Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:08 AM   #461

Hey guys,

I've got a video project coming up this weekend, where I'm hoping to shoot a tribute band called "stingchronicity", an excellent band of musicians who reproduce the sound of sting/police with eerie precision. Anyways I thought it would be worth trying to capture theyre next performance for possible DVD promo release or Live release, depending on how it looks in post. Im goin' to be working with 3 cameras, which will include the DXG/Speed 1080P cam. Problem is Im only one going to be filming, lol..so I'll have a Mini-dv cam hopefully at back of venuein a room overlooking stage/crowd, while a DVD cam will be sitting on the stage just as"bonus footage", and then the DXG will be with me on a stabilizer standat front ofstage. Now my only realconcern isgoin' to be the excessive lighting that will be in mostly direct sight of the HD Cam, so do you guys have any tips or rough idea of if the DXG will be able to cope with that setting? Im thinkin ofeither goin withthe auto white balance, or trying one of the other settings, as I dont want to have over exposure problems, but at same time I want enough light to make out great HD quality details. I havea little previous experience shootingin similar circumstances before, with my Sony mini-dvd cam, which took some really good footage of close-ups of performers, but that cam has gota manual exposure level setting. What do you guys think? any help or suggestions would be most helpful, but Im quetly confident it should work out. Does anyone know if there is a limiter or somesort built in to the onboard microphone, as Im thinkin that being that close to the P.A./amps, that it might damage the cam. I only need the cam audio for a guide track though, as I plan to create a 5.1 surround mix with the engineer, should be killer if all goes to plan!

In relation to the recent questions regarding Memorycards, Im waiting for a SanDisk Ultra II HD 8GB class 4 card to arrive anytime now. I went for this particular one, as it is supposedly dedicated for HDshooting, and so maybe the transfer rates will be awesome. I got it forĀ£19.45 delivered from www.onlinememory.co.uk Im currently using a Kingston 8GB Class 4 card (camewith camera)which is excellent so far, though still having trouble with transferring files/updating firmware, lol.
wookieulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 4:33 PM   #462

wookieulrich wrote:
Quote:
though still having trouble with transferring files/updating firmware, lol.
Are you having this problem with all the SD cards? If so, I posted the solution somewhere in this forum xD. Just go to the calib. menu, reset defaults and set the "read mode" to "read/write".

Anyway, I've been having issues with still photos some time since I upgraded the firmware. The still photos I take are plagued with magenta and green smears of color. I contacted DXG, but their solution did not help
Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone have a copy of the old firmware file I may use to downgrade the fw to see if it works?

Thanks!
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:06 PM   #463

Well I got it today and updated the firmware. In doing some test pictures and videos I noticed two things:

1. There seems to be a dead pixel? There is a white dot in each and every picture and in the video - is this possible? Does it have to do with the lens? Can this lens have dead pixels?

2. There seems to be a transparent line running down the middle of the picture both horizontally and vertically - it is most notable in the video and the pictures - is this something wrong with the lens? Or is it a setting I can change? It is perfectly in the middle so it looks like a cross hair, but I don't think it should be showing up in the video. It is not the LCD screen since the load menus do not have this.

Any help would be appreciated.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:59 PM   #464

Here is a link to a short video I took with the camera:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TVYC5128

If you look in the middle both horizontally and vertically you will see the transparent lines. It is confusing as in some pictures I take I do not see the lines or I do not see both lines!??!

Is it some short of interference problem with the SD card? Or is it a lighting problem? I should try to test in better light to see if the lines go away?

This along with the bad pixel makes me think that maybe I just got a bad lense?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:16 PM   #465

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Here is a link to a short video I took with the camera:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TVYC5128

If you look in the middle both horizontally and vertically you will see the transparent lines. It is confusing as in some pictures I take I do not see the lines or I do not see both lines!??!

Is it some short of interference problem with the SD card? Or is it a lighting problem? I should try to test in better light to see if the lines go away?

This along with the bad pixel makes me think that maybe I just got a bad lense?
I must be doing something wrong, I went to that site and put in a code and it let me download a file with a ".rar" extension but I don't have a player for that.

Have you thought about uploading a clip at a site like Vimeo.com or Veoh.com? That will allow the clip to play instead of download.

I want to see what you are describing, did you try the camera before you did the firmware upgrade? And if you did, was the line there then?

Cmos chips are touchy and it's possible you got a bum one, I sure hope not.

But at least you can take it back to Walmart!
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:35 PM   #466

Oh, sorry about that - rar is a compression file like zip file and you need winrar to open it - I forget it is not as popular. I will reupload with just .mov file.

I did not try recording tests before I did the firmware upgrade but this seems to be something not in the software portion.

I really hope this is not a bad chip but I think it may be.

It would suck since I was trying to get this gift to them before thanksgiving so they could record family functions. I also paid for 1 day shipping so I will be out of that too. I think if the chip is faulty I will go for the return in store and get the Sanyo HD100 since it is all they stock in store here. It is a similar camera but I believe it has a few less features and it is $20 more! Oh well.

Here is the updated link - this will take you to download just the video in .mov format.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AYPN0S51

Any feedback will be very appreciated.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:43 PM   #467

Is it that little black vertical line that's most noticeable over the colon key?

Did you have the same thing happen with more light? That looks like there's not enough light to get a clear image.

Does it do the same thing in all the recording modes?

You are probably right, and there's something wrong, but maybe someone here will have a solution.

Although that Xacti HD100 isn't a bad option if you have to go that route.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:47 PM   #468

OK, So I did another test with a different memory card (same brand - kingston - but this was 1GB micro in an adapter, the other was 2GB no adapter).

The lighting was better in this video to - what I noticed is with the lighting better I could not see or notice the lines I noticed earlier. This may explain why some pictures had no lines since I was testing the flash. I moved from the bright lit shot to a darker area and then towards the end I noticed the lines.

This makes me wonder if this is some sort of feature of the lens itself and when the lighting conditions are not ideal it can be seen as some sort of reflection on the video?

If that is the case then I wonder if it is like this with all similar camera?

I have not been able to record anything anywhere near the nice videos others have posted but I assume it has to do with my lighting conditions and lack of experience?

Does anyone else have transparent lines in bad lighting? I understood that bad lighting=bad video with this cam, but the lines are a bit much.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:51 PM   #469

Yes that is the line - sometimes there is also a horizontal line. It could be the lighting - I am a novice so I don't know how things like this work exactly. Have you ever gotten similar lines? Or do you not shoot in bad light at all?

On the one side I hope there is nothing wrong with the camera - on the other side I would still like the ability to take videos in bad light without those lines popping up. I've seen some videos taken with both this camera and the Sanyo in not ideal lighting and saw no lines - but the only video I ever saw taken with the sanyo was in 720 mode which I have not tested - I will test that mode - maybe 720p will be ideal for low light.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:56 PM   #470

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Yes that is the line - sometimes there is also a horizontal line. It could be the lighting - I am a novice so I don't know how things like this work exactly. Have you ever gotten similar lines? Or do you not shoot in bad light at all?

On the one side I hope there is nothing wrong with the camera - on the other side I would still like the ability to take videos in bad light without those lines popping up. I've seen some videos taken with both this camera and the Sanyo in not ideal lighting and saw no lines - but the only video I ever saw taken with the sanyo was in 720 mode which I have not tested - I will test that mode - maybe 720p will be ideal for low light.
It's funny you should mention it, but I've only tried the camera out in bright light. I played around with the LCD viewer in low light but didn't record anything yet.

I'll do some tests tomorrow to see if I can force it to make the lines.

Have you tried running up the exposure a couple of clicks? It can wash out the video but if it gets rid of the lines then you will know it's a lighting problem.