Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:42 AM   #251

Great. Thanks. Are there options "on"the camera that direct you to format the card or do you do it through the PC, while the camera is connected to it? On all my other "devices" I usually just put in the card and begin shooting, not needing to format. Any detailed directions is surely appreciated along with how todownload and install the latest updates. Thanks again.:-)
Latechslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:00 AM   #252

Latechslack,

Go to Setup mode on the camera. Press the joystick down to cycle through the choices and you'll get to the second screen of setup. The first choice on that screen is "Format."

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:10 AM   #253

DXG 595 Wishlist

Here are some improvements that could be made to the DXG 595 or it's successor. Some of these things might be small firmware

changes, some are more complicated or would involve inexpensive hardware changes.

* Focus. Any of the following focus improvements would be greatly appreciated.

a) Provide a focus lock while filming. Sanyo uses a button on the crontoller for this. Since all of the buttons on the

controller are in use in the DXG, it could be assigned to the selector button, or the useless white balance button could be

used, or one of the other camera buttons that is not used during filming such as the playback button. The EVE adjustment up and

down buttons could be used since they don't work during filming. All this would do is turn the focus routine off. It seems that

this could be done in firmware now. This would go a long way towards addressing the focus problems in low light. Other cameras

have low light problems (Sanyo) and this is how they do it.

b) Or, provide real manual focus. Pressing the center selector could put you in manual focus mode which would allow you

to use the right and left controllers to focus. It would not be necessary to provide a calibrated distance scale. This sould

include the macro focus range even if macro was not selected.

c) Some way to lock the focus on infinity would be great. This would go on the macro button, it would cycle through

normal, macro, infinity.

* Data rate at 720p

a) Higher 720p 60 FPS data rate. A 720p frame has 60% of the data of a 1080p frame. The frame rate is double, so the

data rate sould be about 120% of the 1080p rate. Instead it is about half. Possibly the camera cannot process data at this rate,

but a higher rate than is currently used would be nice.

b) provide a 720p 30FPS mode at lower data rate for storage savings.

* Thread the lens for filters. The additional cost would be minimal. A warning in the manual could be provided that this is just

for filters and that damage is not covered if there are mechanical considerations. ALternatively, an adapter that attaches to

the tripod mount could be made.

* Store file numbering in NVRAM with other settings. Now, when a card is formatted, numbering starts over again with 1. This

would only take 2 bytes of storage. This could probably be done now, the re-use of file numbers is very annoying and will result

in somone losing their video.

* Power
a) Allow the camera to charge off USB, if possible.

b) While there probably isn't enough power to run the camera off a USB port, some kind of DC input would be nice.

* Provide an external mic input jack. The internal mic should be cut off when the external mic is in.

* Provide in camera editing fuctions as Sanyo does (assuming that the camera has enough RAM and processor power). Yeah, this

could be slow, but it is slow on other cameras.
Basic functions desired are...
a) trim clips at either end.
b) Join two clips
c) Extract a JPEG picture from a clip.

* Allow shooting to be "paused" and then continued on the same file. This could use one of the existing buttons. Pause would

only be alowed for a limited time (say 5 min max). If the camera has low battery, or if it is going to sleep, or if it is turned

off, then the paused clip would be closed and pause stopped. Exactly as Sony does on their video cameras. This could just be a

changed selectable behavior on the current record button.

* The camera should turn on when the screen is opened. The camera should retain it's current behavior when the screen is closed

(screen turns off but camera stays on). This is better than the Sanyo cameras which turn the camera on and off with the screen

position, not allowing the camera to film with the screen closed.

* Provide a larger indent for fingers to remove the battery.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:53 PM   #254

Great. I'm sure I will have additional questions once my DXG-595V gets in, like how to update it. Thanks again.

Michael
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:10 PM   #255

I'm wanting to order extra batteries for my camera. I tried Amazon, searching for Li-ion NP120 batteries and all kinds popped-up. I want to make sure I get the ones that are compatible. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? Thanks.

Michael
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:30 PM   #256

Here is something fun with this camera, the Nikon WC-E24 wide angle adapter will press fit into the lens opening with a bit of tape. This was a wide angle lens for the Nikon 990/995 etc. The fit is good enough that you can shake the camera and not have it drop off.

Here are short videos without and the adapter in place.

http://www.vimeo.com/1812523

and

http://www.vimeo.com/1812555

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 PM   #257

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Here is something fun with this camera, the Nikon WC-E24 wide angle adapter will press fit into the lens opening with a bit of tape. This was a wide angle lens for the Nikon 990/995 etc. The fit is good enough that you can shake the camera and not have it drop off.

Here are short videos without and the adapter in place.

and

Wow, is it me or does the color even look better with that lens? Looks like less washing out.
mastermatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:48 AM   #258

Brachiopod,

That Nikon lens does an outstanding job!

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:53 AM   #259

D1PHAM, where did you get the batteries? Could you give a link and a description of the batteries? Any detail sure would be appreciated. BTW, how did the new battery work-out? Thanks again.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:31 AM   #260

mastermatt111 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, is it me or does the color even look better with that lens? Looks like less washing out.
Yes, I don't know, probably just some white balance differences. I noticed that the WB can take a couple seconds to settle down, and I think that I just turned it on and started shooting for the first one. Or, it could be that the camera does a better job with WB in the wide angle shot because there are more white clouds visible for it to work with.