Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:01 PM   #1

I should receive this unit before the end of the week. Once I receive it I'll post a review.

I did call DXG tech support this morning and found out that there was a typo on in the manual.

The camera does not do 720P @ 60 FPS!!! It only does 720P @ 30 FPS. I confirmed EIS does work but only @ D1 and 720P/30 FPS. Additionally, while shooting @ 1080P/30 FPS you are limited to 2 X digital zoom. So basically @ 1080P you have no zoom capability. With regards to Macro mode, the distance is 5 cm or 2 inches with is on par with the Aiptek Action HD.

Additionally, I heard that when you zoom in and out @ 720P/30 FPS the audio input level decreases to avoid picking up the sound of the motor.

No firmware releases are in the pipe either to enable 60 FPS @ 720P which just irks me!
Attached Images

D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:20 PM   #2

Idiots! They should never mute the audio, as you can always overdub some B-roll. Samsung did that with their NV24, and had to issue a firmware upgrade (as I recall...)

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:29 PM   #3

well zoom , digital 2 x for1080 or 4x 720 is not good can be hundreds of time still not good

I'll take 2x optical anyday over digital.

FPS typo, that hurtsb/c you're paying how much and we are paying the price due to typo error? Glad iam not the gunea pig on this

but i wonder if Wecan get our hands on other models instead of going to Ebay for these?

Looking FWD to the whatever review it is on these
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:06 PM   #4

The only thing I'm looking forward to is going to be the 5 X optical zoom @ 720P. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If this things sucks I'm going to return it and buy another battery for my Action HD.

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
well zoom , digital 2 x for1080 or 4x 720 is not good can be hundreds of time still not good

FPS typo, that hurtsb/c you're paying how much and we are paying the price due to typo error? Glad iam not the gunea pig on this

but i wonder if Wecan get our hands on other models instead of going to Ebay for these?

Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:04 AM   #5

fat or thin, the bulkiness plastics well hoping it is not too cheap looking.

samsung , made a model and HVX10 I think it is 35 optical zoom and only films in fishycomics wrote:
Quote:

[/quote]
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:26 AM   #6

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Idiots! They should never mute the audio, as you can always overdub some B-roll. Samsung did that with their NV24, and had to issue a firmware upgrade (as I recall...)
I think a lot of the Samsungs do this. My sister-in-law has a Samsung camera and it is very disconcerting when you get to a part where they zoom and the sound mutes.

I have always wondered why they haven't solved the zoom motor noise problem yet. I wonder if they could somehow include two mics, one that samples the zoom motor noise and the other for the actual audio recording and then subtract the motor noise recording from the audio track onboard. I am guessing part of the problem is that it would be difficult to block outside sounds and isolate just the motor noise from the internal motor recording mic.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #7

If I had to guess, I would assume that the problem has to do with the direction the market is moving. More and more manufacturers are concerned with decreasing the size and weight of these units so much so that they tend to put the priority of a portability above usability and functionality. Additionally, if they are using the same motors they have always been using in smaller casing you can only expect the internal operating noise of the camera to become more and more noticeable as the unit decreases in size. I would assume that they would have to improve on the design of the motor, which I assume they outsource from another manufacturer.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
I think a lot of the Samsungs do this. My sister-in-law has a Samsung camera and it is very disconcerting when you get to a part where they zoom and the sound mutes.

I have always wondered why they haven't solved the zoom motor noise problem yet. I wonder if they could somehow include two mics, one that samples the zoom motor noise and the other for the actual audio recording and then subtract the motor noise recording from the audio track onboard. I am guessing part of the problem is that it would be difficult to block outside sounds and isolate just the motor noise from the internal motor recording mic.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:40 PM   #8

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
If I had to guess, I would assume that the problem has to do with the direction the market is moving. More and more manufacturers are concerned with decreasing the size and weight of these units so much so that they tend to put the priority of a portability above usability and functionality. Additionally, if they are using the same motors they have always been using in smaller casing you can only expect the internal operating noise of the camera to become more and more noticeable as the unit decreases in size. I would assume that they would have to improve on the design of the motor, which I assume they outsource from another manufacturer.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Trevmar wrote:
Quote:

Which is why some kind of audio filtering technology may be necessary since a smaller device doesn't allow much room, if any, for any acoustic padding. There is going to be a limit to the useful size of the motor as well.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:28 PM   #9

just forsome ifo ORDRO is the other name of this company for thecam
Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:29 PM   #10

and VIVIKAI as well