Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:37 PM   #581

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Now to order some cheap extra batteries, I need to search back in this thread as someone had some cheap ones recommended.
Just watch out for the amperage on some of those cheap batteries, the ones I found were only 1300 MaH which isn't too hot, there are some out there that are 2000 MaH and should provide even more time for shooting than the one included with the camera
Thanks for the advice - did you buy the NP120? That was what was recommended earlier in the thread - I see some on ebay NP120 - 1900MaH which is close enough to 2000? They are two for 12 shipped which is a good price I think.

I haven't bought any yet. I've also been trying to run down the battery that came with the camera and it hasn't lost a bar in a week.

I definitely will get an extra just so I can work the camera with the PC while the other one is charging, if I remember it right, someone on this thread said that any battery in the 1900 MaH range should be good.

The one that comes with it is only a 1700 so a 1900 should be even better.

I took some stills yesterday with the cam at 3MP and they turned out spectacular, I'm more impressed with this thing every day!

Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:47 PM   #582

I finally got my 595v last night and really like it so far. The mute during zoom is kinda annoying.. I almost get the impression it's muting out when auto-focus works too hard too, when sweeping around the room.

Was considering doing the firmware upgrade, but never could understand if it's doing more harm then good.. Seen several posts mention having to recalibrate and not being able to get things correctly calibrated or what-not... Got me worried about installing a new firmware to fix the audio mute.

Looking at my cam, it came with

FW: DVH596-V1.13-UA10

What version of firmware IS the upgrade on their website? It doesn't give any numbers, just says it's a "upgrade" Is 1.13 the version most of you got from the factory?

JohnnyBra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:16 PM   #583

speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
speedballin wrote:
Quote:
Now to order some cheap extra batteries, I need to search back in this thread as someone had some cheap ones recommended.
Just watch out for the amperage on some of those cheap batteries, the ones I found were only 1300 MaH which isn't too hot, there are some out there that are 2000 MaH and should provide even more time for shooting than the one included with the camera
Thanks for the advice - did you buy the NP120? That was what was recommended earlier in the thread - I see some on ebay NP120 - 1900MaH which is close enough to 2000? They are two for 12 shipped which is a good price I think.
2000mAh... $2.95... get it!
http://www.amazon.com/Hitech-Fuji-NP...583&sr=8-2
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:52 PM   #584

Hi Johnny, There are pros and cons to upgrading your firmware, in an earlierpost I wrote

"Hi guys, I installed the firmware upgrade and I'm not too sure that I like it. As I understand it from reading the older posts, the firmware upgrade corrected a few problems, like no sound when you zoom in or out and the focus. It slowed the zooming speed down to let the AF work better. The main complaint that I have is it zooms a lot slower and now you really notice the focusing problem. During a zoom it is out of focus until you stop zooming, then it will focus. At least with the older firmware it zoomed faster (even though it is still out of focus) but you did not notice it as much. Just my thoughts. Also according to DXG (I called them) they said that once you upgrade to the new firmware you can't go back to the older firmware. So think about it before you install the new firmware. "

Mike

MICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:11 PM   #585

I just posted a short (2 min) video on YouTube of the nasty weather that blew across our town today, I felt sure I was going to have some great footage of the gazebo blowing down, but it withstood the wind and made for a relatively dull video.

About all it demonstrates is the lower light capabilities, I set the WB for "cloudy" and just set the camera down on a table.

One thing I noticed is the left channel audio doesn't seem to kick in until about 34 seconds into the video, that seems odd. Also the high wind and rain noise managed to overwhelm the clickity clack noise you usually hear on 595 footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs1hOGSjrpc

I noticed the camera tries to do some focus seeking but overall it isn't too bad.

This was shot at 1080p and converted to 720 in Magix

By the way, kudos to YouTube for finally getting clear HD
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:21 PM   #586

Neil nice video. I found when watching your video I was thinking "O Boy it's going to go" hehe.

Also, youtube's quality is really nice now in HD mode.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:51 PM   #587

Can someone please post an explanation ora link to information that can help someone who knows nothing about video file types understand the terminology of .mov, and mpeg4, etc.? For the life of me, I don't know what to do with these files. I would like to view them on the computer, and more inportantly, somehow view them on various TVs, both SD and HD.
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:30 PM   #588

Hi MarkWright

Wikipedia has some good information.

I'm kind of new to HD video formats also. Everything used to be DV and mpeg2. But now its AVCHD (H.264). (no more NTSC now its ATSC etc. in the U.S.)

Mpeg-2 and Mpeg-4 are codecs (COmpressor-DECompressors) that allow practical electronis to process video information. The chipset in the DXG-595v processes 480M pixels/ sec.

At that video rate one would fill up 8 Gbytes memory pretty quick. So some kind of compression, and decompression to view it,for video is helpful.

That is what H.264/mpeg-4 is doing today.

Recently Blu-Ray beat out HDV formats which were similar in some ways. For example, 1080 HD in HDV seems tohave been 1440 X 1080 (mini-DV tape e.g.), but now its 1920X1080 for flash memory camcorders using H.264. The DXG 595v uses AVCHD but produces *.MOV files which arespec'ed as H.264 part 10.

I can remember when mpeg-4 seemed pretty bad. But it has come a long way today.

Formats like AVCHD seem to act like containers for mpeg-4 video and just about any audio format you want. To add to the confusion, some earlierbroadcasts seem to have used an HD mpeg-4as a container for mpeg-2 transmissions! (in the U.S.)

The bitrates for AVCHD (H.264) seem low compared to mpeg-2 but are actually pretty good when you consider the mpeg-4 (codec contained in H.264) is 2 to 4 times (at least)more efficient in compression.Which is good considering mpeg-2 was for 720x480 resolution and mpag-4 is for 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (neglecting audio).

For viewing *.mov files on the PC, you can view themin Quicktime (free download), or otherwise change .mov to .mpg for viewing on a PC (if you have the latest mpeg-4 codecs installed).

To view on an HD TV, well the DXG 595v comes with cables for that.

That's allot of numbers, hopefully not too many typos.Sadly I've had a beer or two after returning from work. So I hope this helps until someone gives a better answer. Or else, check out Wikipedia.

Jim G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:02 AM   #589

The downloadable FW upgrade is DVH596-V1.16-UA10

EDIT: I just realized I have 2 bad pixels. I tried running the BadPixel Calibration, but it displays the following:

BadPixel Calibration

No BPC Param

Insert SD BPC.WT
Press OK to Power-off

Anyone know how to get the SD files to fix this?

EDIT: It looks like it will need to be shipped to DXG to be fixed.
cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 4:36 PM   #590

I just got the 595v. I did the firmware update and I love it. However, when I play back the video there is a feedback noise almost like a low ticking noise. What SD cards haveyou guys had luck with on this camera?
stang1101 is offline   Reply With Quote