Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:13 PM   #531

Youtube is definitely not the way to go for video - vimeo I think turns out much better. I haven't seen the new HD enabled youtube - but even to get "high quality" while watching on youtube can be tricky.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:44 PM   #532

lostboykev wrote:
Quote:
I uploaded the video to youtube but turned out like crap. Very blotchy. Do I have a setting on where it downgrades the quaility? If so where do i go to fix that? Also anyone with windows, please tell me what video converter software they use for the dxg-595v. I havent been able to convert my video files.
Do you mean convert it from the .MOV format from the camera itself, or to convert an edited video to upload on YouTube or Veoh?

Straight out of the camera I'm using Magix Movie Edit Pro and I've been able to export movies into .WMV HD format (720) ready to post.

For standard definition video I was using Sony Vegas to edit and then Windows Media Encoder to turn the files into WMVs (sounds like something the military should be looking for! :lol
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:46 PM   #533

Thank you all who reviewed and commented on the DXG-595v hybrid camera. I have been testing the one I recently purchased. I've tested it before and after making the firmware upgrade. Conclusion: I like it.

I found that if I pretty much leave it on automatic White Balance and ev = 0, I get pretty good results even in low light. I'm glad they mounted the microphone the way they did too.

Because it is so light weight and portable I can take it up in the hills or on the boat a lot easier than my older Hi 8 camcorder.

I'm using both VideoStudio Pro X2 and Movie Edit Pro 14 for the post video stuff. Although both editors are similar, each one has individual specialties I like. It's is then easy to correct lighting or sound in the "raw" files to what is desired.

As far as I can tell the DXG-595v has no special problems or issues compared to other camcorders today that use flash memory.

Thank you for steering me towards the DXG-595v.
Jim G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:08 AM   #534

I'm still fascinated by the cryptic "DC" label on the cover of the USB port.

Has anyone tried one of those chargers for a cell phone in there? I remember having a Blackberry at work that had a charger that looked exactly like a USB mini plug.

I wish I had it now :sad:

Wouldn't it be a major boost to discover we could charge via the plug and/or run the cam on DC from an adapter?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:56 AM   #535

Hi again,

Sorry to quote myself :?, but to readers of this thread in Luxembourg and Belgium it may be of interest that the "Traveler" version of this camera will go on sale on next Wednesday, December 3, for 199 EUR.

Seeing that the ALDI stores locally apply a fuss-free 2 week return policy and offer three years guarantee, I'll have a go at it. As I wrote below, compared to the "original" this one has 10x optical zoom, a DC in socket , and a remote control. These features matter more to me than 1080 for the time being, and the Toshiba still seems to be a fata morgana.

krouebi2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

There's another clone out - maybe not so interesting to you US people, as it costs $ 249.99on your side of the pond, and is "only" 720P. But to those who follow this thread from Europe and have been doubting about the Praktica version quoted at the beginning of the thread, it might be good to know that the Aldi discount stores are offering this: http://www.traveler-service.com/hdx10usflash/index.htm- currently it's on sale in Switzerland, Austria, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Slovenia - plus of course the US. For those of you who are curious to go beyond the publicity blurb in the above link, the user manual is here: http://h8349.serverkompetenz.net/htd...al%20HD10x.pdf- it seems to be quite close to the DXG.

It's priced at 175-199 Euros, which puts it slightly over the Praktica version, but buying it at an Aldi store adds a couple of significant benefits, especially for a product like this, where you might not be fully satisfied: If within the first month of purchase you regret, find it less than satisfying or whatever - you bring it back to the store and you get your money back, no questions asked :G. And if you like it, it comes with a three year warranty, which is reassuring.

It comes with the Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme software (same as the DXG, IIRC), bag, 2! batteries, and a 4 GB SDHC card. The batteries can be charged in the camera, and on a separate charger.

I'll keep checking the Aldi website to see if it's offered somewhere conveniently near to me - while still waiting to see if the Toshiba Camileo H20 (which is 1080, but only has half the zoom) ever graduates from its current "phantom" state.

Sorry for this slightly OT :?.

Krouebi
I hope this OT doesn't disturb - it's not intended to :bye:. Of course I'll post what it's like if I manage to get hold of one.....

Krouebi
krouebi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:24 PM   #536

As far as taking advantage of YouTube's new "HD" video:

Just like it was mentioned before, DO NOT UPLOAD VIDEO DIRECTLY FROM THE CAMERA without converting the file to WMV HD first. It seems that the "MOV" format is not recognized as HD by YouTube and it will show the video in low quality only. I have been converting my MOV files to WMVHD 720p and then uploading that to you tube. You will still have to click "Watch in High Quality" to see it in YouTube's "HD"

I do like the results with WMV HD format. It has now become my "final format" for all my HD material.

davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 5:34 PM   #537

davedude wrote:
Quote:
As far as taking advantage of YouTube's new "HD" video:

Just like it was mentioned before, DO NOT UPLOAD VIDEO DIRECTLY FROM THE CAMERA without converting the file to WMV HD first. It seems that the "MOV" format is not recognized as HD by YouTube and it will show the video in low quality only. I have been converting my MOV files to WMVHD 720p and then uploading that to you tube. You will still have to click "Watch in High Quality" to see it in YouTube's "HD"

I do like the results with WMV HD format. It has now become my "final format" for all my HD material.

How are you converting the footage? I've tried using Windows Media Encoder and also as an export format from Magix MEP14 and I'm still getting really pixellated video on YouTube.

The footage looks good in Windows Media Player, am I missing something in encoding, I'm using the HD settings, or do I need something else to do the conversion.

Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:39 PM   #538

I will link my video that I uploaded to youtube so you can compare to see if my footage is better. Remember to click "WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7M3mYNdfr0

I just used Magix to export to WMV HD
Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:57 PM   #539

davedude wrote:
Quote:
I will link my video that I uploaded to youtube so you can compare to see if my footage is better. Remember to click "WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7M3mYNdfr0

I just used Magix to export to WMV HD

That clip is light years ahead of mine.

I just reposted mine, and one thing I noticed is that I don't get an option to "watch in high quality"

Here's the settings I've used:

Footage shot in 1080

Imported straight to Magix

Exported as "WMV 1280x720"

Uploaded straight to YouTube

Take a look, it's pretty grim from what I'm seeing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4vYxVEImqU

Edit:

I clicked on my own link and got the "high quality" option, but even then it looks strangely pixelated. Did you doyour actual shooting in 720 or 1080?

Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:46 PM   #540

Hmm definatly something is wrong. I shot the footage in 1080p and then exported the movie in 720p WMV HD format using Magix 14 plus. Then I just uploaded the WMV file to youtube.

When you do the properties on your WMV file what does it say? I will compare it with mine (Properties while playing in Windows Media Player)