Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:51 AM   #601

Hello, im new to this forum. I have a DXG-959v with the latest firmware. The autofocusdont seem to work right when zooming in and out. Im going to try going back to the old firmware. Does anyone know where i can get it? Here's a clip with no zooming http://www.vimeo.com/2620693
hybanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:52 AM   #602

[align=left]Hi again,

and a very Merry Christmas to everyone:bye:.

After a bit of experimenting about I found the quite easy and straightforward solution to producing smooth DVD material, even with the supplied software: When producing the DVD, just remember that it should ALWAYS be a NTSC DVD, no matter where you are in the world.

If you choose (or if, as in my case, the system preselects based on the region your computer is in) PAL, your computer will be working for ages trying to convert your footage from 30 fps to 25 fps - and unles you have a very, very powerful computer the reuslt will be abysmally poor.

With this problem (which of course is only really relevant to people residing outside of the US) out of the way I'm really happy with my DXG clone .

Kind regards,

Krouebi (2)
[/align]
krouebi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:22 AM   #603

Could anyone post what firmware there running and where can i find it.

I am running V1.16 but i think there is a newer 1.

Thx
skinnymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:53 PM   #604

skinnymat wrote:
Quote:
Could anyone post what firmware there running and where can i find it.

I am running V1.16 but i think there is a newer 1.

Thx
This link will take you right to it

The instructions should be in the zip file, otherwise there are some instructions posted in the first few pages of this thread

http://dxgusa.helpserve.com/index.ph...nloaditemid=57
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:15 PM   #605

Can anyone tell me the best way to recalibrate the camera after upgrading the firmware? After doing the upgrade everything looks out of focus. I ask the DXG tech support how to do this and they said that it is very complicated so I will need to send it to them for the recalibration.
bb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:51 PM   #606

Hi I had to readjust my camera a few days ago because it was out of focus mid-range. So I used lens sorting, it seamed to help. But this is what another member had written. I hope it helps.

Mike O

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Has there been any feedback from DXG about how to recalibrate the camera after the firmware update? I've been able to figure out some of them, but some may require software that we don't have or targets that we don't have.

I'm just guessing on all of this, but here is what I have.

* Sensor calibration; appears to require a tethered program for the first part. For the vignetting part I just showed the camera a uniformly lit white surface... the camera appears to build a vignetting table to take care of shading in the corners at wide and zoom in the two aspect ratios that it uses. (4:3 and 16:9) This is probably not very important, but if you do it wrong (letting it point at a random object) this will be bad. YOu have to remove the battery after doing this since we don't have the program. It does appear to hold the lens vignetting settings though.

* defective pixel - I didn't try it because I don't have any showing. Hopefully the way it works is that you cover the lens during this test and it takes an exposure and maps out any hot pixels. I would not try this unless you have a problem.

* WB calibration; can't be done without a WB data table on an SD card. There must be a default for the camera and they should have given it with the FW upgrade. Does not seem to matter for my camera though.

* Lens calibration; I suspect that this one is important. The camera appears to build a focus table for each zoom position that the stepper motor can set. It uses this table when you zoom suring video to try to get the focus close (the lens focuses at a different position at different focal lengths). If you don't do this I suspect that the focus could hunt like crazy during zoom; depends on your camera and what is in the defaults. To do this test you MUST use a tripod, don't try to hand hold it. I don't know what distance this should be done at, I picked a distance of 6 feet, in the middile of the focus range. Give the camera something nice and contrasty to focus on like a newspaper, in good light. The camera will step though all the zoom positions and focus. This takes a couple minutes.

* Lens sorting. I'd do this first. It appears to test and remember the extreme lens focus positions. If you do it wrong, it says "wide close error", so I suspect that the camera should be pointed at a close object at the macro focus distance. This may even set the closest macro focus. I Have not experimented but it might be possible for individual cameras to have closer macro focus by picking something closer and closer until the test fails. If you don't do this your macro focus might be off or not as close as it could be. It is possible that the camera might not be able to focus at infinity or something.

That's what I have so far.

MICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:02 PM   #607

Thanks for the re-post. I guess I was just to lazy to look through the entire thread. I will try this out.

MICOM wrote:
Quote:
Hi I had to readjust my camera a few days ago because it was out of focus mid-range. So I used lens sorting, it seamed to help. But this is what another member had written. I hope it helps.

Mike O

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
Has there been any feedback from DXG about how to recalibrate the camera after the firmware update? I've been able to figure out some of them, but some may require software that we don't have or targets that we don't have.

I'm just guessing on all of this, but here is what I have.

* Sensor calibration; appears to require a tethered program for the first part. For the vignetting part I just showed the camera a uniformly lit white surface... the camera appears to build a vignetting table to take care of shading in the corners at wide and zoom in the two aspect ratios that it uses. (4:3 and 16:9) This is probably not very important, but if you do it wrong (letting it point at a random object) this will be bad. YOu have to remove the battery after doing this since we don't have the program. It does appear to hold the lens vignetting settings though.

* defective pixel - I didn't try it because I don't have any showing. Hopefully the way it works is that you cover the lens during this test and it takes an exposure and maps out any hot pixels. I would not try this unless you have a problem.

* WB calibration; can't be done without a WB data table on an SD card. There must be a default for the camera and they should have given it with the FW upgrade. Does not seem to matter for my camera though.

* Lens calibration; I suspect that this one is important. The camera appears to build a focus table for each zoom position that the stepper motor can set. It uses this table when you zoom suring video to try to get the focus close (the lens focuses at a different position at different focal lengths). If you don't do this I suspect that the focus could hunt like crazy during zoom; depends on your camera and what is in the defaults. To do this test you MUST use a tripod, don't try to hand hold it. I don't know what distance this should be done at, I picked a distance of 6 feet, in the middile of the focus range. Give the camera something nice and contrasty to focus on like a newspaper, in good light. The camera will step though all the zoom positions and focus. This takes a couple minutes.

* Lens sorting. I'd do this first. It appears to test and remember the extreme lens focus positions. If you do it wrong, it says "wide close error", so I suspect that the camera should be pointed at a close object at the macro focus distance. This may even set the closest macro focus. I Have not experimented but it might be possible for individual cameras to have closer macro focus by picking something closer and closer until the test fails. If you don't do this your macro focus might be off or not as close as it could be. It is possible that the camera might not be able to focus at infinity or something.

That's what I have so far.

bb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:58 AM   #608

hi, well i finally bought on of these little cameras, however when i shoot in 720p 60fps mode and watch it on tv or computer it looks like it has been sped up a little bit....is this normal ?
Coz to me it looks weird and if im recording movement then it looks like it is playing it back quicker, i dont get this issue when shooting 1080p 30fps...

Has anyone else had this issue, the camera came with the new software already installed......

any help would be great

cheers
evil_mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:56 PM   #609

Could anyone tell me how to access the firmware file on the camera?

Do u connect to the pc as a mass storage device?

I have done this bit cannot seem to find the file.

Thx
skinnymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:28 AM   #610

I am a NEWBIE to the Camcorder world and this forum, and was wondering what would happen if my computer did not meet ALL the system requirements that are listed for this CC? I got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up! I have the following:

Win XP SP3
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ (P4 is reccommended)
2.21 GHZ (2.4 is the Min/3.0 is recommended)
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU 128MB

Am I screwed? Will I at least be able to view the videos? Would it be best to record in 720!?!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance!!

Derek

dxtac is offline   Reply With Quote