Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:04 PM   #471

Do you mean the brightness feature?

When you click on the menu the first option allows you to do auto, and then it has several pictures - a cloud is one of them - is that it? I do know that the video I shot without lines was set on "night mode" so it was extra bright so possibly this is just a lighting issue - at 720p I just took several videos to test it out.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:08 PM   #472

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean the brightness feature?

When you click on the menu the first option allows you to do auto, and then it has several pictures - a cloud is one of them - is that it? I do know that the video I shot without lines was set on "night mode" so it was extra bright so possibly this is just a lighting issue - at 720p I just took several videos to test it out.
The menu with the cloud and the little sun and the lights is the white balance, you can usually leave that on auto, that's the first choice on the menu.

Look at the back of the camera, the joystick has "EV+" above it and "EV-" under it, that runs the exposure up and down.

It usually works in an auto mode, but you can run it up if it's not too bright where you are.

I haven't tried the night mode yet, but I'm still playing! LOL

By the way, I can get about 3 minutes and 15 seconds of 1080 on my old 256mb chip.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:15 PM   #473

Ah, thanks for the information. I am testing this out to make sure it works before I give it - given the bugs and firmware etc. so I did not completely read all the details.

The 720p videos showed either less or no lines - especially when the white contrast settings were changed. I will also need to test with the light on.

I am running a 1GB kingston right now and I am getting a lot of static and background noise even in silent videos. I am wondering it this is one of the cards the camera is picky about and whether that is the issue for the sound. The lines I think may be lighting issues since I see them on the LCD screen when I have no card in the camcorder.

Do your videos look as grainy and pixelated as mine? Or is it the lighting that is leading to such poor quality? I installed the software with the recommended video player but I must admit they look a bit pixelated and grainy even on there.

Thanks for all the help by the way.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:26 PM   #474

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Ah, thanks for the information. I am testing this out to make sure it works before I give it - given the bugs and firmware etc. so I did not completely read all the details.

The 720p videos showed either less or no lines - especially when the white contrast settings were changed. I will also need to test with the light on.

I am running a 1GB kingston right now and I am getting a lot of static and background noise even in silent videos. I am wondering it this is one of the cards the camera is picky about and whether that is the issue for the sound. The lines I think may be lighting issues since I see them on the LCD screen when I have no card in the camcorder.

Do your videos look as grainy and pixelated as mine? Or is it the lighting that is leading to such poor quality? I installed the software with the recommended video player but I must admit they look a bit pixelated and grainy even on there.

Thanks for all the help by the way.

The grain is almost certainly from the lighting, once you add a few lights or work in the sunlight you'll see a big improvement.

I had issues converting the 720p footage on my PC so I've stayed with the 1080.

I've got to up the memory on my PC, I'm at 1g now and it seems like molasses trying to edit.

I put a quick bit I shot this afternoon while I was working on a house: http://vimeo.com/2293011

I shot it at 1080, used Magix to trim it up and exported it as a Windows Media Video file at 720 for posting on Vimeo.

It has lost a little but it turned out ok I thought

Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:37 PM   #475

That video looks very nice. Especially compared to mine!

That makes me feel better. I was beginning to have buyers remorse.

I have a Canon Powershot 570IS which I purchased for $120 last year during a Black Friday sale. That one takes spectacular pictures and the video on it is not too bad but it shoots at 480 resolution. For a second I was considering going for that one as a gift instead of this one, but the person would like HD resolution if possible. The test pictures I have taken with the DXG have been so so - but once again this is in a room with one light bulb in an overhead ceiling fan - not exactly ideal shooting conditions.

I just did side by side comparisons in the video and the DXG does beat the Canon by a lot - only wish the DXG had the same optical image stabilization as the Canon. I will do picture comparisons as well in a few.

Edit:

My PC is at 2GB but it is still lacking in the processor department so the video can be choppy on it too.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:46 PM   #476

I'm getting more impressed with this little camera every time I use it. That test I did today was a side by sidewith my old original Canon Optura. That was the top of the line first-generation Mini-DV camera that had many of the same features of the XL-1 but with a fixed lens and only one CCD.

All these years I've been thrilled with its color reproduction and image quality, but this little cheapie blew it out of the water today! LOL

I'm just glad I didn't pay $2500 for the Optura when it came out.

With just a couple more features like some sort of manual focus and a mic jack the DXG is going to be hard to beat.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:16 PM   #477

I just noticed something interesting. Shooting with overhead flourescent light got very good video - but I noticed that even with that light I still see the line in the middle when dark colors dominate the scene.

I was shooting a close up of a black lawnmower in a bright room and the line shows up. When I switch to a close up of a eggshell white wall it goes away. Basically when darker colors make up 51% of the image the line shows up.

This just doesn't sound normal - maybe a faulty processor or chip?

Or even the firmware? but it seems like a lot for the firmware to mess up.

Reviewing the video yet again and it seems that the focus on dark colors is harder for the camera and it also intensifies these lines. I put the exposure all the way up to 2.0 and it improved the line problem but it was still noticeable when dark colors dominated.

Not sure what to do at this point - chalk it up to bad lighting or camera malfunction?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:25 PM   #478

Could be what you first suspected, I hope not.

Worst case you've still got the "take it back to Walmart" to fall back on!

With bright flourescents are you setting the white balance to flourescent light? It isn't a lot different than incandescent that I can see but it may make a difference.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:37 PM   #479

These videos make me think it has something to do with the camera:

http://www.vimeo.com/1919982

http://www.vimeo.com/1919362

These were shot with the Sanyo HD100 in low light at 720p and out perform anything I've shot by leaps and bounds. I just find it hard to believe low light on this camera could lead to so many problems.

I think at this point this will be return to walmart and I will purchase a Sanyo as a temporary gift so they can capture their holiday memories and let them know they can exchange for DXG if they wish.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:21 AM   #480

Just bought a DXG 595. Its battery is not being charged. Even after charging it for a full 12 hour session when I insert it in my camcorder the LCD info shows only 1/3rd chraged. It lasts only a few minutes before going dead.
Is it the charger problem, camera problem or the battery problem
KoolKam is offline   Reply With Quote