Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:07 PM   #691

Alright, So I finally picked one of these up and it i in fact the newest model to me knowledge (microphone on LCD)

I have a had several issues with it I am hoping someone could help with...

First of in reading through this thread I came across a post about the train track audio issue. I too am having this issue though I am using a PNY 4GB SDHC card labeled as an "HD Video" Card.

Not sure whether or not this is a cheap card so that may be the issue...

Next, I updated the firmware and I calibrated what's possible but I am having a bit of an issue with zoom... Once I get to about a forth of the way through the zoom bar (I'd say maybe 2x optical?) it is suddenly unable to autofocus in any object that is not very close to the lens. I have done the lens calibration several times in hopes to fix this but none of the times were successful. When I calibrate I use a tripod in a very well lit area on a non moving subject. The subjects have always been about 6-8 feet away. Perhaps I should try the calibration on something farther?

Last issue, I have noticed my zoom motor to be very loud. The closer I get with the optical zoom the more clicking noise it seems to make...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony
anthonyalvernaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:38 AM   #692

anthonyalvernaz wrote:
Quote:

Next, I updated the firmware and I calibrated what's possible but I am having a bit of an issue with zoom... Once I get to about a forth of the way through the zoom bar (I'd say maybe 2x optical?) it is suddenly unable to autofocus in any object that is not very close to the lens. I have done the lens calibration several times in hopes to fix this but none of the times were successful. When I calibrate I use a tripod in a very well lit area on a non moving subject. The subjects have always been about 6-8 feet away. Perhaps I should try the calibration on something farther?

Last issue, I have noticed my zoom motor to be very loud. The closer I get with the optical zoom the more clicking noise it seems to make...

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony
I dont calibrate anything with the DXG (Praktica), but I think, its the same as with other units:

You should not calibrate this cams without defined Light, defined Test-Pictures and other special optical equipment. If you do calibrate without equipment, you receive crap. If the lenses are not groved, your lenses should make noise.
buddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:48 AM   #693

Some of my little test-results from Praktica DVC 5.4 (=DXG-596)

Good:
- good workmanship
- good handling
- good low-light
- price
- cheap battery (np-120)

Ok:
- autofocus
- lens-quality
- performence:
up to 13 Mb/sec 1080p
up to 9,5 Mb/sec 720p
- EIS

Bad:
- autofocus during zoom
- micro with taken away noise

For the cost, its a very good camera, in my opinion better than the Aiptek Z700, that I send back.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:26 AM   #694

I am happy with my cam so far (DXG-596, firmware 1.20). However in 1080p mode (the one I prefer over the others because of the details) the autofocus ( or zoom because the image becomes larger and smaller a bit) is pumping in and out when there is slight motion in the scene e.g. during pans or just because it is handheld. In the lower modes this is much less noticeable or just occurs in darker scenes while the problem with the 1080p mode also occurs in a well lit environment.

Is this a common problem to this model or is it a problem with my unit only?

All I got from DXG describing this is that I would have to RMA it for inspection which is not really an option for me as I live in the EU.
re42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:04 AM   #695

Has anyone noticed a wobble or jello effect caused by the cmos sensor? Sometimes this is referred to as a rolling shutter issue, and usually takes place during bumpy movements or when in the presence of vibration. As an example canon consumer video cameras are well known to have this problem. Also, how well does this camera do on a Mac using imovie or FCP? Thanks for any feedback.
Ascent Imagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 5:12 AM   #696

I'm trying to decide between this camera (dxg-595v), or the sony cx12, panasonic sd9, and sony hc5. I know the price ranges on the other cameras are fairly higher but im mostly interested in shooting progressive. I do a lot of post production motion stabilizing in programs like smoothcam and deshaker, and both programs require progressive footage to preform at their best. I can get away with shooting interlaced footage on a camera like the CX12 but deinterlacing footage the correct way takes about 1hr to 10 seconds of footage. That said it should be easy to understand why for my specific needs, shooting in progressive is a better option. Thanks again!
Ascent Imagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:51 AM   #697

Ascent Imagery wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone noticed a wobble or jello effect caused by the cmos sensor? Sometimes this is referred to as a rolling shutter issue, and usually takes place during bumpy movements or when in the presence of vibration. As an example canon consumer video cameras are well known to have this problem. Also, how well does this camera do on a Mac using imovie or FCP? Thanks for any feedback.
You can see the yelli-effect with full tele, with 1080p and also with 720p. But the wobble is much more with Aiptek Z700 and Rollei DV5, for example.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:53 AM   #698

Ascent Imagery wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to decide between this camera (dxg-595v), or the sony cx12, panasonic sd9, and sony hc5. I know the price ranges on the other cameras are fairly higher but im mostly interested in shooting progressive. I do a lot of post production motion stabilizing in programs like smoothcam and deshaker, and both programs require progressive footage to preform at their best. I can get away with shooting interlaced footage on a camera like the CX12 but deinterlacing footage the correct way takes about 1hr to 10 seconds of footage. That said it should be easy to understand why for my specific needs, shooting in progressive is a better option. Thanks again!
Thats no decide: The Sony and the Panasonics are much better. If you want to pay more money...
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:09 PM   #699

re42 wrote:
Quote:
is pumping in and out when there is slight motion in the scene e.g. during pans or just because it is handheld. In the lower modes this is much less noticeable or just occurs in darker scenes while the problem with the 1080p mode also occurs in a well lit environment.

Is this a common problem to this model or is it a problem with my unit only?
My HD D10 does the same thing (frimware 1.20) when panning and trying to fallow amoving objectin 1080p mode, mine also "stalls" almost like it skips several frames or something
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 2:39 PM   #700

Just got my DXG-595V HD from Walmart.com for $179 + $13 Tax (!?!) and $7 shipping.

I am impressed so far with the build, but haven't even shot yet as the battery is charging! I am a bit impatient!

kinemech is offline   Reply With Quote