Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:00 AM   #381

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
nicksws6 wrote:
Quote:
I have a 16 gig SanDisk card and it writes 16 gig with no problems.
With SDHC, there is no reason for a device not to accept all the way up to the 32GB Maximum. Usually the problem is incompatibility with specific brands etc.
Jiovanni saysit WON'T accept > 8GB, but you guys say it will :lol:

I'll take a chance and try a 16 or 32 gig :?
Usually when they say up to 8GB it often means that is the largest they have tested it with and they make no guarantees that it will work with larger sizes. SD cards have their own controller so within a particular SD specification they should in theory at least work upto the specified max. Older memory media like Smartmedia was a problem because it had no on board controller and thus it seemed to need a new firmware upgrade everytime they released a new capacity. My first digital camera, an Olympus used these, and is limited to just 16MB but they had an offer for $50 at the time the send it in, so you could use the newer 32MB cards. Needless to say I never bothered with that.

Thankfully SD cards are much better in this regard. My old Minolta F300 takes up the original 2GB SD maximum no problem. They were not around when I bought it. In fact I don't think they even had 1GB cards yet.

I remember an old Intel mp3 player I had that took mmc cards. When Intel discontinued it, I think 64MB was the maximum for mmc cards still yet when I finally found a 128MB card, it worked fine. Intel themselves did specify on their support that there was no limit with mmc cards. I think even an mmc plus 512MB worked in it though that size was starting to be impractical since it it didn't display mp3 tags, just track numbers.

Out of interest, does anyone know of a website that lists memory card sizes and the year in which they were first available?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:02 AM   #382

I wanted to buy DXG 595V

I visited Amazon.com. The camera picture on the web page shows top mounted Microphone which has 720P with no image stabilization.

http://www.amazon.com/DXG-DXG-595V-M...278&sr=8-1

but the DXG website shows LCD mounted microphone which has Image stabilization and 1080P.

http://www.dxgtechusa.com/public_htm...ts/DXG595V.jpg

Here are the details of two models by DXG.

THIS IS THE MODEL I WANT TO BUY
http://www.dxgtech.com/product_jpg/DVH596.jpg

Please guide me from where can I buy my 1080P DXG 595V HD or may be DVH596

THANKS.
zafrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:35 AM   #383

I also owned an olympus offtopic and the cam is a d490z I doubled w/o software purchase from 64 to 129 only prob was 999 was the highest count while 1500 plus was how many pics, I tested by snapping off the shots.

also:

mustek dv3000,3500,4500 do not accept higher cards I thrown my sd card in 4x the size and It works. This cam is 9 years plus old and ws one of the first cams around hybrid cams around.

So we are sure they have improoved from the 90' to- today

klike we saidit will be a trial anderror, if the company does not respond.....

they may monitor the site

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
nicksws6 wrote:
Quote:
With SDHC, there is no reason for a device not to accept all the way up to the 32GB Maximum. Usually the problem is incompatibility with specific brands etc.

Usually when they say up to 8GB it often means that is the largest they have tested it with and they make no guarantees that it will work with larger sizes. SD cards have their own controller so within a particular SD specification they should in theory at least work upto the specified max. Older memory media like Smartmedia was a problem because it had no on board controller and thus it seemed to need a new firmware upgrade everytime they released a new capacity. My first digital camera, an Olympus used these, and is limited to just 16MB but they had an offer for $50 at the time the send it in, so you could use the newer 32MB cards. Needless to say I never bothered with that.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #384

this is the camera i was going to buy before i found this one, the body looks exactly the same....

the reason i got the dxg is because it shoots 1080p while the highest this one goes is 720 and for the same price...

its the speed japan hd7z

New Speed HD7z High Definition Digital Camcorder Camera. 8 Mega Pixels Max., 5x Optical Zoom, Huge 3" LCD. With Huge Memory Support upto 8GB SDHC.

i wonder whats up with this body design...
for 50-100 bucks more they have the hd8z which shoots in 1080p
jackmode211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:38 AM   #385

zafrab wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to buy DXG 595V

I visited Amazon.com. The camera picture on the web page shows top mounted Microphone which has 720P with no image stabilization.

http://www.amazon.com/DXG-DXG-595V-M...278&sr=8-1

but the DXG website shows LCD mounted microphone which has Image stabilization and 1080P.

http://www.dxgtechusa.com/public_htm...ts/DXG595V.jpg

Here are the details of two models by DXG.

THIS IS THE MODEL I WANT TO BUY
http://www.dxgtech.com/product_jpg/DVH596.jpg

Please guide me from where can I buy my 1080P DXG 595V HD or may be DVH596

THANKS.
You are killing me man:?

This has been posted so many times....
WALMART.COM

If you were reading this thread you would have known that.

The 595v hd advertised on walmart's site IS the 596...Got it?
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:40 AM   #386

jackmode211 wrote:
Quote:
this is the camera i was going to buy before i found this one, the body looks exactly the same....

the reason i got the dxg is because it shoots 1080p while the highest this one goes is 720 and for the same price...

its the speed japan hd7z

New Speed HD7z High Definition Digital Camcorder Camera. 8 Mega Pixels Max., 5x Optical Zoom, Huge 3" LCD. With Huge Memory Support upto 8GB SDHC.

i wonder whats up with this body design...
for 50-100 bucks more they have the hd8z which shoots in 1080p
Samsung makes a touch screen with 10X zoom optical for only $250 at Big Lots...
This has a built in 8gig flash drive, but it takes forever to transfer data.

The fact the 596 has 1080p makes it a better buy and for far less money.
I'm not worried about low light filming because I don't live in a cave, and I have adequate lighting materials for that occasion should it arise.

EDIT: I checked out the specs for the HD8Z version with 1080p and I noticed something funny:

-The interpolated resolution for still images goes up from 5MP to 8MP, and
-Video editing software is different...

For $285 USD it's not worth the price difference from the 596HD version most of us have....Am I missing something? EIS is still only for 720p as stated in the specs???

If it had EIS or even OIS @ 1080p then I'd pay the $100 USD difference...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:54 AM   #387

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
nicksws6 wrote:
Quote:

While I don't like giving misinformation and per DXG's own website/comments from customer emails this: device has been rated to support a maximum 8gig SDHC...

This isn't to say that it "could" read and write to a 16 or 32 SDHC card...
First, a couple of questions:

1.) The real question is WHO here has a 16gig or 32gig SDHC card?
2.) Then, WHO here has written to the card to its maximum designation?

(This means you have filled your card to have approx. 16 gigs or 32 gigs of 1080p data/.mov files which=approx. 6hours or 12 hours of 1080p video respectively)

3.) WHAT card brand name, class, and model number was it that you used?

4.) Can anyone here-who meets this criteria please post your claims substantiated with proof for us "poor" old 8gig card holders?

I haven't seen anything but words ITT so the proof would really solidify the claims made by those who have reportedly done so.

Thank you.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:27 PM   #388

I didn't think so....:blah:
Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:43 PM   #389

I saw the Toshiba Camelio H20 on YouTube today. It's $300., has a remote control, red, green and blue av out puts.HDMI output. It has dc input. Here's a link, hope it works. http://video.aol.com/video-detail/to...h20/1284296507
nh7432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:53 PM   #390

One plus about the DXG-595V cam is that when you connect it to your HD TV with the included component cable it maintains the 1080p (1080i on my 32 inch RCA HD TV) video for monitoring the cam liveon the TV. The downside is when you press the record button on the cam it reverts to 480i for monitoring on the HD TV although it is still recording at 1080P. It would make a good security cam for just monitoring the live video if it had a way of being powered other than just off the battery.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote