Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:18 PM   #1

I recently purchased both the Action HD and A-HD+ to compare because I could not get a good answer on which one was better . Here is my unbiased impression of both of these cameras.

Construction
A-HD+: The model I received was black and what I noticed is that the black model tends to pick up oil marks and dirt much easier than my silver Action HD. Overall the construction felt very cheap. The LCD has a matte finish and doesn't look as good as the glossy finish of the Action HD. However, the A-HD+ is a little lighter than the Action.

Action HD: This unit feels much more dense and less hollow than the A-HD+. Additionally, size-wise this model is actually a tiny bit less bulky than the A-HD+. The LCD panel on this unit is a glossy and looks better than the matte A-HD+. The Action HD also has an LED night light while the A-HD+ does not.

Winner: Action HD

Accessories (I'm only listing the differences here.)
A-HD+: This model includes a 1200 mAH battery.

Action HD: This model includes a 1000 mAH battery, a tripod (14.99 @ Aiptek) and a remote (9.99 @ Aiptek).

Macro Performance
A-HD+: Macro mode is enabled via a plastic pull down switch. While in this mode I could not get close to an object and keep the unit in focus. The closest I could get was around 7-12 inches close to the object, which totally defeated the purpose of Marco mode.

Action HD: Macro mode was enabled electronically, by pressing up on the joystick. Once in this mode I could get as close as 2 inches and the auto-focus would keep the object in focus. This is where this camera really shines.

Picture Performance
A-HD+: Since there is no focus on this unit. Most pictures on the camera will look fuzzy or out of focus.

Action HD: Before you take a picture you can press down 1/2 way to focus the image. Once the unit is focused the centering square will turn green and you can press the button all the way down.

Speaker Performance
A-HD+: Picked up less audible noise than the Action HD.

Action HD: Picked up more audible noise than the the A-HD+.

Winner: A-HD+

Zoom Performance
A-HD+: The 4 X digital zoom is pretty useless and not smooth at all.

Action HD: The 3 X optical zoom is decent and smooth. It is useful in some situations.

Winner: Action HD.

Focus Performance
A-HD+: This unit has a fixed focus lens. Once you are dialed in this unit performs as it should

Action HD: This unit has auto-focus, however in low light situations the sensor will get lost and continuously zoom in and out searching for an object to zoom on. When I took this unit bowling it continously search for an object when the ball was moving down the lane. This is the major flaw of the unit.

Winner: A-HD+
Video Performance @ 720P/60 FPS:
A-HD+:
Here is a video in focus.
http://www.vimeo.com/1461802

Here is a video out of focus.
http://www.vimeo.com/1461830

Action HD:
http://www.vimeo.com/1461730
You can hear the excess noise.

Winner: You can decide.

Price:
A-HD+: $150.00 USD
Action HD: $200.00 USD
Winner: If you already have a tripod and do not want the remote than the A-HD+ is $50.00 less than the Action HD.

Conclusion:
A-HD+:
Pros: Cheaper than the Action HD. Fixed focus helps when recording objects from a far or objects from a mounted tripod. Sound is much more consistent on this unit as opposed to the Action HD.

Cons: Digital zoom is awful. Cheap feeling plastic construction. Macro mode is awful. most picture images will be out of focus.

Ideal user: Someone who is looking for a budget camera who will not use the zoom when recording their subjects. Fixed distance (to avoid out of focused images) recording.

Action HD:
Pros: Accessories (tripod and remote). Macro mode is great. Pictures are not bad.

Cons: In low light the auto-focus will search a lot causing your video to be out of focus at points during your recording. The microphone picks up a lot of noise.

Ideal user: Action (shameless plug) users. Someone who wants to zoom in and out or will be moving a lot when filming. Macro users will want this camer over the A-HD+.

Winner: Action HD. I would recommend spending the extra money. If Aiptek ever releases a new firmware to disable auto-focus this camer is going to be a much better bargain than the A-HD+.
D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2

I'll continue to post a review of both units. Let me know what every would like to see compared.

I'll compare the following metrics below in my next review.

-Low Light Performance
-Battery Life Performance
-1080P performance

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3

Action HD in low light:

http://www.vimeo.com/1462096

A-HD+ in low light:

http://www.vimeo.com/1462100

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:42 PM   #4

After reviewing the videos it does look like the A-HD+ provides better image quality (less grainy) at a distance in medium/low light than the Action HD. However, the Action HD provides much better image quality in macro. In natural light both cameras are perform equally well.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:55 AM   #5

excellent review.

I did mention over and over, and been asked over and over. Icannot tell you hw many people cannot make up their minds:G

A-Hd plus macro 28 inchs the closest manual has that info it is not macro if not 4 inchs LOL:Gagree.

video wise no complaints one model will suffer in daylight more

lcd thescreen yep one is oldschool and the other just a film hate that

target bought (black) always troubles the list goes on and on

rather rant and rave ... enjoy which one you keep

99.99-119.99 Aiptek A-HD+ 15o standard price

Action 199.99 lowest price 185 stil equiel to the Aip GO LMAO
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:34 AM   #6

Fishy there are problems with the black unit from Target?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:39 PM   #7

I am unsure I have one and well the cam will kinda be on a Lsd trip at times but only once in a blue moon LOl what problems I again unsure

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Fishy there are problems with the black unit from Target?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:12 PM   #8

Another comparison video around 7:00pm in the evening.

A-HD+:

http://www.vimeo.com/1468439

Action HD:

http://www.vimeo.com/1468507

Both were shot @ 720P @ 60 FPS with a wide angle lens attached.