Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:47 AM   #321

Hi all, I'm new here and my camcorder from Wal-Mart is due to be delivered today. Ordered on Friday, so very fast shipping! I am interested in checking this camera out to see if it's right for me. I am a very value conscious consumer, so I could not pass up what I thought was a great price for an HD camcorder.

I have read this entire thread. I have a ton of questions, but I will keep it simple right now. I am probably the most average camcorder user there is. I'm a dad, and want to use it to record kid's sports, vacations, and special events. From what I have read here, it sounds like it might not be the a good cam sports, or indoor events. I will have to test that out.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are my main options for QUICKLY editing, and then viewing the movies from the camera? I know I will be able to play movies directly from the camera. That's fine, but of course with movies stored on SD cards, you will need to offload them onto the computer in order to make room on the cards for more movie taking. I do NOT want to take up movie editing as a hobby. From what I have read here, it sounds like the easiest thing is to use the ARCSoft software that comes with the camera to edit? Then what are my options, other than playing the videos on the computer? How do you watch your movies on an HDTV? What are DVD type disk options? I don't think most people have HD resolution disk burners, right? Do people connect their computers to their HDTVs? I guess my main point is, with a camcorder like this, are most people relegated to watching their home movies on their PC monitors?

I'm wondering if I am just chasing after an affordable HD solution, where maybe a higher quality widescreen SD option might be more practical. Yes, it has HD resolution, but if the cam quality is not high enough to capture action, or low light footage well, then is it really worth it? Thanks for any help you can provide.
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:06 PM   #322

A very nice SD camcorder right now is available from Canon.

It has an external microphone input.

Canon optics.

Remote control.

SD MPEG-2 in both 16:9 and 4:3.

Canon build quality.

$300 on various Web sites.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=16185

I suspect this is actually a better buy than many of the Chinese "HD" camcorders.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:59 PM   #323

It's also 50% more money, and it's not 1080p, nor 720p from what I was able to gather...
The bitrate was mentioned as 9.5mb/s

Sure, it has an impressive zoom, but that extra $100.00 fed my family for a month...
(I cook)
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:39 PM   #324

Actually, the previous individual was asking about EASY EDITING.

That's why I mentioned the Canon model.

In general, standard definition (SD) 480i camcorders produce video that does not overwhelm an editing computer's processor; so SD video is EASIER to edit than HD video. In addition, if the camcorder costing 50% more is built to a higher quality standard and lasts longer, then is it truly more expensive?
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:44 PM   #325

FYI I have a 16gig card in my camera and I filled it with no problems.
nicksws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:16 AM   #326

Can you get decent video with this camera if you hold it by hand or do you have to or should you use a tripod at the highest resolution of 1080p. Really new to video more of a camera guy so I'm playing catchup here. And could someone please take a moment and explain the importance of bit rate I'm assuming the faster the bit rate the smoother more detailed the picture kind of like the different speeds on the old VHS tapes? the faster the tape the more detail was captured, don't laugh it was the only analogy I could think of. Thanks

Tom j.

Curt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:56 AM   #327

I received my DXG-595V two days ago. I have only played with it briefly, but here are my initial impressions:

• Build Quality seems good[/*]
  • Nice size[/*]
  • Picture quality seems good in good light[/*]
  • Zoom lever is very awkward, I can't move it easily without shaking camera[/*]
  • 5x optical zoom is limiting. It seems that the widest field of view is more narrow than most.[/*]
  • No DVI or HDMI output from camera.[/*]
  • Camera shake is definitely an issue. Image stabilization is needed for any camcorder. According to the doc, EIS only works in 720p mode. In my testing, I don't see much improvement with it on.[/*]
  • Mode select dial is hard to read[/*]
  • Low light performance is grainy, but I expect that from a cheap camcorder.
[/*]

My initial impression is, if you are looking for a way to get a camcorder and don't want to spend $300 or more, this is a viable option. If you use it with it's limitations in mind, you will get decent results. However, if you are planning to use your camcorder a lot on things that are important to you, and can spend more $, go ahead and do it and get a brand named camcorder.

I need to test it out more, but I'm pretty sure I will be keeping mine. In my situation, I don't want to spend a lot on a camcorder. I can live with the limitations. I will come back at a later date to give more feedback based on more than just one day of shooting 30 second clips.
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:21 PM   #328

Curt31 wrote:
Quote:
Can you get decent video with this camera if you hold it by hand or do you have to or should you use a tripod at the highest resolution of 1080p. Really new to video more of a camera guy so I'm playing catchup here. And could someone please take a moment and explain the importance of bit rate I'm assuming the faster the bit rate the smoother more detailed the picture kind of like the different speeds on the old VHS tapes? the faster the tape the more detail was captured, don't laugh it was the only analogy I could think of. Thanks

Tom j.
About the bitrate. The bitrate is basically how much data is captured each second of recording. The higher the bitrate, the more data being recorded, which means more detail. So basically, More bitrate, more detail. I hope this helps
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:59 PM   #329

I re calibrated everyting and still won't focus. Time for camera #3

nicksws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:50 AM   #330

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Actually, the previous individual was asking about EASY EDITING.

That's why I mentioned the Canon model.

In general, standard definition (SD) 480i camcorders produce video that does not overwhelm an editing computer's processor; so SD video is EASIER to edit than HD video. In addition, if the camcorder costing 50% more is built to a higher quality standard and lasts longer, then is it truly more expensive?
That's fine but I seriously doubt people buy their cameras based on how slow their computers are...
If so then o.k. -but it doesn't make sense.

2nd, How do you know the Canon will last longer?
Sure, it's a Canon, but at a bargain price. I want 1080p not 480 interlaced.

Your last comment remains to be seen/realized.

I went to a San Diego Italian festival and recorded about 2 hours of 1080p video....Didn't have to change the battery, and the zoom ranges were very quick and unnoticeable...
From zooming in on airplanes, to ships out on the dock, and tall buildings this camera handled it all.

HD anything (including a Canon) will be a resource hog on any CPU not build to handle video editing. This is where good research skills would be most valuable. I totally agree that Standard Definition will be easy to handle on most lightweight CPU's. I have a laptop I use that can't handle the HD-and it is supposedly a 2.8ghz P4??? -It's not that good!
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote