Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:55 PM   #571
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Online stores tend to have the best prices - Best Buy is an option but they charge taxes - i will see if I can find a coupon for buy.com as that my be the cheapest option with a decent coupon!

Well I am a fool!

I forgot that ebay was an option and Squaretrade will offer warranties on ebay options - I also failed to see buy.com sells on ebay and had this camera for 199.99!

What I lost?

Well I had an ebay coupon for 10% that expired this monday - also on monday ebay and microsoft were offering 30% cashback on buy it not purchases.

Had I realized this and ordered monday I could have gotten:

Dxg 199.99 - minues 10% discount:

179.99 (no taxes)

then 30% cashbacj in 60 days:

$126.00 for the camera!

Walmart told me "we do not sell, we hope to have back in stock one day"

So now my only hope is to get another coupon and to hope that cashback returns - they have 0% cashback at the moment...

Oh it depresses me just thinking how foolish I was...
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:13 PM   #572
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 62
Default

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Online stores tend to have the best prices - Best Buy is an option but they charge taxes - i will see if I can find a coupon for buy.com as that my be the cheapest option with a decent coupon!

Well I am a fool!

I forgot that ebay was an option and Squaretrade will offer warranties on ebay options - I also failed to see buy.com sells on ebay and had this camera for 199.99!

What I lost?

Well I had an ebay coupon for 10% that expired this monday - also on monday ebay and microsoft were offering 30% cashback on buy it not purchases.

Had I realized this and ordered monday I could have gotten:

Dxg 199.99 - minues 10% discount:

179.99 (no taxes)

then 30% cashbacj in 60 days:

$126.00 for the camera!

Walmart told me "we do not sell, we hope to have back in stock one day"

So now my only hope is to get another coupon and to hope that cashback returns - they have 0% cashback at the moment...

Oh it depresses me just thinking how foolish I was...
Well crap!

I hope you are able to find one before Christmas like you wanted!
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:31 PM   #573
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Yes I hope so too - I was trying to do buy.com as they have a promotion where you get $20 off if you use Bill Me Later - but they were not able to process my request! I have great credit so I do not know about the issue. Wait - I just remembered some phony bill collecting companies added accounts to my credit report that were not mine! I am currently disputing those so I assume that's why there was an issue

Bestbuy and Beach Audio and other places have it in stock for a decent price so I will order it tommorow if no ebay deals come up by then.

I did get a great deal on some sandisk extreme SDHC cards so I am returning the ones I got from newegg and just taking the loss on the shipping.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:20 AM   #574
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 62
Default

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
I did get a great deal on some sandisk extreme SDHC cards so I am returning the ones I got from newegg and just taking the loss on the shipping.
I've had good luck with that 8GB card from Newegg so far. The only thing unusual that I can attribute to it is a strange popping sound in the audio track, it sounds almost like a loose connection in the microphone line.

In fact that's what I thought it was until I picked up an HP 4GB card at Kmart the other day for $10 ( I don't know if that was just a sale here or nationwide) and the audio problem went away. Same for my original 256MB chip although the background noise that everyone reports is noticeable on all the cards.

Since I'm going to record audio onto aseparate source it doesn't matter, but I thought it was an interesting anomoly that different cards affect the sound differently, I remember davedude pointing this out early on.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:59 PM   #575
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

I did read about the card creating some static. These ones I ordered should be good though - it was a hassle to get them - black friday sales plus I have to wait for rebates, but I am patient.

Walmart still hasn't processed my return! They say it will take 3 weeks though I sent it a week ago!

Finally ordered one though - best deal I found was ebay buy it now from buy.com using microsoft cashback. After the cashback is processed it will be 170 for the camera shipped and no taxes - if anyone wants a run down on how the cashback program works let me know - though they might be scaling it back even more in the days to come.

Now to order some cheap extra batteries, I need to search back in this thread as someone had some cheap ones recommended.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:07 AM   #576
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 62
Default

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Now to order some cheap extra batteries, I need to search back in this thread as someone had some cheap ones recommended.
Just watch out for the amperage on some of those cheap batteries, the ones I found were only 1300 MaH which isn't too hot, there are some out there that are 2000 MaH and should provide even more time for shooting than the one included with the camera
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:02 AM   #577
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 52
Default

I notice a number of folks here are using the software supplied with the 595 for editing. How do you solve the vertical squeeze caused by the fact this software does not seem to recognize non-square pixels and forces a 4:3 aspect ratio? I'd love to use this software for editing, but my movies are all scrunched to 4:3. My only solution is to convert to Divx HD and use another editing package. I'd really appreciate it if anyone with a solution could post it here.

Thanks,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:11 AM   #578
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Brians238

Regarding the DXG 595v video editing software:

I'm not an expert on the anamorphic scaling and square and rectangular pixels and so on, but maybe I can offer a little help.

The 1080p filesexportto 1440 x 1080 which is 4:3. Apparently that is not anamorphic with rectangular pixels, but with square pixels. It would take 1920 x 1280 to keep the 16:9 ratio (assuming all pixels square).

You probably noticed the 720p can export OK at 1280 X 720 and keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio. That's what I use.

So forpure unscaled HD, you'dwant to use 720p HD video and not the 1080p to keepyour work at its original resolution.

It's not that bad using 720p HD if your TVhas a 1366 x 768 pixel resolution. Which is fairly typical, andreally scales 1080 HD anyway.

Hope that helps.
Jim G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:08 AM   #579
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 52
Default

Jim,

Thanks for the response. I notice on my cam that 720p is much inferior to 1080p; I get lots of grain and artifacts. 1080p looks very good--perhaps I have some issue with the camera at 720p. On the other hand, from measured specs, the bitrate for 720p seems low. If it was possible to get 720p at 30fps (rather than 60), or a higher bitrate at 60, the image might be better.

I'll give 720p another shot and see how it looks. Thanks for the input, Jim. It is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:30 PM   #580
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Now to order some cheap extra batteries, I need to search back in this thread as someone had some cheap ones recommended.
Just watch out for the amperage on some of those cheap batteries, the ones I found were only 1300 MaH which isn't too hot, there are some out there that are 2000 MaH and should provide even more time for shooting than the one included with the camera
Thanks for the advice - did you buy the NP120? That was what was recommended earlier in the thread - I see some on ebay NP120 - 1900MaH which is close enough to 2000? They are two for 12 shipped which is a good price I think.
speedballin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:43 PM.