Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:55 AM   #561

jessaj wrote:
Quote:
wayyy off topic here.

I am looking for an inexpenve but still good hd camcorder for my b/f to get me for christmas, he said I have to do research and looks for reviews, fair enough. Well...every camera I look at has rubbish reviews! Was searching from8pm-2am last night and found nothing. Its not the first time I've looked, these past two weeks I've searched a lot. Now I was looking on ebay and found a camera that LOOKS good, but I can't even find ONE review on it! I was wondering if anyone couldhelp me out a little?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JAPAN-H8-F...742.m153.l1262

Is the one I was looking at. If you think its a pooy camera then maybe a couple suggestions? I don't like the look of those lottle cameras that are cheap and are everywhere, I like the shape of the one in the link. Maybe if it looks twrrible could get some good suggestions under £150 or $220

That looks a lot like the DXG 566v, but the 566 doesn't shoot 1080 unless there's been an update.

The good news is the prices are coming down on a lot of the budget HD camcorders.

A lot of the people that post on these boards are in the UK and have pointed out a lot of similar cameras for pretty reasonable prices that should fit the features and appearance you are seeking.

I read a lot of the reviews on this board before I settled on the DXG-595 and have been really pleased with the performance, although I've discovered I need a lot more computer power to edit my video.

Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:41 AM   #562

Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:

That looks a lot like the DXG 566v, but the 566 doesn't shoot 1080 unless there's been an update.

The good news is the prices are coming down on a lot of the budget HD camcorders.

A lot of the people that post on these boards are in the UK and have pointed out a lot of similar cameras for pretty reasonable prices that should fit the features and appearance you are seeking.

I read a lot of the reviews on this board before I settled on the DXG-595 and have been really pleased with the performance, although I've discovered I need a lot more computer power to edit my video.

I think I saw a DXG one for not too too much, but its still JUST out of price-range. We have kids to buy for and their lists aren't cheap lol. Maybe I'll read all these reviews! More hours. hmph
jessaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:32 AM   #563

jessaj wrote:
Quote:
I think I saw a DXG one for not too too much, but its still JUST out of price-range. We have kids to buy for and their lists aren't cheap lol. Maybe I'll read all these reviews! More hours. hmph
This appears to be the same as the new DXG-580v.

Private Idaho has already started a thread about it: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

I guess that's why it looks so much like the 566.

Hope someone gets hold of one soon to start testing!
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:05 PM   #564

Well I am trying to work things out with Walmart right now - I might have to go somewhere else to re-purchase this - I did a return with walmart thinking I would just re-order - but now they do not sell it! I will have to find someone who does at a reasonable price and who can get it here before the holidays.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:24 PM   #565

What's a reasonable price?

Amazon seller Beach Audio has it for just under $200.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:27 PM   #566

That's not a bad price at all - Walmart after tax for me was 195 - so that with shipping would be around 10 bucks more and then I could get a warranty through square trade for 25 and leave me around 20 bucks for SDHC cards - not bad since my budget was around 250
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:14 PM   #567

That's a bit disconcerting that Walmart no longer sell the DXG 595. They didn't have it that long. After all they still sell the Action HD and it's down to $150!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:29 AM   #568

I wonder so to. DXG i would think is more to Radioshack, as Aiptek to Walmart.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
That's a bit disconcerting that Walmart no longer sell the DXG 595. They didn't have it that long. After all they still sell the Action HD and it's down to $150!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:35 AM   #569

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Well I am trying to work things out with Walmart right now - I might have to go somewhere else to re-purchase this - I did a return with walmart thinking I would just re-order - but now they do not sell it! I will have to find someone who does at a reasonable price and who can get it here before the holidays.
BestBuy.com has it for $179 right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1205026863556

JohnnyBra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:05 AM   #570

JohnnyBra wrote:
Quote:
speedballin wrote:
Quote:
BestBuy.com has it for $179 right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1205026863556
Yep, already posted this earlier. Also I noticed that the DXG is only ever available online, never directly in the stores.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote