Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:13 PM   #271

Esso wrote:
Quote:
eline wrote:
Quote:
Did any one of U upgrade firmware from 595 to 595v ?
I have dxg sold in europe as prakitca so I have old firmware (march 2008

Does any one look inside camera how to connect other microphone ?
Hi there i have similar version and was wondering if it would upgrade here is the firmware information:

FW: DVH595-V1.03-DE01
HWXG V1.1
UI:OSD Table V8
Time: Mar 21 2008 13:25:01
Bin: dvh595.bin
Lens:ZP500Z
Sensor: MT9P001
ROM: 6MB, DSP: 2048KB
Lens Cal:0 Bp Cal:1
Shade Cal:1
Default Lang/USB: 3/1
Default TV/Flicker: 1/0
Exif Model: DVC
Exif Maker: DVC
MSC Name: DVC
WB Com A: 927/1875
WB Ref A: 908/2141
WB Com D: 1507/1207
WB Ref D: 1659/1394
BPC 21921/195

If this can be upgraded then could someone direct me as to where i can get the firmware.

Much Appreicated.
So far as I can tell the upgrade only unmutes the mic. I don't think it's worth the effort to upgrade and possibly have a chance to mess up something else like calibration.
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:14 PM   #272

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Has there been any feedback from DXG about how to recalibrate the camera after the firmware update? I've been able to figure out some of them, but some may require software that we don't have or targets that we don't have.

I'm just guessing on all of this, but here is what I have.

* Sensor calibration; appears to require a tethered program for the first part. For the vignetting part I just showed the camera a uniformly lit white surface... the camera appears to build a vignetting table to take care of shading in the corners at wide and zoom in the two aspect ratios that it uses. (4:3 and 16:9) This is probably not very important, but if you do it wrong (letting it point at a random object) this will be bad. YOu have to remove the battery after doing this since we don't have the program. It does appear to hold the lens vignetting settings though.

* defective pixel - I didn't try it because I don't have any showing. Hopefully the way it works is that you cover the lens during this test and it takes an exposure and maps out any hot pixels. I would not try this unless you have a problem.

* WB calibration; can't be done without a WB data table on an SD card. There must be a default for the camera and they should have given it with the FW upgrade. Does not seem to matter for my camera though.

* Lens calibration; I suspect that this one is important. The camera appears to build a focus table for each zoom position that the stepper motor can set. It uses this table when you zoom suring video to try to get the focus close (the lens focuses at a different position at different focal lengths). If you don't do this I suspect that the focus could hunt like crazy during zoom; depends on your camera and what is in the defaults. To do this test you MUST use a tripod, don't try to hand hold it. I don't know what distance this should be done at, I picked a distance of 6 feet, in the middile of the focus range. Give the camera something nice and contrasty to focus on like a newspaper, in good light. The camera will step though all the zoom positions and focus. This takes a couple minutes.

* Lens sorting. I'd do this first. It appears to test and remember the extreme lens focus positions. If you do it wrong, it says "wide close error", so I suspect that the camera should be pointed at a close object at the macro focus distance. This may even set the closest macro focus. I Have not experimented but it might be possible for individual cameras to have closer macro focus by picking something closer and closer until the test fails. If you don't do this your macro focus might be off or not as close as it could be. It is possible that the camera might not be able to focus at infinity or something.

That's what I have so far.

I haven't heard anything back from my support ticket yet.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:43 AM   #273

thx for that marto not worth the hastle will have to get use to muted sound
Esso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:46 PM   #274

marto wrote:
Quote:
For those looking for batteries. 2000mah

http://www.google.com/products?q=np-...&scoring=p
picked up a couple. Thanks!
mastermatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:52 PM   #275

I had to send my camera back to DXG because after doing the firmware upgrade the camera would not focus anymore. They sent me back an brand new camera with old firmware on it.

nicksws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:01 AM   #276

nicksws6 wrote:
Quote:
I had to send my camera back to DXG because after doing the firmware upgrade the camera would not focus anymore. They sent me back an brand new camera with old firmware on it.

Nick how long did it take?

I have to RMA mine too.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:43 AM   #277

Greetings to all!

This is my very first post, and I also ordered the 595v hd from DXG...

I gotta say thank goodness for google...
I searched for a 1080p cam to fit my budget and stumbled upon this awesome group of people that love cameras as much as I do!

I realize this camera isn't the end all be all, however for $179.00:?:?:?
I am a gitti as a school boy!!! The quality is amazing and I plan on making movies with this bad boy I'm so excited...

Well I'll be here posting and lurking among you all so say hello and cheer to all!:blah:
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:34 AM   #278

It took about 3 weks. The packing slip said the focusing lense was broken and they didn't have any parts in stock so they sent me a whole new camera in the retail package. So nowI have 2 of everything It has the old firmware on it and I'm not sure ifI want to try to putthe new oneon.

nicksws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:44 AM   #279

Nick,

You might try resetting the calibration options as suggested by Brachiopod; it might salvage your old cam. I guess there's nothing to lose!

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:00 AM   #280

i am new to this whole camcorder deal but i found this dxg on walmarts website and couldn't resist. I wanted something to film me and my friends on our dirt bikes. So for my first issue. all in all i like the camcorder, i already had a 2gb sandisk class 4 card to try out on it worked like a charm. then i decided i wanted more so i went to amazon a got 2 transcend sdhc 8gb class 6 cards. got them and tried one out on my camcorder, first formated with the camera, then began recording. within a few minutes it said memory card full. so i reset everything and tried again this time within a few minutes it locks up won't even turn iff or anything. i have to take the battery out to get it to cut off. so i power on and try numerous times with the same problem with it hanging up within 2 to 3 min. so i tried the second card AND it does the same thing. what is going on ? my class 4 2gb sandisk sd works fine. is it that this unit doesn't like class 6 cards or is it the transcend brand oram i doing something wrong? i'm formating the card right now with windows and we'll see what happens and i'll post. by the way this forum was very informative in my descision to buy the dxg 595v i have other questions buti'll ask those after i solve this problem !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
nate-mx is offline   Reply With Quote