Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:54 PM   #301

I've had my 595V for a couple weeks now. Generally I'm thrilled, especially considering the price/feature ratio but I'm having problems with white balance. I was shooting indoors and didn't like what the auto white balance was coming up with so selected tungsten instead. Much better, for about 3 seconds, until I moved the camera, and then it went very bluish in tint. Shouldn't these manual WB settings be locked? Anyone else having similar problems?

Also, in case DXG is monitoring this forum I'd wish for either a remote or "play all" for video playback, as I often playback using the camera thru the TV and jumping up from the couch to initiate the playback for each clip is incredibly annoying.

Also, the zoom quiet is annoying as all getout. I'm getting the impression tho that the fix causes more problems than it cures, as it invalidates the calibrations. Am I following correctly?

Thanks!
Geezer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 2:08 PM   #302

Geezer Guy,

I also use the presets for white balance; many times I notice that the cam does indeed seem to change settings on the WB. If I am shooting in a place with a lot of "warm" colors (such as bricks), many times, the cam produces an image with a "purplish" tinge. If I move the cam, you can see it readjust; I conclude that the presets seem to do adjustments, although perhaps in a narrower range than the auto setting.

I have had no problems with the cam since updating the firmware and I found the procedure simple and straightforward; just make sure the cam is not hand held when you do the calibration. Nothing special is required, except your USB cable and a white sheet of paper. I found that the improvements are substantial, especially for focus performance.

Best,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:06 PM   #303

My DXG support ticket disappeared so doesn't look like we're going to get any calibration information.

I have messed around with lens sorting & lens calibration so far it's better than it was I used a cherry coke box with 600 watts of lighting from flood lamps. background was 4ft away and camera to coke box was 4 ft away. My macro isn't as good as it was but AF is much better.

Brachiopod have you done any more testing on sorting and lens calibration?
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:32 PM   #304

The only other thing that I did was to try the lens calibration and see if I could get the macro distance any closer. I calibrated over and over and moved closer each time until it would not focus, then backed off a bit. Not sure if this helped.

I found it interesting that brians238 mentioned above that he used a USB cable, presumably with the "sensor calibration", I assumed that this meant that there was some software involved but maybe not.

In general, mine is focusing fine and the WB is OK. I took some scenes before and after the firmware upgrade, and can't tell much difference.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:57 PM   #305

Double Post... Please Remove :?
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:57 PM   #306

I just ordered a 595v on ANTOnline via Amazon.
For both price and shipping combined, I payed only $199.29. That's currently the cheapest you can get it for (inc shipping + tax) with the exception of WalMart + Ship-to-Store.

I also came across this unboxing and review:
http://www.warp2search.net/contentte...ra_review.html

Everyone seems to say that it is built impressively well, which is good.I also found out that the camera is actually a lot smaller than it looks

Hopefully I'll get the camera soon... I can't wait!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:02 PM   #307

Hello could someone explain what "EIS" is seems like it have something to do with stabilizing the image, but I've been unable to find any information on it after doing a Google search. Thanks

Tom j.

Curt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:06 PM   #308

EIS is Electronic Image Stabilization.
EIS reduces the severity of shaking when recording video. EIS detects movement of the camera and digitally "shifts" each frame to make the picture appear more stable. In OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), however, the camera moves the actual lens to stabilize the image, rather than electronically manipulating each frame.
Hope this helps
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:50 PM   #309

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
EIS is Electronic Image Stabilization.
EIS reduces the severity of shaking when recording video. EIS detects movement of the camera and digitally "shifts" each frame to make the picture appear more stable. In OIS (Optical Image Stabilization), however, the camera moves the actual lens to stabilize the image, rather than electronically manipulating each frame.
Hope this helps
Hi thanks Richard just learned a lot! boy don't know why I didn't figure that one out. Just getting into video why is the EIS only available in 720? seems like I read that somewhere that this had a reduced bit rate and is kind of jerky, also say that there was suppose to be a firmware upgrade that will increase the bit rate in the 720 mode. Still kind of confused with all the information but I'm kind of a quick study so any help would be really appreciated.

Tom j.

Curt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:50 AM   #310

I'm not exactly sure about the EIS in this camera and the reported jerkiness... I didn't get my camera yet. When I get it, I'll try to investigate it. I'm guessing the new firmware may fix the jerkiness problem