Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:32 AM   #211

Thanks.

I viewed the videos from the leading cameras and it seems to be Samsung, DXG, then Aiptek action HD. I am waiting to see this new 720p60 Aiptek camera we are talking about on the another thread. I prefer a pocket myself.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:43 AM   #212

It blows the Aiptek away. For long recordings, I like it better than my Sanyo HD700 as it just starts a new file when it hits the 4gb limit.
qtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:09 AM   #213

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks.

I viewed the videos from the leading cameras and it seems to be Samsung, DXG, then Aiptek action HD. I am waiting to see this new 720p60 Aiptek camera we are talking about on the another thread. I prefer a pocket myself.
HI Wayne, which Samsung are you speaking of?
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:48 AM   #214

Samsung Hmx20c It is an ambarella based camcorder, similar shape to the 595v with ambarella chip (and descent Sony sensor) for comparison (of a more expensive camera). It scores well for an Samsung, but they left out p50/60 modes and 720p, disappointing.

A pocket camera based on that Sony sensor, tweaked out to the max, with higher data rate for less than $400, would make a sweet camera. The 720p Samsung is available at circuit City for $399, I think it might of better than out cameras here too, (but I don't know about the sensor used in it).
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:06 AM   #215

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Samsung Hmx20c It is an ambarella based camcorder, similar shape to the 595v with ambarella chip (and descent Sony sensor) for comparison (of a more expensive camera). It scores well for an Samsung, but they left out p50/60 modes and 720p, disappointing.

A pocket camera based on that Sony sensor, tweaked out to the max, with higher data rate for less than $400, would make a sweet camera. The 720p Samsung is available at circuit City for $399, I think it might of better than out cameras here too, (but I don't know about the sensor used in it).
Hi Wayne,
At CC I see the SC-MX20, which is a standard def I think, and there is an SC-HMX20C, which I assume is the one that you are talking about, but it looks like it is 699. The DXG is looking better and better for the money

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:22 PM   #216

The big question is: Which shoots better video the Aiptek Action HD 1080P cam or this DXG 595V?

From the few downloadable videos it seems this DXG is the best of the affordable HD cams...what do you guys think?

(Best=video quality)
SteveNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:28 AM   #217

I agree, it seems like he quality has been creeping up on us, but the Z600 makes it seem so obvious.

Brachiopod, I was including it for completeness against the 595v in similar shape (as virtually no other cheap 1080 camerae comes in camcorder shape) as a comparison of what you can get for $200 versus $699 if you like, the next step up. If the $399 720p model used the same sensor, the value of the 595v would be more in question.

Virtually all cameras do video (are hybrids) now, in all price ranges. Eventually we will probably need a "Camera video" sub-forum.

The word hybrid is nice, but because most cameras do it, it is getting meaningless. The 595 is neither pocket or hybrid pistol grip shape. "Pocket Video/Hybrids" might be a better name here, for any price (as there are very few above $250 street).
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:13 AM   #218

Ok.. Cqan ANYONE tell me why all of everyone else's video clips are beautiful why mine looks like this?
http://www.vimeo.com/1778799
I had preety good lighting for being inside. The black corner seen near the end was I bumped the lens cover.

Other than that I was shooting in 1080p mode.

Should I stick with 720p 60 fps? And how do I do that? And can someone explain to me how to update firmware?

THANKS!!!
mcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:48 PM   #219

Has anyone tried to add an external power jack or change the lens?

I just purchased one and should be here next week.
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 3:46 PM   #220

McGamer,

You're shooting in less-than-optimal light inside and you're panning a little too fast for the autofocus to keep up with you. The firmware upgrade will help the autofocus speed. I would not use 720p mode; the bitrate is too low and the image is, in my opinion, greatly inferior to that produced in 1080p mode.

To upgrade the firmware, download the update from the DXG site. Unzip the folder. Format your SD card and copy the .bin file from the update into the root directory on the SD card (i.e., don't put it in a folder). Follow the instructions that came with the package and put the camera in service mode. There is no "negative of enter" button; just press enter on the "firmware" option in service mode, and the update will start automatically. I did not get the "reboot" message DXG says appears after you power the unit up after the update, but the firmware was updated successfully.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote