Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:08 PM   #241

Here's another example of this camera's performance in good light:

FILE0006.MOV

This is a short pan of the Indianapolis skyline. I'm impressed with how much detail is visible if you pause the vid, especially in the street below. Note how well-resolved the "exit" sign is on the parking garage on the right of the frame at the end of the pan.

On the negative side. note that the brick color is too "poppy" and not accurate. The brick structure is not well-resolved and shows artifacting.

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:50 PM   #242

brians238 wrote:
Quote:
tsg,

make sure that the .bin file for the update is in the root directory of the SD card; if it is in a folder on the SD card, it will not install.

Best,

Brian
Yes Brian, I did have it in the root directory. I did try renaming the file from DVH596.bin to DVH595.bin and that did seem to do something (though not sure what) since it did say "updating firmware". However, when I go back into service mode, it still shows the older 1.1 firmware.
tsg2513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:20 PM   #243

tsg--

I'm not sure what is happening with your update. I did not have to rename my .bin file (I can confirm that the file I downloaded was dvh596.bin).

The only suggestion I have is to reformat the card, redownload the firmware, restore the camera to the factory settings via the service menu, and try the install again.

Best,

Brian
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:22 PM   #244

Couple of interesting observations...

* 720p mode is much worse in low light, presumably due to the 1/60 second max shutter time.

* I get a weird horizontal and vertical banding effect in the 5MP still mode, it is not there at 3MP and 8MP.

* You might as well leave it at 3MP anyway, there is no improvement at 5MP.

* The max ISO in still mode appears to be 400. The minimum appears to be 100. The camera uses an auto ISO routine.

* The camera does not appear to have an aperture, exposure is controlled with the shutter and ISO. (yes, you see different f stops shown, but that is due to the different focal lengths used).

* The longest still exposure is 1/2 second in normal node, 1 second in "night" mode.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:51 AM   #245

anyone know where i can get extra batteries for a good price? i read somewhere that someone bought two NP120 batteries for $10. anyone know where i can get a deal like this? i tried PMing the guy but no luck.
killacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:06 AM   #246

killacam wrote:
Quote:
anyone know where i can get extra batteries for a good price? i read somewhere that someone bought two NP120 batteries for $10. anyone know where i can get a deal like this? i tried PMing the guy but no luck.
I just bought 2 of them for $10 or $11 including shipping from the user "orphanbiker" on ebay. I've bought from him many times, always cheap and fast and the batteries work. Not associated with him.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:43 AM   #247

I bought 2 2000mAh batteries from a vendor on Amazon for $5 each. I like using Amazon as I have a CC with them. The vendor was "thememstore". I also got a 8gb SDHC class 6 card for about $14 plus shipping.
Nightowl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:12 PM   #248

If I purchase an SDHC 8 gig card, does it need to be formatted before I place it in the camera? If so, how do I formatthe card? I have a PC, but it doesn't have a SD card reader. Can I format it while it is in the camera? Any suggestions? As you can tell, I'm new to this. BTW, based on this forum I ordered my new DXG-595V the other day. Should have it in a few days. Thanks!!!
Latechslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:33 PM   #249

Latechslack wrote:
Quote:
If I purchase an SDHC 8 gig card, does it need to be formatted before I place it in the camera? If so, how do I formatthe card? I have a PC, but it doesn't have a SD card reader. Can I format it while it is in the camera? Any suggestions? As you can tell, I'm new to this. BTW, based on this forum I ordered my new DXG-595V the other day. Should have it in a few days. Thanks!!!
Format it with the camera is the safest bet.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:48 PM   #250

Does anyone know how to get the bundled Presto editing software to enable a 1920x1080 output? It doesn't seem to recognize non-square pixels, so any movie produced with it is 1440x1080 4:3 with an anamorphic vertical squeeze. Roxio and Nero seem to have the same problem. The only workaround I can find is to convert to Divx HD at 1920 x 1080 and edit that way (I tried converting to QT, but it took forever to do a short movie).

Any help appreciated,

Brian