Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:04 PM   #611

Hi Derek,

To play and edit the video files on a PC, it is nice to have a little horsepower.

The video frames are large in HD compared to Standard Video,and so there are more* calculations to compress them into the MOV (AVCHD) file, and to decompress them again for a PC player or editor.

Some video editing software minimum requirements will allow even lower Athelon clock frequencies (but require a dual core). Older GPUs may not have all codecs needed, so you may have to update the Nvidia drivers etc.

It sounds like you already have the (hybrid) camcorder. So I would load the Arcsoft Software and give it a try.

I'm guessing the worst case scenario is that things stutter more and happen slower on your machine vs. a faster machine. But, if you burn your files to DVD or Blu Ray, they should palyback fine on a player.

That's my best guess. Hope it helps.
Jim G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:57 AM   #612

lostboykev wrote:
Quote:
I would recommend getting a Trancend 8GB SDHC from ecost.com. I recieved mine a few days ago. No noise or problems whatsoever. And it's only $13! But you have to hurry! Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Flash+Me...avid=155438179

oh and also there's a 16GB for 29.99. Here's a link for that too.

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Flash+Me...avid=155438179
OUCH forgot to mention the almost $10.00 in shipping! Tigerdirect.com has a warehouse by me and sells them cheaper. Thanks though!!
Derek
dxtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:15 AM   #613

Your computer (the 2.1 athlon) is about the same as I have at my work, but it does not have a video card. When I tried to play the 1080 video I shot it would only play at about 1 frame per second, not watchable at all. At home my athlon x2 3.0ghz played the video with no problem. A new video card that supports blu-ray decoding would greatly help.

If you are looking for a deal on memory cards, newegg has transcend 8gb class 6 for 12.99$ with free shipping. I just oredered 2 this weekend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208293

bobjr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:36 AM   #614

Can anyone recommend a charger for the np-120 battery (and or replacement batteries)? i think mine is fried. TIA
meccadon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:05 PM   #615

asianschoolgirl wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody, first off great site!

But, got a problem here... Mine just arrived from walmart.com and I'm running into the same "file error" problem when trying to record. After only 10 to 15 seconds while recording in either 1080p or 720p a big red "file error" screen comes up.

I tried formatting the card using the camera, using windows, and using that Panasonic card formatting program that somebody else suggested but none of them have resolved the issue. I'm going to try and pick up a different card and give that a shot but thus far cannot record anything. Any suggestions? (photos don't work either)

:-?

thanks~
AsianSchoolGirl or Anyone!!

I just received myCC today and placed a Transcend 8GB C6 card in and had the same thing happen. Is there a proven card that has no issues with this camera??? I can returnthe cardand get a different one but I want to get one that will work. Does the utility that MOOK663 referred to have to be used with a Panasonic card or can I try it with mine?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:12 PM   #616

Heya all,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to stream on the camera? I work for a local news station and storm chase and capture video/stills ect...but we have been starting to get into live streaming reports.

I did a test run on my desktop to see if I could feed via USB, but of course that just reads the card. Is there a way to get the camera to stream for me? Or am I looking to find a higher end camera for that function?

Thanks.
g00b3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:01 PM   #617

A reply to my own post! LOL

Anyway, I went and returned the Transcend at Tigerdirect (I had to get a District Manager involved to waive the 15% re-stocking fee!!) and bought a SanDisk 8GB SDHC Class2 card and it worked like a charm. Now with a Disney trip in October I will need a few more but at $24.97 each they don't break the bank!! I already purchased 2 extra 2000mAh batteries for $4.99 each so I should be set there!

Thanks for such a GREAT, INFORMATIVE forum everyone!!

Derek
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:31 PM   #618

g00b3r wrote:
Quote:
Heya all,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to stream on the camera? I work for a local news station and storm chase and capture video/stills ect...but we have been starting to get into live streaming reports.

I did a test run on my desktop to see if I could feed via USB, but of course that just reads the card. Is there a way to get the camera to stream for me? Or am I looking to find a higher end camera for that function?

Thanks.
I would use a USB TV tuner to stream. If you want HD streaming, you need to make sure the card has RGB component input. I've tested with composite (standard-def) and it works like a charm. This method will also work if you want to use your camcorder as a webcam
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:57 PM   #619

i just purchased this camera after reading some of this thread in earlier stages. i have since been following it and actually read the entire thing before asking questions that have now been asked about 10x over from people not caring to read that their questions have already been answered.

aside from that, it seems many people are frightened of the firmware upgrade for some reason. IT'S NOT DIFFICULT. i was very unpleased with how the microphone would cut out whenever i focused before so the firmware upgrade was awesome. yes, you do have to recalibrate your camcorder, but it is nothing to fear. or as some people are saying, the firmware upgrade is not worth the camera needing to be recalibrated. oh believe me, it is. completely different camera after the firmware/recalibration. and no you don't have to send it to dxg. you can do it at home if you have a tripod or even a countertop would be fine in a decently lit kitchen/dining room.

after purchasing this camcorder, upgrading to the newest firmware, then following brachiopod's simple instructions on recalibrating, this is the best $190 i've ever spent for the results. after you upgrade and recalibrate, you will love this thing even more. great buy. i'm so happy so far. THANKS BRACHIOPOD!
the#1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 12:56 PM   #620

Welcome aboard the#1dad

ifone woulddo a actual filming of this it be great but 99.9 are like you said?

the#1dad wrote:
Quote:
i just purchased this camera after reading some of this thread in earlier stages. i have since been following it and actually read the entire thing before asking questions that have now been asked about 10x over from people not caring to read that their questions have already been answered.

aside from that, it seems many people are frightened of the firmware upgrade for some reason. IT'S NOT DIFFICULT. i was very unpleased with how the microphone would cut out whenever i focused before so the firmware upgrade was awesome. yes, you do have to recalibrate your camcorder, but it is nothing to fear. or as some people are saying, the firmware upgrade is not worth the camera needing to be recalibrated. oh believe me, it is. completely different camera after the firmware/recalibration. and no you don't have to send it to dxg. you can do it at home if you have a tripod or even a countertop would be fine in a decently lit kitchen/dining room.

after purchasing this camcorder, upgrading to the newest firmware, then following brachiopod's simple instructions on recalibrating, this is the best $190 i've ever spent for the results. after you upgrade and recalibrate, you will love this thing even more. great buy. i'm so happy so far. THANKS BRACHIOPOD!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote