Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:32 PM   #21

Quenaelin wrote:
Quote:
This camera resembles Praktica DVC 5.1 sold in Europe, maybe they are from same factory.

http://www.praktica-uk.com/product_i...roducts_id=323

It seems that Praktica have become little more than a label on other peoples products now, just like Polaroid. How the mighty have fallen.

I still have a Praktica MTL 50 SLR camera kit with 3 Lenses, flash and case that I brought brand new for the ridiculous sum of £50 when I lived in the UK back in the 80's. Even then that was a giveaway price for what was a pretty decent camera all things considered!

I remember a friend had a Canon camera that cost him several times what mine cost and he didn't get any better photos. Of course a camera is just a tool and much depends on the photographer but my Praktica was a fun camera and easy to use too considering it had no fancy 'electronics' on it.

Of course the downside was that it used the obsolete screw thread but with three lens included it was no problem. I even still managed to find a screw thread convertor for it as well.

I particularly liked the light meter viewable through the lens which consisted of two red arrows. You knew you had the correct exposure when both were equally lit. If the top was brighter it was over exposed and when the bottom was brighter it was underexposed.

I had always planned on getting a better film SLR but for my purposes this did all I needed and of course once I got into digital cameras there was no point in upgrading it anyway and it now sits in a cupboard gathering dust but I can't bare to part with it :G

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:09 AM   #22

D1PHAM wrote:

@ 1080P = ~ 9.5 Mbps
@ 720P = ~ 6.5 Mbps

Thats a shame I thought they were progressing to 11mb/s+. I think they are using variable bit rate, I see a number of clips that seem to have a big difference depending on image complexity. What does the manual say about card memory usage times?

Does the recalibration, or menu setup, allow you to reduce the color to a more natural level, set the shutter/iris, sharpness, or focus? I can't get the manual to display past the first few pages on my machine.

Also can you monitor live uncompressed images on the HDTV in HD 720p resolution at 60fps while shooting on this one, or does it just give you compressed/lower res HDTV line, like others?

The maximum bit rate, manual controls, and live output are the things that I am interested in to buy this (though I am more interested in the 596).

Thanks.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:35 AM   #23

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Yup, that is correct. Timing shots are available as well. Here are some samples:

drd403 wrote: [/b]
Quote:
How is the still shots feature works? Should the shutter button be half-pressed first until focus frame became green? Timings?
Sorry, I meant how fast is focus - time between half-pressing button and green frame. Less than half of second?
drd403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:24 AM   #24

When I spoke to DXG support it seems that DXG-595V is the same model as the DVH-596.

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
D1PHAM wrote:

@ 1080P = ~ 9.5 Mbps
@ 720P = ~ 6.5 Mbps

Thats a shame I thought they were progressing to 11mb/s+. I think they are using variable bit rate, I see a number of clips that seem to have a big difference depending on image complexity. What does the manual say about card memory usage times?

Does the recalibration, or menu setup, allow you to reduce the color to a more natural level, set the shutter/iris, sharpness, or focus? I can't get the manual to display past the first few pages on my machine.

Also can you monitor live uncompressed images on the HDTV in HD 720p resolution at 60fps while shooting on this one, or does it just give you compressed/lower res HDTV line, like others?

The maximum bit rate, manual controls, and live output are the things that I am interested in to buy this (though I am more interested in the 596).

Thanks.
D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 2:25 AM   #25

I'd say the focus time is closer to a second.

drd403 wrote:
Quote:
D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Yup, that is correct. Timing shots are available as well. Here are some samples:

drd403 wrote:
Quote:
How is the still shots feature works? Should the shutter button be half-pressed first until focus frame became green? Timings?
Sorry, I meant how fast is focus - time between half-pressing button and green frame. Less than half of second?
Old Aug 9, 2008, 3:21 AM   #26

This is confusing, I am pretty sure I have seen them listed in the same page as two separate models, and I have seen the 595v listed with different specifications. I took the 596 to be a 595v with more advanced functions (maybe that is it).

I reloaded the manual, and it still only gets as far as the pictures of the cows before it fails. Could I ask if any of the things I asked in the previouse post are there?

Also everybody os claiming that it is 60fps 720p footage, where you showed it was not, is there any verification on what it is?

Thanks d1pham.

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
When I spoke to DXG support it seems that DXG-595V is the same model as the DVH-596.

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
D1PHAM wrote:

@ 1080P = ~ 9.5 Mbps
@ 720P = ~ 6.5 Mbps

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:46 AM   #27

I have decided to try to get some more original information on 595v, 596 new models, and manuals fro them and gone to:

www.dxgtech.com.tw

But I am having trouble navigating the Chinese menus, anybody here that can speak Chinese and might want to look?

The 596 appears to have a typo flaw in the english page, it lists two 60fps 720p mods.

Thanks
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:07 PM   #28

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Here is the problem I have with my video aka "Train Track Audio":

http://www.vimeo.com/1495104

Turn your volume all the way up to hear the inference noise. Note I can only notice this when I film in extremely quiet environments.
I too get some noise thought it is different than yours:

http://www.driveway.com/d6g0b9y1v8

I can also hear the camera making some funny sounds while filming in a quiet place maybe it is the AF working?

Have you tried to to the "Check EIS"? Mine says "No EIS!! Please Power-off" when I try that. Thought EIS seems to be working right (see new video in first post)
thefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:52 PM   #29

Wayne,

Sorry for the confusion the camcorder does do 720P @ 60 FPS. The DXG tech support guy I initially spoke to was confused. And @ 1080P you get 5 X optical and only 2 X digital. But, most will not use the digital zoom.

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
This is confusing, I am pretty sure I have seen them listed in the same page as two separate models, and I have seen the 595v listed with different specifications. I took the 596 to be a 595v with more advanced functions (maybe that is it).

I reloaded the manual, and it still only gets as far as the pictures of the cows before it fails. Could I ask if any of the things I asked in the previouse post are there?

Also everybody os claiming that it is 60fps 720p footage, where you showed it was not, is there any verification on what it is?

Thanks d1pham.

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
D1PHAM wrote:

@ 1080P = ~ 9.5 Mbps
@ 720P = ~ 6.5 Mbps

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:56 PM   #30

Fish,

Thanks for the upload. Your quiet noise if far less noticeable than mine. For the EIS to work you have to move your camera around when you run the first EIS calibration test. Then leave your camera still for the second test.

thefish wrote:
Quote:
D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Here is the problem I have with my video aka "Train Track Audio":

http://www.vimeo.com/1495104

Turn your volume all the way up to hear the inference noise. Note I can only notice this when I film in extremely quiet environments.
I too get some noise thought it is different than yours:

http://www.driveway.com/d6g0b9y1v8

I can also hear the camera making some funny sounds while filming in a quiet place maybe it is the AF working?

Have you tried to to the "Check EIS"? Mine says "No EIS!! Please Power-off" when I try that. Thought EIS seems to be working right (see new video in first post)