Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:43 PM   #401

Yes Hybrids don't have a high enough bitrate to require highspeed cards. Also remember they tend to quote card speeds in MB(ytes) whereas the camcorders use Mb(its). So a class 4 is 4MB/s not Mb/s which would look like it wouldn't be fast enough when in reality it is MORE than fast enough!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:59 PM   #402

I havn't seen an AUDIO quality comparason with the Aiptek Action HD and the DXG-595v posted. I own both cameras and I will say that the audio quality is MUCH better on the DXG-595v. (I am not talking about the zoom/noise issue that is fixed by the firmware upgrade, but just the Bitrate/Frequency of sound recording).

I think the Aiptek Action-HD actually records audio in mono at 22khz but the audio track on the DXG-595v is stereo at 44khz I think? I could be wrong on the exact specs of the audio track, but there is a VERY noticeable difference in the audio quality.

davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:05 PM   #403

you'll blink and not miss a thing. others can spend their cash on higher cards while i'll take the savings and add it in other ways.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:11 PM   #404

davedude wrote:
Quote:
I havn't seen an AUDIO quality comparason with the Aiptek Action HD and the DXG-595v posted. I own both cameras and I will say that the audio quality is MUCH better on the DXG-595v. (I am not talking about the zoom/noise issue that is fixed by the firmware upgrade, but just the Bitrate/Frequency of sound recording).

I think the Aiptek Action-HD actually records audio in mono at 22khz but the audio track on the DXG-595v is stereo at 44khz I think? I could be wrong on the exact specs of the audio track, but there is a VERY noticeable difference in the audio quality.

I just noticed that the 595 on the DXG USA website actually says 'Stereo Mic' on the LCD which is interesting. I thought maybe this was just another mono device at first. Having said that the separation can't be very good looking at the design of the mic grill.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:48 AM   #405

davedude wrote:
Quote:
To the people with 8GB SDHC cards:

Do you REALLY need a CLASS 6 card or can you use a CLASS 4 card to record at 1080p ? The Class 6 cards are more expensive and it isn't clear on this thread if you really need a class 6 to record at 1080p.

You should really learn to shop better...
I've seen 4gig class 6 cards for 8.99 shipped.

I've purchased Class 6 8gig cards for 15.99 shipped...

You gotta look around...
JiovanniBenussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:03 AM   #406

You don't need any special high speed cards to work with these cameras. They only write less than 2MB/sec to the card even in the worst case. A standard cheapo blue and red sandisk will be fine.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:14 AM   #407

I think I have the "bad memory card" sound problem.

Please watch this and let me know if you think that is the case

I am using a PNY 8GB Class 4 memory card

http://www.vimeo.com/2179986

Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:33 AM   #408

A excellent way to show a test.

As i do not own this but does the cam have any internal memory? if so lets do a test that way as well.

I hear the choo choo train as ican describe it, and gear zoom noise.: was this in perfect order before? or is it just the mic isso sensitive that it picks up the noise

davedude wrote:
Quote:

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:38 AM   #409

Also as you might have noticed from my test video that Vimeo is now charging to upload HD movies ($60 a year). They only give you 1 free HD upload a week now for free. They encoded my HD video to Standard Def because I am not a paying member.

I am wondering if their is another site that lets you share movies in HD. I am not willing to pay $60
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:41 AM   #410

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
A excellent way to show a test.

As i do not own this but does the cam have any internal memory? if so lets do a test that way as well.

I hear the choo choo train as ican describe it, and gear zoom noise.: was this in perfect order before? or is it just the mic isso sensitive that it picks up the noise

davedude wrote:
Quote:

Fishy, I believe the mic is so sensitive with the firmware upgrade (no mute during zoom) that in a silent room you can hear the zoom very loud. I agree with you it sounds like the "choo choo train" that was talked about which leads me to believe I might need to try a different brand or class of Memory card