Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:50 PM   #681

NuttySquirrel wrote:
Quote:
RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
What exactly are the advantages of firmware v1.20 over 1.16? Does it fix the auto-focus problems or speed up zooming? That would be great
If you read back through this thread most people thought the firmware ver.113 had a faster zoom, but also had an AutoFocus problem. So when 116 came out, most readers perfered that vers. The difference between 116. and 120 is unknown at thistime. I bought my Hd D10 from chinavasion, which does not firmware support ,so thereis no way for me to test them until DXG releases firmware ver. 120. I have firmware 120 in my camera now and I have a copy of 116. I just need a copy of 120 so in case I don't like 116, soI can re-flash my camera back to 120.

which firmware do you have now?
I currently have v1.16
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:03 PM   #682

RichardFaulkner wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What exactly are the advantages of firmware v1.20 over 1.16? Does it fix the auto-focus problems or speed up zooming? That would be great
I currently have v1.16
I have v1.20 and the auto focus is fine on my camera for having no focus lock, so my guess is, it might fix the problem you have.v1.20 does not speed up the zoom. The zoom is slow even with v1.20,v1.13 had the faster zoom but also had an auto-focus problem. Contact DXG and tell them you want v1.20." hirsti" posted that their DXG came with v1.20, so my guess is they have it and need to release just like v1.16 was
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:06 PM   #683

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
The biggest problems with home video are panning too fast and zooming too fast. It does not seem fast while you are filming, but when you are watching later the fast pans and zooms are really annoying. Unless you are filming Blair Witch or something where you are trying to make the audience barf on purpose.
What's goning on with the pans and zooms? choppy?
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:18 AM   #684

How I can know the version of firmware, I looked in thesetting optionbut I found nothing.
Thanks
GUIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:59 PM   #685

Hello! I am looking into getting this camera asap for a quick little event but I want to make sure that I get the 595v with the mic on the lcd and not on the top of the camera. As we all know nearly every retailer shows the older 595 model. Do you guys think it would be safe to just go ahead and get it through Wal-Mart as they have it back in stock....

Any other suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony
anthonyalvernaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:52 AM   #686

Hi. Not sure if you can help. I haver DVH-596 , but need the firmware for the dvh596. Updated with dvh 595 but can nowlonger write to class 6 cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards
tinsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:15 PM   #687

anthonyalvernaz wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys think it would be safe to just go ahead and get it through Wal-Mart as they have it back in stock....

Any other suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony
There is no way to know "for sure" but since Wal-Mart sent me the new version 6 months ago, and since they have been out of stock there for a while, I'd expect that any cameras that they do get in will be new stock. You can always return it to your local Wal-mart store for refund instead of having to send it back. I do wonder if they will ever get stock on these again though.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:21 AM   #688

Hi everybody, nice board, nice reviews of the DXG cams.

So, for all european users, Praktica release the new DVC 5.4 FHD

http://www.praktica.de/index.php?id=..._prdigital_pi1[showUid]=682&cHash=0e0dd9912b

I bought one and the service menu says:

FW: DVH596-V1.22-DE01
HW: DXG
UI: OSD HD Table V1.1
Time: Dec 12 2008 10:50:07
Bin: dvh596.bin
Lens: ZP500Z
Sensor: MT94001
etc some calibration things...

I am impresed of the good 720p/60fps quality with EIS, I am unimpressed of the slow autofocus.

I ve also an Aiptek Z700, there the autofocus is faster, but thats the only thing this camera makes better. So, far, just testing and review later.

buddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:03 AM   #689

nate-mx wrote:
Quote:
i am new to this whole camcorder deal but i found this dxg on walmarts website and couldn't resist.¬* I wanted something to film me and my friends on our dirt bikes.¬* So for my first issue. all in all i like the camcorder, i already had a 2gb sandisk class 4 card to try out on it worked like a charm. then i decided i wanted more so i went to amazon a got 2 transcend sdhc 8gb class 6 cards. got them and tried one out on my camcorder, first formated with the camera, then began recording. within a few minutes it said memory card full. so i reset everything and tried again this time within a few minutes it locks up won't even turn iff or anything. i have to take the battery out to get it to cut off. so i power on and try numerous times with the same problem with it hanging up within 2 to 3 min. so i tried the second card AND it does the same thing. what is going on ? my class 4 2gb sandisk sd works fine. is it that this unit doesn't like class 6 cards or is it the transcend brand or¬*am i doing something wrong? i'm formating the card right now with windows and we'll see what happens and i'll post.¬*¬*¬*¬* by the way this forum was very informative in my descision to buy the dxg 595v i have other questions but¬*i'll ask those after i solve this problem !¬*
Unfortunately confirmed with a Transcend Micro 8GB SDHC card. I just bought a DXG-595V and used my 8GB Transcend card in it - worked great for the first few shots (short shorts, about 1-2 min), then on about the 5th shot, it froze and the camera became unresponsive.

Now I have to buy a Sandisk card or something.
dredd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:51 AM   #690

If anyone doubts the toughness of these little cameras, mine fell off the tripod onto a concrete floor while I was shooting some pickup shots last week.

About 4 1/2 feet.

I've been all over the cam since and it is still working like a champ. I did lose audio playback in the camera itself and the selector that runs the volume up and down has disappeared from the screen, but everything else is working just like always.

Never trust the "click" sound when you latch the baseplate into a tripod, always look at it to make sure the lever is secure.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote