Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:44 AM   #631

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Latechslack wrote:
Quote:
RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Yes. Try recalibrating

I'm surprised you have auto-focusing problems on the old firmware. I never had problems. Hopefully recalibrating will fix it.
Thanks. I submitted a ticket to DXG and they promptly responded indicating that my "issue" usually occurs in low light conditions. Well, I started thinking, that when I have focusing issues, it is always indoors. Maybe that is it, but it does occur when it is fairly light inside. Should I still try and recalibrate? If so, what calibration step? Thanks again.
I suggest you do recalibrate it anyways. Just do the lens calibration and see if it helps.
Richard,

Do you have a recommendation for setting up the lens calibration?

My calibration menu is showing a result of "1NG" for the calibration even though the camera seems to be working fine.

I tried various objects at different distances and different light sources (always on a tripod) while running the calibration routine but the result is still "1NG" rather than "OK". I haven't seen any specific setups other than one in early on in the messages saying to have a contrasting object about 6 feet from the camera.

Thanks,
Neil
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:27 PM   #632

@Niel Russel

Even though it says 1NG, it should be fine. I get the same results. Brachiopod's instructions work perfect for me. I just put the camera on a desk and let it focus on an object around six feet away. Just make sure there is no movement while the calibration is in progress.
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:34 PM   #633

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
@Niel Russel

Even though it says 1NG, it should be fine. I get the same results. Brachiopod's instructions work perfect for me. I just put the camera on a desk and let it focus on an object around six feet away. Just make sure there is no movement while the calibration is in progress.
I was hoping that was the case, but I didn't want any surprises when I really needed the camera!!:lol:

Thanks!
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:44 PM   #634

Hey guys. I've come up with an idea and want to see what you guys think about it. I'm planning on making my DXG cam solar powered! I found some 3.6v solar panels online (could not find a 3.7v) and was wondering if 3.6v would be sufficient. I'm also wondering how many panels I would need to power the cam. I might order some panels online soon and I'll see if I can successfully make a solar-powered cam
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:42 PM   #635

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys. I've come up with an idea and want to see what you guys think about it. I'm planning on making my DXG cam solar powered! I found some 3.6v solar panels online (could not find a 3.7v) and was wondering if 3.6v would be sufficient. I'm also wondering how many panels I would need to power the cam. I might order some panels online soon and I'll see if I can successfully make a solar-powered cam
Well, if you will pardon my saying so, you will need to read up a bit first. The important things about solar power are... 1) power (watts) 2) What do do when the sun is not shining (battery storage system). Voltage is secondary. For example, the camera will need several square feet of solar panel to drive it... assuming direct noontime Sun hitting it with the panel properly oriented. Second, even a momentary interruption in power because of a cloud or shadow or because you did not keep your giant solar array pointed at the Sun could corrupt your memory card if you are recording, so you will need some kind of battery storage system that can power the camera. A much easier way to have a "solar powered" camera would be to build a solar battery charger for the batteries; you could probably charge one of the batteries in a couple days with a panel like that assuming sunny days.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:29 PM   #636

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ed-usb-charger

it's possable
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:21 AM   #637

Does anyone know of a good reference explaining the methods and software needed to get the best quality *regular* DVD recordings from the output of this camera?

I'd like to be able to create regular DVDs that can be played on anyone's (non-Blu-Ray) DVD player.

Thanks,

Scott
export is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:20 PM   #638

guys, these forums are great - I just discovered them. Nice work on the review of the DXG-595V, "thefish"!

Has anyone actually used the Aiptek GVS and the DXG-595V to compare them? They are my two finalists!

Any feedback welcome...

socaldrummer
socaldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:10 PM   #639

:?Hi socaldrummer, I have a Aiptek HD and the DXG 595v. I took the aiptek with me on a vacation and took 100+ pictures and 20+ videos, very few were poor pictures and all the video came out great. The Aiptek is small and fits into my pocket. My DXG 595v also takes very good pictures and video, however now it has a focusing problem and I have sent it back to the factory for repair (second time). On my next vacation I will still take the Aiptek because it is dependable and small. The DXG does not fit in my pants pocket. I can take out the Aiptek and take a video or picture quickly.

The Aiptek has fixed focusing so it is always focused. The DXG has a zoom which is nice, but sometimes it gets out of focus. I don't want to take a chance with out of focus pictures while I'm on vacation.

Mike

MICOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:25 PM   #640

Thanks Mike - this is really helpful feedback! Like your vacation plans...

socaldrummer
socaldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote