Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:03 PM   #671

it's on DVH596-V1.16-UA10
kimikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:14 PM   #672

As far as I know V1.16-UA10 is the newest ver. that can be downloaded offthe internet. It is found at DXG's website. My camera (HD D10)came pre-loaded with the newest firmware V1.20_0919. You must contact the company that makes the HD 8Z, or wait until DXG's website post another up-date... Plus who knows if the the new ver. is even better than the old? No has tested that yet. Everyone that has a DXG 595v with that ver.(V1.16-UA10 )of firmware seemed to like it.

kimikal wrote:
Quote:
it's on DVH596-V1.16-UA10
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:39 AM   #673

Hello,
is it recommended to make the update of the firmware, which are the notable improvements, please?
GUIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:54 PM   #674

polpo wrote:
Quote:
There's a seller on eBay selling them for only $24.95 right now. I just ordered one; we'll see how it is. Unfortunately they only ship to the US.
Well, I just got the WC-E24 adapter in the mail. It's perfect and brand new. If anyone else is interested in getting them, the auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300275973347 . You can't beat that price, along with the free shipping.
polpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 2:27 PM   #675

I recently dug out my video camera window mount and attached it to the DXG and have to say it's a handy little accessoryyou can getthat won't break the bank.

Sorry some of the pics are a little dark, it's an old camera I shot them with.

Anyway, you can snag one of these off of Ebay for around $12 US and you won't regret it. (just search for "window mount" under "Cameras" and you'll find a bunch. Most of them are this same generic model but you can pick and choose. Some sellers list them for specific brands but they are almost all the same mount)

The main advantage is that you get a nice handhold for the camera and can reduce the jitters you may get holding the thing by the strap, it's particularly useful in 1080p mode since there's no image stabilization available on the menu in that format.

The square base of the mount isn't the most ergonomic design for holding the camera but you soon get used to it, you can even get a good two handed grip on the camera for added stability.

There'sa minordownside; it's difficult to shoot stills because of the location of the shutter button, but I mostly do video and haven't been troubled with it.

This particular model has a small platform to mount the camera so you can still get at the battery without removing the window mount.

Speaking of which, you can mount it on the window of your car, or any other flat object to get some really nice shots.

I haven't done it yet, but conceivably you could make yourself a steadycam mount with this and some weights.

Overall it's pretty stable as it is and not a bad investment for any filmmaker on a budget...or just a cheapskate like me! :lol:

Neil
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:53 PM   #676

polpo wrote:
Quote:
polpo wrote:
Quote:
There's a seller on eBay selling them for only $24.95 right now. I just ordered one; we'll see how it is. Unfortunately they only ship to the US.
Well, I just got the WC-E24 adapter in the mail. It's perfect and brand new. If anyone else is interested in getting them, the auction is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300275973347 . You can't beat that price, along with the free shipping.
That's a good price, and the lens is a lot better quality than some of the cheapo "crystal" wide angle lenses that you find. I just used some tape wrapped around the lens to hold it on. Let us know how it works for you.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:01 PM   #677

GUIT wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
is it recommended to make the update of the firmware, which are the notable improvements, please?
Which vers. of firmware do you have now? As for as I know there are only 3

113, 116, 120 (for short), if your camera came with 113, than its worth changing it to 116 which can be downloaded from DXG website. 120 is still not out there yet for downloading its still a factory installed ver. at this time. If you have 120 installed that is the newest ver. yet

Thank you, Brian
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:34 PM   #678

What exactly are the advantages of firmware v1.20 over 1.16? Does it fix the auto-focus problems or speed up zooming? That would be great
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:50 AM   #679

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
What exactly are the advantages of firmware v1.20 over 1.16? Does it fix the auto-focus problems or speed up zooming? That would be great
If you read back through this thread most people thought the firmware ver.113 had a faster zoom, but also had an AutoFocus problem. So when 116 came out, most readers perfered that vers. The difference between 116. and 120 is unknown at thistime. I bought my Hd D10 from chinavasion, which does not firmware support ,so thereis no way for me to test them until DXG releases firmware ver. 120. I have firmware 120 in my camera now and I have a copy of 116. I just need a copy of 120 so in case I don't like 116, soI can re-flash my camera back to 120.

which firmware do you have now?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:32 AM   #680

I actually like the "slow" zoom anyway, it is more professional; closer to what you would do on a real video production. In fact I'd slow it down more if it were possible. The biggest problems with home video are panning too fast and zooming too fast. It does not seem fast while you are filming, but when you are watching later the fast pans and zooms are really annoying. Unless you are filming Blair Witch or something where you are trying to make the audience barf on purpose.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote