Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:50 PM   #31

Hi the Fish & D1pam

Thanks for the excellent reviews

I am planning to purchase a lower budget HD camcorder for making Traveling/You-Tube kinda Videos

and i guess d1pam already used Aiptek Action HD so he may be able to answer the following queries

Hi D1pam,if possible could you kindly compare the two(DXG 595V and Action HD) and give your thoughts?(like audio, low light conditions etc)

also which class SDHC card is compatible with DXG 595V(is Class 6 8GB SDHC Card compatible?)

Right now I am more inclined towards DXG 595V over Aiptek Action-HD(based on the review and Video sample)

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions

Thanks in advance

mebaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:43 PM   #32

I'm going to Tahoe this weekend with the camera. So I'll be able to test additional functionality and provide an additional review.

mebaali wrote:
Quote:
Hi the Fish & D1pam

Thanks for the excellent reviews

I am planning to purchase a lower budget HD camcorder for making Traveling/You-Tube kinda Videos

and i guess d1pam already used Aiptek Action HD so he may be able to answer the following queries

Hi D1pam,if possible could you kindly compare the two(DXG 595V and Action HD) and give your thoughts?(like audio, low light conditions etc)

also which class SDHC card is compatible with DXG 595V(is Class 6 8GB SDHC Card compatible?)

Right now I am more inclined towards DXG 595V over Aiptek Action-HD(based on the review and Video sample)

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions

Thanks in advance
D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:34 PM   #33

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Wayne,

¬*Sorry for the confusion the camcorder does do 720P @ 60 FPS.¬* The DXG tech support guy I initially spoke to was confused.¬* And @ 1080P you get 5 X optical and only 2 X digital.¬* But, most will not use the digital zoom.
That's great, Thanks.

I will have to contact support about the other questions. Problem is a lot of support guys misread stuff, or don't care.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:45 PM   #34

Battery life is decent. With the stock 1700mah NP120 battery so far the longest I've recorded was roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes. After 1 hour and 20 minutes the battery meter was down to 1 bar. Probably could have gone another 20 minutes or so. I just ordered some 1800 mah batteries.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:32 AM   #35

Finally got the manual working. Bad, if the camera does not do more than 9.5 Mbps 1080p and 6.5mb 720p, then it is really not much better then a Aiptek. The 720p60 has more pixel rate and needs more data rate then 1080*1440p30, yet is given less. I can see the blotches on the waters of the clip. The high amount of color looks offensive and there is no indication that the preset color modes, or calibration, will remedy this. The massive burnout I have seen on some bright clips seem over the top (though it does have exposure adjustment thankfully). Even setting the shutter/iris, sharpness, or focus, forget it.

Live HDTV output the only remaining thing that could save it for me (unless there is a mistake with the data-rate) is unknown, but the 720p30 version of the camera had the common irritation of delayed picture on the cameras LCD, so I don't hold much hope for the HDTV output.

Lets hope that the 596 is separate after all.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:36 PM   #36

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Finally got the manual working. Bad, if the camera does not do more than 9.5 Mbps 1080p and 6.5mb 720p, then it is really not much better then a Aiptek. The 720p60 has more pixel rate and needs more data rate then 1080*1440p30, yet is given less. I can see the blotches on the waters of the clip. The high amount of color looks offensive and there is no indication that the preset color modes, or calibration, will remedy this. The massive burnout I have seen on some bright clips seem over the top (though it does have exposure adjustment thankfully). Even setting the shutter/iris, sharpness, or focus, forget it.

Live HDTV output the only remaining thing that could save it for me (unless there is a mistake with the data-rate) is unknown, but the 720p30 version of the camera had the common irritation of delayed picture on the cameras LCD, so I don't hold much hope for the HDTV output.

Lets hope that the 596 is separate after all.

Thanks for the advice.
I have seen up to 10.25 Mbps in my clips for 1080p30, see"1080P Train Engine Passes By (Max 10+ Mbps): http://www.driveway.com/b7q2x3d2h5"
thefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:15 PM   #37

Quote:
thefish wrote:
I have seen up to 10.25 Mbps in my clips for 1080p30,¬* see¬*"1080P Train Engine Passes By (Max 10+ Mbps):¬*¬* http://www.driveway.com/b7q2x3d2h5"
Thanks fish, sounds good. Are you saying the whole clip divides out to 10.5mb/s, or that it sometimes goes that high (I wonder if the Aiptek would do the same)? If you have a way of measuring bit-rate on the fly, how do you do it?

Have you tried to get a max figure for 720p60?

Thanks again.

Wayne12
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:29 PM   #38

OK, saw your chart, that is low bit-rate, but I have seen just over 7mb/s from calculating file length divided by seconds (I guess you are using raw data-rate reported from some application stripped of headers, data and sound tracks, or maybe it does more at times).

Anyway, this leads me to believe that there is a setting that can turn up the quality of the camera in the chip, and might/should be accessible through the firmware. My guess is that the setting extends up to around 18mb/s, that should give constant error free results.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:43 AM   #39

You might be able to eliminate this noise by putting the camcorder on a tripod.

I get noise from my Panasonic SDR-S10 when I shoot video "hand held."

The reason for the noise is the auto-focus mechanism is activated when the camcorder moves even slightly.

Try putting it on a tripod and see if the noise goes away.

I'm curious to find out.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:36 PM   #40

I tested it with a tripod and the noise is still there.

I just ordered another unit for comparison. So if the noise isn't there in the new unit I'll return the defective unit. Here are some videos from my Tahoe trip:

http://www.vimeo.com/1523724 (1080P)
http://www.vimeo.com/1523586 (720P)
http://www.vimeo.com/1523383 (720P)

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
You might be able to eliminate this noise by putting the camcorder on a tripod.

I get noise from my Panasonic SDR-S10 when I shoot video "hand held."

The reason for the noise is the auto-focus mechanism is activated when the camcorder moves even slightly.

Try putting it on a tripod and see if the noise goes away.

I'm curious to find out.

Private Idaho