Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:33 AM   #651

Fishycomics makes some good points.

Much as I love my little 595v, there are some other cameras coming on the market that have a bit more "brand appeal", for example Sony has introduced the MHS-CM1 Webbie HD for right at $200 that has many of the same features of the 595v and perhaps with a few less bugs. You can read about it here: http://tinyurl.com/ajxl7j

I haven't read any reviews of it yet and it does use Sony's proprietary memory sticks rather than SD cards, but I would imagine it is just one of many low priced HD cams that the big names are putting out.

Also consider for what two DXG 595v's cost (at the price seen on ebay) you can own a Canon HF100 with enough features to keep you busy for a long time. TigerDirect runs sales on them all the time.

This is getting to be a really great time for videomakers on all fronts! :G

EDIT/UPDATE

Iwas looking around for some reviews of the Sony cam, andone in particular jumped out. The news didn't sound too good. http://www.michaelsmith.tv/2009/01/2...1-full-review/

Read the comments belowthe review.

After that, the 595vcompares out like a Canon XL1. Interestingly the biggest beef was rolling shutter, which has been far less of a problem to me with my 595 than I would have thought.

Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:03 PM   #652

Im not exactly sure why you would compare this cam with an XL1.

This is an hd cam the xl1 is sd. I own an xl1. Maybe I mis read, were you just refering to rolling shutter?
chewdog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:40 PM   #653

chewdog316 wrote:
Quote:

This is an hd cam the xl1 is sd. I own an xl1. Maybe I mis read, were you just refering to rolling shutter?
I was being a bit sarcastic, saying the weak feature set on the Sony makes the DXG look like a much pricier camera, nothing to do with the resolution

Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:55 PM   #654

Unsure if it still stands but always email thesites asking hey do I get the discount, tigerdirect.com did offer me tha. as I requested , ifI buy.........

in the thread here some one mentions 25 min per record time on that Webbie. pass

best to research, best not to compare to 3000.00 models. when you shop you look at just above, and a lil below, you'll decide what is best.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:02 PM   #655

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Unsure if it still stands but always email thesites asking hey do I get the discount, tigerdirect.com did offer me tha. as I requested , ifI buy.........

in the thread here some one mentions 25 min per record time on that Webbie. pass

best to research, best not to compare to 3000.00 models. when you shop you look at just above, and a lil below, you'll decide what is best.
EDIT: Do you mean it records in 25 minute segments? That would change the whole discussion!

From the review it sounds like the Webbie can record a lot more than 25mins;

"We've put in 16GB sticks and at 720P it offers an amazing 8 1/2 hours of record time or 6000 still photos. So even with a 4GB stick you'll be looking at 2 hours of record time - which is longer than the battery will last."

Just seems like it has some pretty stinko features like a losable lens cap, no replaceable battery, and proprietary Sony memory chips that make it less attractive than the DXG.

Perhaps the folks at Sony figure the low-end of the market isn't worth exploiting, or maybe they want people to come in the stores to see the low priced model and get upsold to something better.

Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:22 PM   #656

Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
chewdog316 wrote:
Quote:

I was being a bit sarcastic, saying the weak feature set on the Sony makes the DXG look like a much pricier camera, nothing to do with the resolution

Oh okay, no worries.
chewdog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:29 PM   #657

Think that is what Nuttysquerril said. in segments. it is a pritty decent time but when you are filming a priceless moment and BAM! what happ. till you realize Lol

Neil Russell wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: Do you mean it records in 25 minute segments? That would change the whole discussion!

From the review it sounds like the Webbie can record a lot more than 25mins;

"We've put in 16GB sticks and at 720P it offers an amazing 8 1/2 hours of record time or 6000 still photos. So even with a 4GB stick you'll be looking at 2 hours of record time - which is longer than the battery will last."

Just seems like it has some pretty stinko features like a losable lens cap, no replaceable battery, and proprietary Sony memory chips that make it less attractive than the DXG.

Perhaps the folks at Sony figure the low-end of the market isn't worth exploiting, or maybe they want people to come in the stores to see the low priced model and get upsold to something better.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:12 AM   #658

Hi all,

I have this cam, and my DVD player just died. I am looking to get a DVD player/recorder to replace it. Is there anything that I should look for in a DVD recorder that would make getting video from this cam burned to DVDs easier?
MarkWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:09 PM   #659

Please remember at this time firmware does seperate at least a couple of these camcordersand Fishycomics has proven in several of his post that firmware does make a difference in the way a camcorder performs. I'm not say that the DXG 595v isbetter or worse than the HD D10 or the HD 8Z.

Second thought I have read that DXG DOES NOT warrenty the Lens, Sensor or LCD they claim these are "acc. items" and not part of the camera? Is this true? (Source Newegg review on the DXG 595v)
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:33 AM   #660

Agree.

I am no pro, I am and started this For keeping the fun here, a Poor man LOl but hey all those cams I have you think I own just one 3,000.00 model LMAO. only one was given to me out of hard work thank you.

I believe t he lens would not becovered for reasons of, Owners, that may just not take care of their units causing scratchs, drops, etc, you have a lens cap

that would make common sense to me. LCD yes touch,touch, touch, senser hmmm guss the pointing to burn out stuff.

FIrmware:

Your cam isalready set by a company that believes they got the best, or peaked camcorder.

People say , the sound, the video, the zoom........

Company tweaks a lil here, there, till they say , are you satasfied. while ruining the next model that came out.

We can do our own testings, but the test has already been done.

Questions if one knows (not a owner)(due to a camcorder design) Are you, or did you request thedefault, andable to RE-FLASH BACK the old Firmware?

that makes a big difference in the world.

once foward, no way back. not good.

NuttySquirrel wrote:

Quote:
Please remember at this time firmware does seperate at least a couple of these camcordersand Fishycomics has proven in several of his post that firmware does make a difference in the way a camcorder performs. I'm not say that the DXG 595v isbetter or worse than the HD D10 or the HD 8Z.

Second thought I have read that DXG DOES NOT warrenty the Lens, Sensor or LCD they claim these are "acc. items" and not part of the camera? Is this true? (Source Newegg review on the DXG 595v)