Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:37 AM   #451

The "Site to Store" from Walmart is handy. Even with a Superstore we don't get everything. I just walked in with my email to the desk at the back of the store and they handed me my package.

Let me know if they did the one day shipping for you, I may have to do that a little closer to Christmas! LOL

A quick look on Ebay turned up some of the NP-120 batteries, a lot of vendors have them for around $5 each. A few I noticed are offering free shipping and from Hong Kong too. May take a while to get them, but that's not too bad.

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info Neil - there was a deal on those memory cards, but it expired today

So I ended up ordering some Kingston 8GB class 2 SDHC cards - hopefully they won't give me any problems.

I ordered it from walmart with one day shipping - the reason being that the person I'm buying it for is big on the extended warranties and even with the one day shipping walmart had the best price with the warranty included - hopefully they will ship as promised and it will be here wednesday or thursday - very excited to get it and test it out since I want to be sure it has the proper firmware and the memory cards work for it before I gift it.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:30 PM   #452

I'll keep you updated on the shipping time. I have to admit I did Site-To-Store once on a DVD and it took forever and I had to wait a good hour at the Site-to-Store kiosk for someone to help me. I stopped several employees and they all would call someone but noone would come. I assume the service is better at other Wal-marts. I definitely will keep an eye out on batteries - I believe someone earlier in the thread pointed out a place to get the cheap.

I cancelled my kingston order as Newegg.com has A-Data class 6 8GB SDHC cards on sale for 11.99 with free shipping. You might want to get in on the deal.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:09 PM   #453

Hey thanks for the tip on the chips. I'll get on it right now.

So far the camera isn't bad. Image quality at 1080p is sharp once you feel your way around the controls you can learn to work with the autoexposure and try to keep it from hunting.

If there's any one thing I'd like to see DXG offer it would be a way for the firmware to allow you to turn off the autofocus. But even that's not too bad if you plan your shots around it.

I've noticed in 1080 you get the wobbly jello look if you move the camera too fast, something it shares with the new Nikon D-90 so I guess it's in good company. LOL
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:32 PM   #454

Ahh! i just re-read the reviews and it seems quite a few people have had trouble with that particular A-Data card crashing and losing their photos/videos! unfortunately mine already shipped but I think I will be returning them and eating the cost to ship them back. With something this important and family videos I do not want to give a crappy card that will crash. I may upgrade to Sandisk which is way more expensive but reliable. I have never had a problem with Kingston either.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:43 PM   #455

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Ahh! i just re-read the reviews and it seems quite a few people have had trouble with that particular A-Data card crashing and losing their photos/videos! unfortunately mine already shipped but I think I will be returning them and eating the cost to ship them back. With something this important and family videos I do not want to give a crappy card that will crash. I may upgrade to Sandisk which is way more expensive but reliable. I have never had a problem with Kingston either.
Oh now you tell me!! LOL

Well, maybe I'll have one of the good ones. If not, I still have an old Panasonic digital camera that takes the chips, that's where I swiped the 256meg one.

Seems like I paid around $25 for that a few years ago.

If I see a sale at OfficeMax in the next couple of days I may snag another chip or two.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 4:54 PM   #456

Well it is still an excellent price so my plan may be to use the chips for everyday non-crucial use - say transferring files on a computer - etc. and see how they hold up - if it seems I have two good units then I will keep them and take my chances? I don't know - I would hate to have someone lose hours of video with a bad card - but I guess it can happen with any brand.

I am looking at good local options. bestbuy has 2 4GB PNY class 4 SDHC cards for 25. That is looking like a decent deal. Circuit City has a 8GB kodak/lexar card for 30. Will check the office stores next.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:42 PM   #457

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
OK. I have Sony Vegas 8 Pro, and it DOES support the import and export of HD video.
Vegas works perfectly with the video captured from the cam but you have to rename the files from .mov to .mp4. Otherwise you may get errors or no sound. As for the versions: Movie Studio 9 provides basic editing and will not export in HD. VMS Platinum has support for HD and 5.1 channels. Platinum Pro Pack comes with extra editing tools and more transitions and effects. Vegas Pro 8 is the high-end version for professionals, and is probably not the best value for consumers. Platinum or Platinum Pro Pack seems like the best deal for most consumers.
Thanks for the info Richard, that's exactly what I was looking for!
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:16 PM   #458

Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed in 1080 you get the wobbly jello look if you move the camera too fast, something it shares with the new Nikon D-90 so I guess it's in good company. LOL
That's the rolling shutter effect of CMOS. Even the highly rated Canon HF100 suffers from it so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:22 PM   #459

Neil,
I found a kingston 8GB class 6 on newegg for 19.99 free shipping. Ordered it for the gift cam and I have never had an issue with Kingston memory. I will see what I do with the other cards - I mean there are good ones out there per the reviews and I assume that a disproportionate amount of people submit negative reviews since a bad card is motivation to vent.

I went to CC and BB today to check out what they had in terms of HD cams. Saw a Samsung HD Flash cam for 320 - but it only shoots in 720p - steep price for that. Also saw a 400 HD cam clearanced with a hard drive, but had almost the same features and for more than twice the price. Definitely feeling better about the purchase.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:34 AM   #460

Re the Australian 596 version, I have received advice from the supplier that this local model does indeed have an optical image stabilizer and not eis.... so there must be a few different versions of this camcorder in the market now. The stabilizer only works in 720 or less and not the 1080p mode which is a pity.
I have been told over the years by dealers that much electronic equipment is tested here first, Australia has a smallish population, speaks English and is fairly savvy. It is a way for manufactureres to see how gear goes before releasing it in the large North American and European markets where a premature release could damage reputations.
vfastbear australia is offline   Reply With Quote