Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:08 AM   #311

I personally have found no degredation from using 720p over 1080p, except for the obvious: resolution. I use 720 p when I'm doing heldheld zoom, because it's impossible for me to hold it anywhere near still.
mastermatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:08 PM   #312

What's up with the 20x superzoom??

Hey Everyone,

my DXG finally showed up at Wal-Mart. It seems like a really great camera, especially for those to cheap or poor to get a name brand. I also invested in a sturdy tripod that really makes all the difference. Some of the footage posted on this forum shot w/out tripod had some really bad shakes, but the tripod corrects that. I did the firmware update, AF is greatly improved. One question though. WHY does it say 20X super zoom on the camera?? The specs state that it has 4x optical and 2x dig.

Yo,
Tuco
UGLYTUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:26 PM   #313

it's 5x optical and 4x digital. After zooming in to 5x, the digital zoom then zooms in 4x on that... for a total of 20x

So high quality is only the first 5x, after that it's being digitally resized which is lower quality.
mastermatt111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:27 PM   #314

That's a good question about the zoom, your post made me go measure mine.

In 720p mode the field of view went from 600mm to 150mm, which is right on 4x. The digital part went from 150mm to 37m. That is actually a factor of 4. Hmmm. 4x4 is 16 though. But maybe they are counting the 1080p mode which is narrower, I'll go measure it.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:56 PM   #315

Looks like the digital zoom is actually more like 2x in the 1080p mode, not 4x. I measured a field of view change from 120mm to 55mm.

So I still don't see how they get 20x zoom ha.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:22 PM   #316

I have only read about 1/2 of all the fantastic information in this thread, so I hope no one has already answered this.

I am interested in primarily using this to record my daughters indoor volleyball matches. Would this be a good camera for me?

Some panning back and forth and generally, not great school gym flourescent lighting.

I am concerned about the comments about poor low lightlight performace and frame rate for action. It seems like it might perform betterin 720 mode?

Thanks
iwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:51 AM   #317

Hi iWrench....

Speaking of 1080p filming in an indoor setting I shot video from the Auto show this past Wednesday. Sugar Ray performed and the video didn't look 1080p. The night shots were unwatchable, and moving indoors is where all the detail comes into play.

That said, if you don't have adequate lighting you won't have awesome imagery evident whereas the videos where lighting was 100% optimal were a joy to watch.
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:24 AM   #318

Can someone tell me why EIS is only available in the 720p. And when shooting handheld video in 1080 without image stabilization is it possible to get decent video without a lot of jerkyness or do you need a tripod. Thinking I might get one of these but I just want to know what to expect. Sure can't be the price and I really like Taiwanese made electronics compared to the cheap Chinese made stuff, regardless what China says Taiwan's quality is far superior to the mainland.

Tom j.
Curt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:22 AM   #319

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2932348932/

So I have had my replacement camera for a few weeks now. No complaints except for the muting when zoming. Today I put the new firmware on and I'm back with a paper weight again. This time it will not focus while zoomed out. If I zoom in just a tad I get perfect focus. I wonder if they will take a second camera back for replacement. Hopefully 3rd time is the charm.

nicksws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:18 PM   #320

I would say that you don't have anything to lose at this point by trying to calibrate it yourself in the service screen. Look at my previous posting. Also, are you saying that it will not focus zoomed out, that is at wide angle? That's pretty unusual since the focus is a lot less critical at wide angle.