its low light quality.

As my objective is still to find the cheapest good enough, I'll look around for the Jazz Elite.

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:16 PM   #10

you're welcomed there are many types of cams out there, like RGVCAM and I given you great pointers I standclear of EBAY, and go Amazon, for the return policy. a store purchase is best you have that option to walk in and return.

sales will be coming up, but have not seen any for the cameras at the local ones. Do not forget the newer IS-DV 2.4 I used to have it and again will pointto the jazz and A-HD.

I am sure the polaroid at target if they still have them will be a good deal.

grantmaster wrote:
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the video!

It's a pity that the sync issue is there. I would've been okay with its low light quality.

As my objective is still to find the cheapest good enough, I'll look around for the Jazz Elite.

Thanks guys!