Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:49 PM   #491

Not yet, I was out on the road all day, and the only shooting I did a while ago was with a greenscreen so I had lots of light on for that.

As soon as my renders are done I'll see if I can't duplicate what you are getting!
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:06 PM   #492

I shot some in 1080 and some in 720 and even though the video was grainy and there was the occasional line showing up, I couldn't get anything similar to what you had.

Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:21 PM   #493

Neil,
Thanks for testing! I think it confirms that something is wrong with the lens in the one I got. I too noticed other videos from other people in low light will have a grainy quality and pixelated lines here and there - but not like mine. I saw none that had the exact same lines in the exact same place in video after video. I wonder what kind of defect it can be though - very strange.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:34 PM   #494

Apparently making CMOS chips isn't a perfect science, there's all sorts of glitches that can turn up when they make them.

There was a discussion on the Red One camera board (talk about opposite ends of the camera spectrum, Red vs DXG :lol about the difficulties in making the gigantic CMOS chips for the new series of Red Epic cameras.

My guess would be that it goes back to quality control in downtown China where these things originate (or Taiwan, I don't remember) and with the huge volume of cameras they must be making, once in a while a bum chip gets put in.

One thing that impressed me while I was playing with the low light, the little LED light makes for an interesting effect so I'm definitely going to use that from time to time.

Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:38 PM   #495

Yes, I noticed the LED light was a neat feature as well. Over all I was greatly impressed with the features, look, feel, value, etc. etc. etc. of the camera - but the bum chip ruined the day!

But the only other option would be that possibly I am the worst cam person ever who is able to make the camera do things no one else can through my sheer incompetence. But I'd like to think that is not the case. This will be getting returned today and I will likely buy the Sanyo as a replacement - if only temporary as I will let them decide after thanksgiving whether they want this one or stick with the Sanyo - next though will be free site to store.

FYI
One day shipping was pretty great - ordered Monday afternoon, shipped tuesday, received Wednesday afternoon.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:46 PM   #496

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I noticed the LED light was a neat feature as well. Over all I was greatly impressed with the features, look, feel, value, etc. etc. etc. of the camera - but the bum chip ruined the day!

It's like a cell phone that sends email, takes pictures, texts, gets directions, but it ain't much if it can't make a call! :-)

For the price tag I'm definitely going to have several of these, and I hope DXG comes out with some upgraded models in the future.

Here's a short test I did with the greenscreen today, I was too close to it so it spilled over to the chair a little. I also need to work on the grading a bit, I think it's got too much red.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v16683719G7E3Fxtk

Oh, there's no audio either, I'm still experimenting with ways to get the sound quality up to the video quality level!

Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:04 PM   #497

Well my first attempt at returning this baby failed! I printed out my online confirmation receipt because the packing slip they sent me made no mention of the warranty and they don't send anything physical to confirm the warrant so I figured the email would be the best bet. Well I get there and the walmart employees tell me that without the packing slip they can not return the item unless I want store credit! Oh well, I think I will just run this through the online return system. I assume I will be out of my overnight shipping charges .

I will check that video out now.

I played with the Sanyo in store today and did not like it. It is a handheld and those just don't feel right for me - a little awkward placement of the buttons. It looked like it had no flash for still photos (a great feature for this DXG) and it had a fraction of the buttons, controls, etc.

Edit:

Nice little video! That is a very nice picture quality for the light and dark colors. My videos look NOTHING like that! I can't wait to exchange this for a working one so that the video will be what it truly should be.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:49 PM   #498

I just got mine!!!! Quick question, how long does it take for the battery to charge?
lostboykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:52 PM   #499

My battery had maybe a 1/2 charge or 1/3 charge out of the box so I used that to test - never fully charged it - I say this in case you want to play with it right away out of the box.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:58 PM   #500

Help! Can't update firmware. Says it's protected and can't write file. I tried formating it with the computer, wouldn't let me. Did it on the camera, it let me but still can't drag and drop .bin update into camera. How so I fix this?
lostboykev is offline   Reply With Quote