Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:53 PM   #261

:idea:
:?

OK, first post, I ordered a DXG 595v from wal-mart. Cam specs say it can export footage in .avi or .mov, is that true??

Also, has anyone tried importing into an editing app? I use Adobe Premiere Pro, anyone have any success with that? I put the train sample into it and playback was choppy until I rendered.

also, what's the deal with the dvh 596, has that been released, is it the same as the 595v?

Thanks to everyone for your reviews and such, this is the best site I've found for this sort of thing!

Cheers,
UGLYTUCO
UGLYTUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:10 AM   #262

Uglytuco,

The bundled software allows you to save in a number of formats; the trouble is that it "sees" the files as 1440x1080, meaning that outputs have a a vertical anamorphic "squeeze." I export to HD Divx at 1920 x 1080 and edit with Windows Movie Maker.

As to the choppy playback, the native h.264 codec is very CPU intensive. The bundled Arcsoft player is very good and produces smooth results if you have a decent CPU in your computer. The camera itself also plays back movies very well.

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:57 PM   #263

For those looking for batteries. 2000mah

http://www.google.com/products?q=np-...&scoring=p
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 1:14 PM   #264

I have enjoyed playing with my camcorder so far. I did the firmware update.

I didn't run any test shots until after the firmware update was done.

I have a few questions.

I have noticed that at the AF seems to not want to focus and I have to zoom out or back in to get it to focus. Is this something you all have noticed?

What is the proper way to recalibrate the camera?
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:44 AM   #265

hi i have a quick question cause my aiptek just broke, the screen is now green for some reason

anyway i want to buy this camcorder. is it shaky like the aiptex or does this have an image stabilizer? thank you for reply
macauboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:25 PM   #266

Macauboy,

The DXG has image stabilization only in 720p mode. Given the low data rate, this is not a mode I recommend with the camera; 1080p is greatly superior.

I bought a very inexpensive, collapsible monopod. When folded, it's very compact and allows you to steady the camera with two hands (one holding the monopod, the other bracing the side of the camera). It's easy to deploy and the ground brace gives you very good steadiness and portability. I find it a good solution the the "shakes."

Best,

Brian
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:42 PM   #267

Here's a raw, unedited part of a movie I made at a local festival. The cam did a pretty good job with varied lighting conditions and a wide range of reflectivity in clothing. The jerky pans and occasional jerky motion were introduced by Vimeo. The original movie is very smooth. Also, of course, Vimeo movies can only be considered HD in the loosest sense of the word. It looks lovely on my 120 inch 1080p PJ screen!

http://www.vimeo.com/1835325

Brian
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:02 PM   #268

Sweet1 priceless

brians238 wrote:
Quote:
Here's a raw, unedited part of a movie I made at a local festival. The cam did a pretty good job with varied lighting conditions and a wide range of reflectivity in clothing. The jerky pans and occasional jerky motion were introduced by Vimeo. The original movie is very smooth. Also, of course, Vimeo movies can only be considered HD in the loosest sense of the word. It looks lovely on my 120 inch 1080p PJ screen!

http://www.vimeo.com/1835325

Brian
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:12 AM   #269

Has there been any feedback from DXG about how to recalibrate the camera after the firmware update? I've been able to figure out some of them, but some may require software that we don't have or targets that we don't have.

I'm just guessing on all of this, but here is what I have.

* Sensor calibration; appears to require a tethered program for the first part. For the vignetting part I just showed the camera a uniformly lit white surface... the camera appears to build a vignetting table to take care of shading in the corners at wide and zoom in the two aspect ratios that it uses. (4:3 and 16:9) This is probably not very important, but if you do it wrong (letting it point at a random object) this will be bad. YOu have to remove the battery after doing this since we don't have the program. It does appear to hold the lens vignetting settings though.

* defective pixel - I didn't try it because I don't have any showing. Hopefully the way it works is that you cover the lens during this test and it takes an exposure and maps out any hot pixels. I would not try this unless you have a problem.

* WB calibration; can't be done without a WB data table on an SD card. There must be a default for the camera and they should have given it with the FW upgrade. Does not seem to matter for my camera though.

* Lens calibration; I suspect that this one is important. The camera appears to build a focus table for each zoom position that the stepper motor can set. It uses this table when you zoom suring video to try to get the focus close (the lens focuses at a different position at different focal lengths). If you don't do this I suspect that the focus could hunt like crazy during zoom; depends on your camera and what is in the defaults. To do this test you MUST use a tripod, don't try to hand hold it. I don't know what distance this should be done at, I picked a distance of 6 feet, in the middile of the focus range. Give the camera something nice and contrasty to focus on like a newspaper, in good light. The camera will step though all the zoom positions and focus. This takes a couple minutes.

* Lens sorting. I'd do this first. It appears to test and remember the extreme lens focus positions. If you do it wrong, it says "wide close error", so I suspect that the camera should be pointed at a close object at the macro focus distance. This may even set the closest macro focus. I Have not experimented but it might be possible for individual cameras to have closer macro focus by picking something closer and closer until the test fails. If you don't do this your macro focus might be off or not as close as it could be. It is possible that the camera might not be able to focus at infinity or something.

That's what I have so far.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:52 PM   #270

eline wrote:
Quote:
Did any one of U upgrade firmware from 595 to 595v ?
I have dxg sold in europe as prakitca so I have old firmware (march 2008

Does any one look inside camera how to connect other microphone ?
Hi there i have similar version and was wondering if it would upgrade here is the firmware information:

FW: DVH595-V1.03-DE01
HWXG V1.1
UI:OSD Table V8
Time: Mar 21 2008 13:25:01
Bin: dvh595.bin
Lens:ZP500Z
Sensor: MT9P001
ROM: 6MB, DSP: 2048KB
Lens Cal:0 Bp Cal:1
Shade Cal:1
Default Lang/USB: 3/1
Default TV/Flicker: 1/0
Exif Model: DVC
Exif Maker: DVC
MSC Name: DVC
WB Com A: 927/1875
WB Ref A: 908/2141
WB Com D: 1507/1207
WB Ref D: 1659/1394
BPC 21921/195

If this can be upgraded then could someone direct me as to where i can get the firmware.

Much Appreicated.

Esso is offline   Reply With Quote