Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:03 PM   #621

I picked up a Praktica 5.1 HD (equivalent to a DXG 595 I guess and it's a great cam. Yeah it only shoots in 720 @30fps but it looks fantastic and I managed to convert the files with the bundled Presto to DIVX at maximum settings with no visible loss in quality. They actually look better than the raw files do through Quicktime (yukky software). Stills are great too and I only paid £90 for it. You can get them here at the mo for £86 though. Incidentally, I'm using an 8GB Integral Ultima Pro (class6) and don't get any of the noises you all describe apart from slight zoom noise. The only thing I don't like is that e zoom starts off slow then speeds up as it zooms in. Weird.
Overall though a brilliant cam. BY the way, if anyone is intereted, mymemory.com sell cards dirt cheap compared to any other's I can find here in the UK. My Integral was only £11 or £12.99 post free worldwide.
DaddySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:56 AM   #622

I have seen people saying they bought 8gb transcend sd cards and had recording problems. I got the 2 I ordered from newegg for like 12.99 each with free shipping. They seem to be working fine.
I currently have it pointed at my other monitor recording a movie, I let it recored to 40 minutes then stopped it and started it again and it's and still recording. I have zoomed it in and out several times and keep movining it around. I upgraded the camera when I got it to the Aug 2008 firmware, maybe that helped or maybe transcend updated their cards.
bobjr94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:29 AM   #623

hi all

I just got this and its pretty good but the software it came with isn't much to get excited over. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good software that will allow me to stream video straight onto my pc so I can record or even use it as a webcam?

esurfer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 9:46 AM   #624

esurfer99 wrote:
Quote:
hi all

I just got this and its pretty good but the software it came with isn't much to get excited over. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good software that will allow me to stream video straight onto my pc so I can record or even use it as a webcam?
Someone already asked the same exact question. If you look ONE page back, you will see my answer. Trust me. You'll probably find the answer to all of your questions about this cam if you just READ some of the pages on this forum.

Use a TV tuner to make your cam a webcam. You can use any program like Movie Maker, iMovie, Final Cut, Vegas, Premier, etc. to record the video.
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:06 PM   #625

Got my DXG-595V this past Sept....love it. I have noticed lately, however, that when I zoom in to an object/person (most notibly indoors), that the camera focuses in-and-out of focus, like it can't seem to lock-into-focus the subject (stays blurry). Has anyone had this problem? Thanks.
Latechslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:19 PM   #626

Latechslack wrote:
Quote:
Got my DXG-595V this past Sept....love it. I have noticed lately, however, that when I zoom in to an object/person (most notibly indoors), that the camera focuses in-and-out of focus, like it can't seem to lock-into-focus the subject (stays blurry). Has anyone had this problem? Thanks.
Go a couple of pages back and read Brachiopod's calibration instructions.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:59 AM   #627

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Latechslack wrote:
Quote:
Go a couple of pages back and read Brachiopod's calibration instructions.
Thanks, but I read it before i posted. I thought it applied to firmware updates, which I have never done to my camera. So, are you saying to re-calibrate? If so, what would apply (e.g., Lens sorting)? Thanks again.

Michael
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:23 PM   #628

Yes. Try recalibrating

I'm surprised you have auto-focusing problems on the old firmware. I never had problems. Hopefully recalibrating will fix it.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:41 PM   #629

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Yes. Try recalibrating

I'm surprised you have auto-focusing problems on the old firmware. I never had problems. Hopefully recalibrating will fix it.
Thanks. I submitted a ticket to DXG and they promptly responded indicating that my "issue" usually occurs in low light conditions. Well, I started thinking, that when I have focusing issues, it is always indoors. Maybe that is it, but it does occur when it is fairly light inside. Should I still try and recalibrate? If so, what calibration step? Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:04 PM   #630

Latechslack wrote:
Quote:
RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Yes. Try recalibrating

Thanks. I submitted a ticket to DXG and they promptly responded indicating that my "issue" usually occurs in low light conditions. Well, I started thinking, that when I have focusing issues, it is always indoors. Maybe that is it, but it does occur when it is fairly light inside. Should I still try and recalibrate? If so, what calibration step? Thanks again.
I suggest you do recalibrate it anyways. Just do the lens calibration and see if it helps.