Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:33 PM   #521

burlingandmending wrote:
Quote:
Hello, for your info another review! DXG 595V

From Burlinganmending Australia
Were you trying to post a link to a review? I don't see anything.
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:40 PM   #522

Hey Speedballin!

I got in thethe SD card that we both ordered from NewEgg and so far it's working fine, we shall see what happens when we go through the firmware upgrade.

Well I say it's working, my XP computer likes the chip just fine, the Vista one seems to be turning up her nose at it! LOL

It works fine when I run it through the camera and the USB line into the computer but for some reason the card reader doesn't want to see it.

More experiments in formatting to follow.

Edit: Spoke too soon!! The chip decided it was too good for both the XP computer and the camera and wouldn't format, nor would it read in the camera after that.

NewEgg allowed me an RMA to return it for replacement, yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:04 PM   #523

I would recommend getting a Trancend 8GB SDHC from ecost.com. I recieved mine a few days ago. No noise or problems whatsoever. And it's only $13! But you have to hurry! Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Flash+Me...avid=155438179

oh and also there's a 16GB for 29.99. Here's a link for that too.

lostboykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:14 PM   #524

lostboykev wrote:
Quote:
I would recommend getting a Trancend 8GB SDHC from ecost.com. I recieved mine a few days ago. No noise or problems whatsoever. And it's only $13! But you have to hurry! Here's a link if you are interested:

oh and also there's a 16GB for 29.99. Here's a link for that too.

Hey thanks for that!!

I'm checking it out now
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:34 PM   #525

Neil,
Sorry to hear the problems. I received mine as well and will start testing them as soon as I can. I returned the Camcorder and am waiting for a refund before I re-order. One thing I do know is I think that an SD card reader and a SDHC card are different so maybe if you put the card in the wrong reader it will mess up?

I might test the A-Data card or who knows, at this point I may just return them and take a loss on the shipping? I also got the kingston card which I trust to work since I used Kingston Non-SDHC cards to record the demos I filmed the other day. That is another thing - I think we don't need SDHC cards, but they help.

I have heard bad things from everyone from Patriot to Transcend - but I have also heard great thing. Very confusing!
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:01 PM   #526

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Neil,
Sorry to hear the problems. I received mine as well and will start testing them as soon as I can. I returned the Camcorder and am waiting for a refund before I re-order. One thing I do know is I think that an SD card reader and a SDHC card are different so maybe if you put the card in the wrong reader it will mess up?

I might test the A-Data card or who knows, at this point I may just return them and take a loss on the shipping? I also got the kingston card which I trust to work since I used Kingston Non-SDHC cards to record the demos I filmed the other day. That is another thing - I think we don't need SDHC cards, but they help.

I have heard bad things from everyone from Patriot to Transcend - but I have also heard great thing. Very confusing!
After playing around with the card and the camera for a while, and then doing the unthinkable; reading the book, I was able to get the camera to do a format, and since I found the menu to select and delete clips off the camera I may just keep the chip after all.

I definitely think the chip quality at the cheap end is hit or miss, some are good some aren't.

I still can't do the firmware upgrade but I'll likely pick up a few more chips along the way. I'm not using the microphone for serious stuff anyway so the level cancelling won't be a problem for now.

Hope to hear about your new camera, I'm getting where I like these bottom-rung units, you can't beat the quality for the price!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:21 PM   #527

Just so you guys know, you can now upload the DXG-595V videos to YouTube. They just added HD support to at least 720P. Check it out, the new player for all the vids are widescreen. I'm uploading a video right now. I'll post the link when finished.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:39 AM   #528

:?
Hi guys, I installed the firmware upgrade and I'm not too sure that I like it. As I understand it from reading the older posts, the firmware upgrade corrected a few problems, like no sound when you zoom in or out and the focus. It slowed the zooming speed down to let the AF work better. The main complaint that I have is it zooms a lot slower and now you really notice the focusing problem. During a zoom it is out of focus until you stop zooming, then it will focus. At least with the older firmware it zoomed faster (even though it is still out of focus) but you did not notice it as much. Just my thoughts. Also according to DXG (I called them) they said that once you upgrade to the new firmware you can't go back to the older firmware. So think about it before you install the new firmware.
MICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:56 AM   #529

Hello,
I am from germany and i have buy the
PRAKTICA DVC 5.1 HD.
so i want to know if it is possible to make the fimware of the DXG on my camcorder, because i think that
the DXG-595V video camera is the same like mine, but the DXG has a "EIS" and 4X digtal zoom.
please help me...
thx and sorry for my bad english

Wilroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:13 PM   #530

I uploaded the video to youtube but turned out like crap. Very blotchy. Do I have a setting on where it downgrades the quaility? If so where do i go to fix that? Also anyone with windows, please tell me what video converter software they use for the dxg-595v. I havent been able to convert my video files.