Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:26 AM   #281

Nate-Mx welcome aboard.

Our members in the dxg topic may help out. As I used many cams. certain cards will work etc........... taht may be the issue there. pcformat and camera format are my answer. and you already knew that. again welcome aboard.

nate-mx wrote:
Quote:
i am new to this whole camcorder deal but i found this dxg on walmarts website and couldn't resist. I wanted something to film me and my friends on our dirt bikes. So
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:07 AM   #282

There have been a couple of reports of the camera being picky about cards, but not many. This camera does not need or benefit from super high speed cards a regular cheapo Sandisk is fine for the data rate which is only about 1.2 MB/sec. SDHC cards are OK to 8GB, but I don't think that 16GB work. As fishy suggests, try formatting the card on the camera first. It could be that those cards just won't work, some cameras just can't deal with the super high speed cards.

Also be aware of counterfit cards sold on ebay; they take a 256MB card and relabel it as larger, or use fast memory just in the first part of the card so it tests fast. I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it does happen.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:23 AM   #283

thanx fishy and brachio,

I tried windows format, panasonics sd format and format with the camera on the card. it still locks up i'm certain this is not a counterfeit card. thank you for letting me know that i will not bennefit from super high speed cards. so class 2 should be fine?

what is the best mode for shooting someone on a dirt bike i understand not zooming much helps out in clarity because of the focus. but 720p eis or 1080p, and maybe any other suggestions you have to give me the best picture! thanx again !
nate-mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:30 AM   #284

Nate,

720p has the advantage of 60 fps and image stabilization. However, as others have pointed out in this forum, the data rate is too low and the images are very much sub par (blocky and fuzzy). I've found 1080p works well on even fast action, but I'd suggest a tripod or monopod to stablize the camera, otherwise you won't be happy with the results.

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:37 AM   #285

I'm just using a regular cheap 8GB Sandisk blue and red label in mine, it was $20 at Circuit City. For dirt bikes, I think that you will want to use the 720p mode without EIS. That mode is not as good quality as 1080p, but it is still going to be good for casual shots of bikes (if that is what this is) I'd think, unless you are really really concerned about higher quality. The reason for using 720p is that I'm assuming that the bikes will be really moving, and you will be panning to folllow them. The 720 modes have a wider field of view, easier to keep moving objects in the frame. There is a lot of motion, so 60 FPS would play back better. And lastly no EIS if you are panning the camera a lot, the EIS makes your pans jerky as it tries to compensate for your motion. Anyway, take some test shots and try it. And like brians says, use a tripod if you can, unless this is totally crazy panning all the time stuff.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:11 AM   #286

X2 on a sd carda Sandisk is a general card I would best stick with that . how fast can it be i am sure read/write it will do in record there is one speed LOL

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
I'm just using a regular cheap 8GB Sandisk blue and red label in mine, it was $20 at Circuit City. For dirt bikes, I think that you will want to use the 720p mode without EIS. That mode is not as good quality as 1080p, but it is still going to be good for casual shots of bikes (if that is what this is) I'd think, unless you are really really concerned about higher quality. The reason for using 720p is that I'm assuming that the bikes will be really moving, and you will be panning to folllow them. The 720 modes have a wider field of view, easier to keep moving objects in the frame. There is a lot of motion, so 60 FPS would play back better. And lastly no EIS if you are panning the camera a lot, the EIS makes your pans jerky as it tries to compensate for your motion. Anyway, take some test shots and try it. And like brians says, use a tripod if you can, unless this is totally crazy panning all the time stuff.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:04 PM   #287

Hey everyone,
Finally got my DXG 595V from Walmart. I must say that I am very impressed by the build quality. It feels just as good as the sony and JVC cameras. One thing I must ask is about the Arcsoft software. I know everyone says it works well, but I found that the one included on the CD does not work that well and does not change the aspect ratio to widescreen for 1080p files. Also I was wondering if anyone did the firmware upgrade and if they needed to run the calibration or does it not matter.

Regards
sonic113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:04 PM   #288

Hey everyone,
Finally got my DXG 595V from Walmart. I must say that I am very impressed by the build quality. It feels just as good as the sony and JVC cameras. One thing I must ask is about the Arcsoft software. I know everyone says it works well, but I found that the one included on the CD does not work that well and does not change the aspect ratio to widescreen for 1080p files. Also I was wondering if anyone did the firmware upgrade and if they needed to run the calibration or does it not matter.

Regards
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:06 PM   #289

Hey guys,

I just got my DXG 595v from walmart. I must say that the build quality is very nice and on par with sony and jvc cameras.

One thing though. The included Arcsoft total media extreme does not play the videos in the correct aspect ratio. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I've been using VLC player and it's been working well, but I'm pretty sure the arcsoft would look a lot better.

Also, has anyone sucessfully done the firmware upgrade and also done the calibration? I read above about the different settings but I was wondering what happens if you don't do any of them.

Regards
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:30 AM   #290

I have run a transcend micro SDHC 8 GB class 4 card w/ adapter. no problems
I have also run a sandisk Ultra II SDHC 8GB class 4. no problem

Nate If you format in windows make sure you use FAT32 file system.

I have refollowed what Brachiopod posted. Seems to be working a little better now. I don't think I am going to RMA it.

If we can get the calibration standards there won't be much of an issue with this camera. Thanks Brachiopod

marto is offline   Reply With Quote