Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:27 PM   #141

Dumb question - I'm new to camcorders and some of the jargon - but I've been thinking about diving in and getting started with HD video editing for fun and perhaps with my business as well (promo DVDs, high res video downloads on the website, etc).

I'd been hearing nothing but good about the Sony Sr-11, and am thinking about getting one. Then I stumbled on this DXG unit... I know "you pay for what you get", but leaving all the control features aside (I'm going to point and shoot full-automatic with whatever I get, for the most part), does anyone have a learned opinion how the absolute picture/video quality would differ between the Sony SR11 and this DXG?

Or am I just kidding myself that this would compare at all to the Sony picture quality?

Thanks!

swtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:46 AM   #142

Welcome aboard SWTC...

research deeper I say.

things I keep in mind when deciding

price, what's my budget, how much will I use it or sit on theshelf?

is it a dvc unit, or SDHC unit, how much are the sdhc, tapes cleaning tapes, even cleaning sdhc cards.

the info can go on and on.....................

samples , seeing in person, and asking who own will help you decide

swtc wrote:
Quote:
Dumb question - I'm new to camcorders and some of the jargon - but I've been thinking about diving in and getting started with HD video editing for fun and perhaps with my business as well (promo DVDs, high res video downloads on the website, etc).

I'd been hearing nothing but good about the Sony Sr-11, and am thinking about getting one. Then I stumbled on this DXG unit... I know "you pay for what you get", but leaving all the control features aside (I'm going to point and shoot full-automatic with whatever I get, for the most part), does anyone have a learned opinion how the absolute picture/video quality would differ between the Sony SR11 and this DXG?

Or am I just kidding myself that this would compare at all to the Sony picture quality?

Thanks!

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:41 AM   #143

I just ordered the DXG-595V from BH Photo over the weekend. Originally I had ordered it from buy.com's marketplace, but the retailer I used was out of stock and didn't tell anyone. So, I cancelled that and re-ordered.

I've noticed that pretty much every site has an old picture for the camera. I believe that's because even DXGs site has the wrong picture. They all show the regular 595. If you go to DXGs main site, not the US one, they don't even show the 595v, just 595 and 596. I wonder where the 595v differs from the 596.

I've read through this thread, but unless I missed it I haven't seen any mention of that difference. If anyone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

BTW, fish and d1pham, your videos were excellent and lead to my decision to get the cam. This will be my first camcorder, since it's the first one I can afford that's better than a webcam.

mastermatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:47 PM   #144

I order the camera from Amazon and blue camera has 10x zoom black has 20x.i
hope i get the black.it was DXG-595V
batman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:28 PM   #145

I'm glad I was able to help.

mastermatt111 wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the DXG-595V from BH Photo over the weekend. Originally I had ordered it from buy.com's marketplace, but the retailer I used was out of stock and didn't tell anyone. So, I cancelled that and re-ordered.

I've noticed that pretty much every site has an old picture for the camera. I believe that's because even DXGs site has the wrong picture. They all show the regular 595. If you go to DXGs main site, not the US one, they don't even show the 595v, just 595 and 596. I wonder where the 595v differs from the 596.

I've read through this thread, but unless I missed it I haven't seen any mention of that difference. If anyone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

BTW, fish and d1pham, your videos were excellent and lead to my decision to get the cam. This will be my first camcorder, since it's the first one I can afford that's better than a webcam.

D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:37 PM   #146

The Sony should be clearly better, better color, better latitude, better noise, better compression, and probably better auto. Have a look at it in the dark and high contrast, shooting through window from inside store. Most of this you should notice some difference, and compression you will notice it on some scenes with a bigger screen. But if you shoot with perfect lighting and simple still scene (like in store demo stations) you might not notice as much.

The new canons should be better, they also offer a higher bit rate mode of 24mb/s.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...e-US-35437.htm
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-35436.htm

This Samsung is still better then the hybrids and you may be able to get it cheaper than the Sony. It is probably the best ambarella based camera you can buy, and uses a version of the sensor used in the Sony but with more pixels and less pixel performance.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-35416.htm

swtc wrote:
Quote:

I'd been hearing nothing but good about the Sony Sr-11, and am thinking about getting one.* Then I stumbled on this DXG unit... I know "you pay for what you get", but leaving all the control features aside (I'm going to point and shoot full-automatic with whatever I get, for the most part), does anyone have a learned opinion how the absolute picture/video quality would differ between the Sony SR11 and this DXG?

Thanks!

Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:40 AM   #147

When I go in thestores I alwayshope one day they'll set up for video testing, as like they did for tv entertainment. You have seats andcan sit andwatch the tube in different enviormental stages, but never when you go home to se up will you ever reproduce the same effects due to your place walls furniture etc................

this can hold true for cams. I look at the show case and when a circle is open wherethecam is I place the cam in to get a darker vid. but sometimes that security cable is the issue, only one or two places has fredom and very hard to do.

sony is not a low budget DX is and if you keeo to that level then you'll choose DXG
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:50 AM   #148

I returned my DXG-595V to walmart today, it just was not good enough. The main problems I had with it was the AF system, when zooming in to video small object like a person or animal it aways had trouble hunting between the background and the object I wanted. Also the audio is just so weak it needs an external jack. Anyway I hope the next round will fix these issues.

DXG Please:

Add manual focus (or at least let us fix the focus)

Add external microphone jack

Increase bitrate
thefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:02 PM   #149

Did any one of U upgrade firmware from 595 to 595v ?
I have dxg sold in europe as prakitca so I have old firmware (march 2008

Does any one look inside camera how to connect other microphone ?
eline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:39 PM   #150

Got mine from Walmart, thought I'd write in case any potential buyers are interested.
For the money this is the most awesome deal that I ever got. I've only recorded in 1080p so far, and it is awesome, as long as you are outside in the light and not moving the camera around fast. In the house it looks like an older panasonic or sanyo that records to those dv videos.

I use it on a Mac pro, and it works great..it uses quicktime so the mac recognizes it and plays without any upgrades (i only tried it in 10.5) and iphoto works as well as final cut pro.

If you are looking for an HD camera to record your own movies this may not be the one, unless you really know how to shoot...but it has a nice picture under outside conditions

I also transferred movies from the camera to a dvd and it plays perfectly on my xbox 360...

this is a kick ass camera, especially for $179!!!

I don't know much about HD cameras, does anyone know what would be the benefits with this camera in recording in 720p instead of 1080p, other than saving space on memory card or recording longer on a single card???

does it look better in 720p when you move around ??
emdog is offline   Reply With Quote