Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:17 PM   #421

rgvcam and davedude: I did a little testing with the DXG-596v's audio, and although it may record stereo audio at 48KHz, 128Kbps, AAC Low Complexity, the stereo separation is abysmal at best. I even processed the audio with the Adobe Audition program using the Max Expansion audio processing that I've used with my DV camcorders to increase the stereo field with good results. After trying this with the DXG-596v's audio the results were poor at increasing the stereo field. So my take on the DXG-596's audio is that it is better than most hybrid cams because of the higher sample rate, but overall the stereo mic feature is a letdown.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:23 AM   #422

Thanks for testing the audio. I figured that the stereo separation had to be almost nothing considering the left and right microphones were put right next to each other. At least it has higher quality recording than the Mono recording on the Aiptek...even if the stereo separation is almost non-existant anyways.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:06 AM   #423

I wonder why they didn't separate them a bit more on the LCD. Seems there is enough room. Perhaps it was an 'ease of manufacture' issue and they only put in the extra mic just so they can say they record in stereo!

Still the right one would be blocked by the camcorder body anyway. Don't most miniDV placed them on the front of the camcorder itself? It seems the hybrids and Sanyos place always them on the LCD when they have stereo mics. I guess because the main body of the camera doesn't have enough room being generally smaller than miniDV camcorders.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:50 AM   #424

I wonder if you could get better separation by gluing a little divider, clear plastic or something, to the middle of the mic slot.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 1:09 PM   #425

Also I know this was mentioned earlier, but you can play the movies made with this camera directly on the XBOX 360 in 1080p without ANY conversion. I just take the SD card out of the camera and put it in my USB/SD adaptor and put it in the front USB port on my XBOX 360 and it plays beautifully. No additional software or conversion needed. You DO need the latest XBOX update that you can get from Xbox Live directly from your XBOX. This is a great way to watch the movies on this camera on a high def tv without using a computer.

I've been told you can play the files from DVD-R or DVD+R DL discs directly on the xbox as well even though I havn't tried that yet. But from the SD card in the USB port it WORKS.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:44 AM   #426

So, is the new DXG 596V the best of the hybrid hd cams, because I plan to buy it soon? And, if eventually not, which is the best one it this class?
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:53 AM   #427

Hey friends, I'm a newbie on here, been checkin out this forum pretty religiously over last couple days, some awesome info. Anyways, after finding a HD cam on amazon.co.uk other day called "Speed HD-8Z 1080P" I needed to get some info on it.

Turns out it is basically the DXG-596V, but with just a different badge. It finally arrived this morning, and I am indeed very impressed with it overall. But I have some questions, which I'm hoping one of you guys might be able to answer for me.

1.) Does the higher class SDHC improve overall bit rates? - Annoyingly the one that came provided with camera, was an 8GB, but only class 4. So I ordered the following today - SanDisk SDHC 8GB Video HD Ultra Class 6, hoping that it will not only be quicker, but also improve data rates/picture quality.

2.) Does anyone use Sony Vegas 7 as their editing program? I happened to preview a small clip in it earlier today at 1080P, but it only read it as 1080i (1440, not 1920) Is there a way of importing the clips at full 1080P to edit, without also losing quality/recompressing?

3.) Having trouble with the firmware update, it's just not letting me drop the BIN file into memory card folder. Maybe I'm doin somethin stupid, it just says that memory card is protected, when it's unlocked. Ive read on here that some others have suffered same problems.

4.) Does the firmware update, eliminate audio problem or is that forever going to be an issue? Noisy zoom I'm finding. But to be fair, I hae a number of MD recorders, that I plan to use with my mics from now on with every vid project, so if it cant be fixed, it's not the end, as long as I can use it as guide track for seperatly recorded (and hopefully superior!) audio recordings.

Apart from the above issues, it's a bloody great camera for the price, and Im already finding that it has the potential to give out a truly awesome HD picture in the right lighting conditions. Kudos to all who have put up their HD tests/vids on vimeo HD, they look killer!

Just noticed this turned into a short book, so I will leave it there for now, if anyone can offer any help/advice with above, id be very grateful. ROCK ON!

Dan.
wookieulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:29 PM   #428

@wookieulrich

2) I use Sony Vegas 8, and I have the same issue. Though it says 1440x1080i, it actually exports as 1920x1080p. The camcorder uses anamorphic pixels and slightly stretches the pixels to its full 1920x1080p.

3) To fix the card problem, go to the diagnostics menu, click Restore defaults, and accept everything except for read mode, which you should set to "Read/Write"

4) The firmware removes the noise filter that mutes the audio while zooming. If you hear motor noise in the video while its zooming, you already have the latest firmware.
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 8:16 AM   #429

CheersRichardFaulkner for reply. When you say diagnostics menu, do you mean the one for trying to do firmware update? (push right on zoom and press display).

By looks of it then, I already have latest or similar update (firmware). I did some short video tests late last night, just shooting objects under direct light from room lights, and the detail that is achievable is excellent. Even previewing it through the supplied component cable, which only produces a1080i signal, on my 40" 1080P samsung LCD, it looked excellent, I was floored by it, and that was without any post work or anything. I'm really wanting to try a "sin city" look on some test footage soon, just have to work out how to do it, lol. Read somewhere that theres an effect preseton some/most editing software called a "colour pass".

One more thing guys, isthere a way of starting a new project using normal SD settings (i.e 720x576 16:9), then importing the1080P footage to work with, and then output it at full 1080P? It's just that my computeris just not able to even preview any of my1080P footage at moment, lol. Ive got aPentium 4 2.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, and 400+ GB Hard-drive space, but only a 64MBvideo card, which Im waiting to replace the second my new video card arrives (512MB NVidia GeForce 8400 GS PCI-Express VGA Card). Would this upgrade vastly improve the playback/editing of 1080P clips? Sorry if ive gone way off subject with this stuff, but it all relates to workin' with the camera! If anyone can help me once more with the above, that would be awesome.

wookieulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:03 AM   #430

:?
Hello everybody, thanks for a great forum, I love reading about all the reviews. I bought the DXG 595V from Walmart. and have been comparing video and pictures it to my Aiptek A-HD. I took a trip to Alaska and shot hundreds of photos and lots of video with the Aiptek. I really liked the Aiptek but it was only a digital 2x zoom and the sound was poor. I got excellent photos with the Aiptek that are very clear. Anyway, I notice that with the DXG-595V that during zooming it is out of focus. The focus will be clear before the zoom, then it waits till I have finished zooming, then it will focus. I installed the upgrade on the camera and that slowed the zoom speed. Before the upgrade it zoomed fast but did the same thing.
Any ideas?
MICOM is offline   Reply With Quote