Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 4, 2008, 8:46 AM   #291

Gday. After spotting a cheap Full HD camcorder in Australia, I started to search the net for more info/reviews and found this thread.

An Australian version of the DXG-595V appears to be this:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-f...corder-camera/

I am interested to see if you think this is identical camera from the specs.
Of particular interest is mention of Optical Image Stabiliser, whereas this thread mentions EIS.

thanks
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 7:09 PM   #292

Sonic,

I find the playback aspect ratio OK, but all the editing software included only recognizes square pixels, so I get the 4:3 vertical squeeze, too, if I edit any files. I use the Divx converter to convert to Divx 1080p and then edit on Movie Maker.

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 8:20 PM   #293

Battler,

This cam looks intriguing. The optical stabilization mentioned, if it is well implemented, is vastly superior to the EIS on the 595V which is limited to 720p. The swivel screen is a nice touch, too!

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:45 PM   #294

Hey everyone,

Just another observation with this camera. I used a cheap A-data 8 gig sd card and get static in the mic. It sounds like a light clicking noise and it only appears when the card is used as I tried another 2 gig Kingston card on it. Anyone else have a similar problem? I know someone earlier had the same problem in the thread but I was wondering what a good brand of SD card would be to use with this cam.

Regards
sonic113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:49 AM   #295

battler wrote:
Quote:
Gday. After spotting a cheap Full HD camcorder in Australia, I started to search the net for more info/reviews and found this thread.

An Australian version of the DXG-595V appears to be this:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-f...corder-camera/

I am interested to see if you think this is identical camera from the specs.
Of particular interest is mention of Optical Image Stabiliser, whereas this thread mentions EIS.

thanks
I believe that the specs verbage are just your regular semantics rewording the features that already come with the 595V (even though the Firmware lists it as a 596 V1.16....

The Kogan face detection, and optical image stablization should be confirmed by contacting Kogan....I'm going to doubt it until they print the OIS=works in 1080p mode.

I mean the specs say "stereo" speaker??? Stereo means 2, where did they put the extra speaker? Sounds fishy. -Sales people do this all the time, they buy a camera unbranded, then make it their own...
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:52 AM   #296

sonic113 wrote:
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Just another observation with this camera. I used a cheap A-data 8 gig sd card and get static in the mic. It sounds like a light clicking noise and it only appears when the card is used as I tried another 2 gig Kingston card on it. Anyone else have a similar problem? I know someone earlier had the same problem in the thread but I was wondering what a good brand of SD card would be to use with this cam.

Regards
Your best bet right here:

Hurry and get the 8 Gig SDHC Apacer card from SuperMediaStore.com

18.29 Shipped!! Class 6 can't be beat...This works as I just came back from the auto show....Using the the great deal from Venio I got 2 2000mah batteries with a car charger, Euro plug, and home charger for -$9.99 plus shipping...
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:35 PM   #297

Good news I hope to hear soon.

Carlos (DXG) is sending the request on recalibration up the line for the file and steps on recalibration for those that have updated the firmware.
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:50 AM   #298

Hi,

For the time being I've put my DXG purchasing plans on hold .

Why :?- well, getting it from Wal-Mart over here to Europe would add considerably to the price, and if something goes wrong you're left a bit :blah:to say the least.

What really put me off, though, was this press release off Toshiba's European website:

Toshiba further enhances high-end HD camcorder portfolio with stylish new Camileo H20
Latest addition to Toshiba range offers high-quality video functionality in an attractive and stylish design

Cologne, Germany, 22 September 2008 – Today at Photokina, Toshiba announced the latest addition to its high-end HD camcorder range. The Camileo H20 combines 1080p high definition (HD) functionality with ease of use and advanced power saving technology to create a versatile HD camcorder suitable for users of all abilities. Toshiba is showcasing the Camileo H20 on its booth at Photokina, Hall 5.1, Booth B008. The Camileo H20 will be available during the 4th quarter of 2008 throughout Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Weighing just 340g, the lightweight and compact Camileo H20 fits easily into the palm of your hand, while its ergonomic design ensures that all buttons are ideally positioned for comfortable operation. Captured footage can be quickly and easily reviewed via the rotatable 3" TFT Display (16:9 format), or alternatively on an external HD TV using the integrated HDMI port.

"Today, more and more consumers are creating their own high definition content and price points are reaching a mass market level", says Marco Perino, General Manager EMEA PC Options, Peripherals and Services Division, Toshiba Europe GmbH. "The new Camileo H20 camcorder fits this category perfectly, combining HD (1440 x 1080p) resolution with intuitive handling at an affordable price."

With its compact and stylish design, the Camileo H20 is the ideal video device for any activity, from outdoor pursuits to a night out with friends. The combination of 5x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom (2 x at 1080p) means even distant scenes can be captured in crystal clarity, while the power saving CMOS Sensor technology allows for up to four hours of video recording time between charges. The Camileo H20 also features digital still image (picture) capture capability with a resolution of up to 3200 x 2400 pixels and an integrated photo flashlight with red-eye-reduction mode to ensure the best possible results.

The Camileo H20 ships with an HDMI cable (1.2m), AV cable (1.2m), USB-cable (0.9m), NP60 Li-ion rechargeable battery, power adapter, pouch (bag), cleaning cloth, CD with supporting software, quick start guide and user's manual..

Now, not to write anything negative about DXG, but at 180 EUR for the Camileo H20, I do prefer Toshiba over DXG.

However, I'll keep checking this subject - and let you know when/if I go ahead with the Camileo.

Krouebi

krouebi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:09 PM   #299

Well you know the first 3 rules of Real Estate???

Location....
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:52 PM   #300

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Here is something fun with this camera, the Nikon WC-E24 wide angle adapter will press fit into the lens opening with a bit of tape. This was a wide angle lens for the Nikon 990/995 etc. The fit is good enough that you can shake the camera and not have it drop off.

Here are short videos without and the adapter in place.

http://www.vimeo.com/1812523
http://www.vimeo.com/1812523

and

http://www.vimeo.com/1812555
http://www.vimeo.com/1812555

Just ordered an E68 Nikon with a 99% focal length thingy majig....I can't wait!!!!!
I'm a fan of wide angle, and the DXG isn't great out of the box for that purpose.