Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 7, 2008, 2:20 AM   #1

I shot some HDV178 video from onboard a model rocket. STUNNING results! Best $100 I ever spend on a rocket camera by far!

Problem is the video is nearly USELESS to me. my files are typically over 250mb. I can not put 250mb files online. The part I want is a FRACTION of that. IE I want to "cut" the video to just include lift off to landing. not the prepping and walking out to recover the rocket.

I do NOT want to reencode the video. I just want to trim it. I installed the FFDSHOW file from the Disc and this solved the playback issue. both VLC Media Player and Virtual Dub can not interact with the files.

I edit them with vdub using direct stream. It seems to work fine it shows me frames etc.. it does it but the RESULT is unplayable. Media Player does NOTHING and VLC will only play the audio.

Suggestions? I JUST need to TRIM it without recompressing it.

Thanks!
Chris Taylor
http://www.naramlive.com/

nerys71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:00 AM   #2

vimeo will allow up to 500 meg per sundays each sunday refreshs

1 magex mvie editer 12 I used total that came with the pkg
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 9:24 PM   #3

Yes I have noticed there seems to be a bug in VirtualDub when trying totrim the output from the Jazz HDV178.

If you set theposition so that the beginning is at the start of the original clipregardless of where the end is positionedthen it seems to work fine. If the beginning is selected anywhere after the start then all you get is the audio and a constant still image!

Media impression that came with the camera will of course allow you to trim the video but will not output in the original format. I can only assume this was a deliberate ployby Arcsoft to get you to shell out for the full version (assuming of course it will output in the original format as well). They don't seem to have a trial version to test this out, only an intro version that sounds suspiciously like the crippled version they already supply with these devices which would mean you'd have to buy it to find out.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4

Will this also work if I leave the END in place? IE edit once to crop the last part and edit again to get the first part?

Is there any other program that will let me alter these files without recompressing them?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:45 PM   #5

I test this and its NO. I can do as you say cut the end but I can never ever touch the beginning or it just fails.

I can not even transcode if I touch the beginning. SO I have to cut the end transcode whatever's left to something like divx THEN I can cut the start point on this divx file.

its a tolerable solution though I would still like to find a way to cut both ends without the transcode.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6

It's a pity that the mpeg streamclip utility from squared5.com didn't work on these files. It's perfect for use it on my Sanyo C40, but of course that encodes to regular mpeg4 format.

Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:23 PM   #7

Ithink I am going to have to look around fora 'more standard' camera. I just downloaded a trial of Ulead Video Studio 11 plus (because they have a reduced price until August 15th) to see if I could edit these files.

Ulead does take h264 as input but the very same thing happens as in Virtualdub. If you set the start of the video clip to anywhere other than the start you get no output which is very annoying! This makes it useless.

I am guessing the non standard avi container is to blame.

Any other video software anyone can recommend? It has to be vista compitible (and prefereable Vista 64 which is why I downloaded ulead)
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:17 PM   #8

1. did you trial the magix movie pro editer 12, 12 plus a free program after rebates less shipping and tax, at times.

2. the video will show how it works . I have said this before andwell another video again showing it working.

jazz file does not show . .

http://www.youtube.com/v/wbAhN06Dtaw
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:42 AM   #9

The clips from the Aiptek and Jazz camcorders are not MiniDV or anything like MiniDV when it comes to editing.

These clips are "long GOP" clips.

So if you want to edit without recompress... you're in for some disappointment.

Why?

Because practically NONE of the consumer video editing software can do it.

Take VideoStudio 11 Plus.

This software's MPEG editing is based on a MainConcept SDK.

It can edit MPEG-2 with "smart render" -- which means only "changed" portions of the timeline get recompressed.

Problem is... it doesn't work.

You get tiny little glitches -- if you look very closely at edit points -- and the same thing happens with Magix.

These little glitches are the result of the software attempting to confine "changes" to GOPs, which often don't fall on I-Frame boundaries.

I've given up on trying to make it work like MiniDV.

My best results come from using an intermediate codec to convert the long GOP clips to I-Frame format using either the FREE Huffy codec or the $300 Cineform.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:26 AM   #10

VirtualDub works fine to Trim files when you use AVIsynth as a frame-server. You can also trim the file in AVIsynth, once you locate the frame numbers for start and stop with VirtualDub (see the last line of the script below)

Here is a relatively complex AVisynth script:

DirectShowSource("input_file.MP4")
BilinearResize(960,528 )
Trim(6145,50434)

You could do the resize and trim in Virtualdub, of course. the $15 CoreAVC is a perfect H.264 decoder codec.

This method wil re-encode the video, but with H.264 encoders as good as x264, that is of course what you want to do. You will get a more efficient final file packing density.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote