Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

View Poll Results: Was this information helpful?
Yes 6 85.71%
No 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:01 PM   #11

Your modification would probably be a big hit at one of these festivals though from the article and maybe the web page it looks like they're a little behind the curve of folks here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DDHP1268EU.DTL

http://pahnation.com/

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:36 PM   #12

Yea, I've been thinking of making a short "film" using this camera once I sort out some of the finer details. The type of shots I'm capable of getting now have really started to inspire me.

I made this short video effect with still images using the modified A-Hd+ and a couple of lenses including the stock lens.

http://www.vimeo.com/1499462

Incidentally, I saw some tutorials in the forum for modifying the camera's mic but I think I'm going to take the same approach I used back when I was shooting Super 8 and 16 mm and just use a separate dedicated device for audio.
capulet_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:58 AM   #13

Nice work but here you really put effort for making better lens in Aiptek. I have used binoculars as in digiscoping but haven't come out with any good results. Zoom is main thing which I miss most in my Aiptek. Could you do project where you add zoom lens to camera?
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:20 PM   #14

That large one was a laugh. The internals could be re-cased to make a nicer body.

I have some super 8 (and bigger) lens here for this purpose, I was thinking of doing it to an Sanyo hd1 a few years ago.

I will have to come back to read it, but if you have a computer model of the components, people could take to get milled for themselves?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:38 AM   #15

Still busy elsewhere, but it occurs to me, that if you can tap the circuits on board digital or analogue HD video feed in circuit, you can record higher quality to an external recording device or PC. Combined with a lens, you have the start of high quality camera. I don't know many people doing this sort of work these days.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:44 PM   #16

Yess it's a lot of work.. but it's more for fun and to be able to have something pretty great for a great price. Also, if you whant the real and perfect picture, grab a RED cam 2k for about 3000$ It's ready to go. But playing with these lens it's pretty great.

So i had just place an order for 5 different fix lens. To be able to fit over my 35mm adapter. And with this cam, it's ok to go on beach with it ! But a bigger one who got sand or water.. not interesting.

For the fix lens, i got 6-8-12 and a 2.8mm I hope i will be able to let them fit directly and got the best possible macro.
Opcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:14 AM   #17

Yes, I aim to buy a Red Scarlet anyway, but this is just in the meantime interesting, and can be considerably cheaper than a scarlet. If the right parts were available it would cost less than $200 (there was a good part I knew, but it has a design feature restricting bandwidth) and there are newer better options now available.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:46 AM   #18

capulet_x -

Thanks. This is really an interesting idea. I love the idea of a cheap video equivalent of a DSLR.

How hard do you think it would be to take out the lens, remove the ir filter, and replace the lens? I just got an A-HD on ebay with a cracked case & missing tripod mount, and I may sacrifice it to take a quick stab at ir videography...
britalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:04 PM   #19

It's been a while since I've had time to post here. I've been working on a lot of projects and some patent submissions but I'm back now and will try to respond to some of you.

Quenaelin - All of the lenses were zoom lenses. Did you mean you wanted me to post a video zooming into something?

Wayne12- The large lens was definitely awkward. I considered casting an aluminum body for the camera but in the end it would not really add support were it was needed; namely, the PCB board mount. It also wasn't worth the expense or effort and so I decided on building an external bracket / rig that would take the stress off of the internal plastic PCB mount, add rigidity to the setup and also a little weight for handheld stability. Also I think people won't snicker as readily if I take it out to shoot something. In reference to the question about a computer model. I don't have one but I do have the dimensions and hand drawn plans which I will post if anyone is interested. Oh, and I wouldn'y know where to begin as far as tapping the HD video feed on the chip.

Opcod- I checked out the RED cam. It is incredibly cool. I have a friend in New York who has had the opportunity to use it and he raves about it. My operation simply can't justify a camera like that right now but I am keeping my eye on its developmentt.

britalb- The IR filter is attached to the back of the pinhole lens that is screwed into the PCB board mount inside the camera (see pics above) If you remove the lens the filter will come out with it. If you are delicate with an XACTO knife you could probably pry it off however I doubt that you will be able to replace it if you change your mind. In that case, you could hold or make something to hold two hot mirror IR cut off filters in front of the lens. Maybe a simple UV filter of the same size as the IR filters you choose with a metal strip epoxied to it. Drill a hole into the metal strip so that you can attach it to the bottom of your camera with a 1/4"-20 screw and then bend the metal strip and attached UV filter combo so that it is positioned in front of the camera lens. With that setup you can screw on your like-sized IR filters so that you can block out infra-red when you like and remove them quickly when you would like to take IR video and photos. And yes, you need two IR filters stacked as the CMOS sensor in the A-HD+ is very sensitive to IR.

Okay, so I've attached pics of the lens support bracket / rig for my modified A-HD+. I will post newer and steadier video soon for those interested. As you can imagine, completely assembled it weighs about as much as a pro camera this size. The weight helps with stability. I can still remove the camera when I use the factory lens or the smaller lenses but when I use larger lenses the setup has a lot of support and can be used as robustly as you would any prosumer camera. I also tapped a couple of tripod mounting places in different sizes and made an audio exchange box that will allow me to attach different audio sources and feed them into a small stereo digital audio recorder. As I mentioned in earlier post I opted to record quality sound separately much like I did when shooting 16 mm film years ago since the Aiptek A-HD+ seems to support only mono at the board.
That's it for now. Video to be posted soon.
Cheers, Everyone.
Attached Images

capulet_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:41 PM   #20

This is just awesome- would love to see some wildlife footage while tripod mounted!
Is anyone else doing these things- any websites anywhere?

Would love to adapt slr lenses to one of these Aipteks and shoot tripod mounted!

Capulet- have you tried using a hot mirror filter or a simple bluish cooling filter to offset the warm colors?

Also- do you have photos showing the opening of the case- where did you open it from? I have the Go-HD and I see nowhere to open it?
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote