Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:06 PM   #1

I have thought about andstill thinkingabout but know I will not get one.

I have some points that will drop the price down a little

The three models do not look bad. Iwas always happy with my older style DXG 305 506v, and what I remember with HAn-Shing the same company model.

I am reading it takes a li-on or rechargable aaa's is it a lipo or are they just saying get any rechargables? on all three.

Amazon shows these 142-180 at walmart. as well as radioshack.

so t hese are out some are online only,

I do not like he record button or buttons

I would love to test one without my $$$ or I have to pass. being a mod gets me to special gifts :G

595v

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:51 PM   #2

My DXG567 recorded continuously for 2 hours on two Eneloop rechargeable NiMH AA cells. This was not one of its failings. If only the auto white balance had worked as well as the battery

I tested a DXG569 at a local RadioShack. Image was not bad, nowhere near perfect, but not bad, especially considering the price. It also ran on the same AA Eneloops, but I didn't test it for more than a few seconds.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 4:13 AM   #3

I will be glad to see samples from the 595v and 596.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:18 AM   #4

The DXG-567 and DXG-569 were 4Mbps Ambarella.

Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:51 AM   #5

The newer models are something like 11.5 or 13.5mb/s top data rate, ambarella, that should be enough to get over most motion problems and much noise. I think this will be acceptable. The best ambarella camcorder at the moment (that I know of) maybe the 1080p Samsung camcorder (which has higher data-rate, a better sensor chip (probably not much rolling shutter there) and true 1920*1080). I am still waiting for the pocket Camera ambarella camera they cancelled years ago, that promised a data-rate around 1-17mb/s+.

Still this Samsung might not be worth buying compared to the HF10/100 and especially the HF11. I also don't know how the Sony sr12 fairs, but I like the sensor image.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:22 PM   #6

Wayne, I have shot quite a lot with the HF100 at 24p, pulled down with AVIsynth and VirtualDub. I frequently examine single frame by single frame. I haven't seen a single frame at 12Mbps 1440x1080 in which I can identify a compression problem. I am going to start using the 1920x1080 17Mbps on the next shoot. It looks good in the lab...

Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:59 AM   #7

The 6 frames less per second is like running 30fps at 14.4-15mb/s. Once you get over the hump (data rate starvation) you notice a lot of reduction in quality issues for the particular manufacturers codec your using. If you look at the Aiptek's, they get over a lot of problems at 9 or so mb/s and should be better at 12mb/s. But put it through hard scenes and then examine deeply. Maybe Ambarella has improved chip performance again, they are up to series three of the chip, but I still rather see 18mb/s+ consumer and 36mb/s+ professional, which would get over many things with suitable quality. If you let me examine hard scenes at 12mb/s Canon I probably could still pick problems with it in the large screen true res (non-interpolated/non-reprocessed/filtered) scenarios I am interested in. Remember, I even picked fault with the Cineform codec.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:39 AM   #8

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I live in the UK and I'm looking to buy an SD Card camcorder and I came across this : http://www.independentoffers.co.uk/p...tm?Ref=IND.FR#

According to the website the model number is: DVH-595, I'm guessing it's a DXG product re-branded as Horizon for sale here in the UK.

Is this true? and would anyone recommend this product, is it any good and worth purchasing?

Your help would be much appreciated, Thanks :-)
Mudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:48 AM   #9

Caution about DXG-595 models, thee is a lesser 595, and the 595v that has 1080p, but even then I don't know if that holds true in all markets.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:40 PM   #10

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Caution about DXG-595 models, thee is a lesser 595, and the 595v that has 1080p, but even then I don't know if that holds true in all markets.
Thanks dude, this model only has 720p as far as I'm aware, but I don't mind that.

Even considering that, is it worth purchasing? Is it a good all-round camcorder?

You guys are well versed in DXG products, so you know much more than I do, so on personal opinions would you recommend this product?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help :-)

Mudz is offline   Reply With Quote