Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:54 PM   #701

What happened to my last post?

Oh well...

Seems this camcorder gets its 16:9 aspect ratio via pixel doubling in the horizontal, because I imported a "1920 x 1080" clip into Adobe After Effects and found it to be a native 1440 x 1080 image.

The DXG engineers duplicate every 3rd horizontal pixel and wind up with a "spec" 1920" horizontal line. So, if you import one of these clips into editing software and it looks all squeezed, like a Cinemascope film at the start, you'll need to adjust the horizontal size to 1920 and resample before everything looks right.

Not uncommon, even in much higher priced cameras...

It is a software solution to getting multiple aspect ratios from a chip that must supply both wide-screen and "normal" images in proper format to the end user.

BTW; this is a great resource for understanding aspect ratios!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

The thing that is disturbing, and is going to cause many people who only dabble in HD production endless headaches, are the colorspace issues surrounding HD images and the proprietary LUTS used by the included Arcsoft Software.

You see, until recently, the World of computer imaging was 8 bit ( or some called it 32 bit -- R8+G8+B8 ) and simple. Colors, for the most part, were a representation of mixtures of Red, Green and Blue in levels from 0 to 255.

On the IBM, monitors were calibrated to a 2.20 gamma slope and Macs were calibrated to a 1.80 gamma slope and both systems had their default RGB color space that was standard.

Images produced on an IBM and moved to a Mac, for the most part looked dark and vice versa; Mac images on an IBM looked washed out, due to the difference in gamma (contrast more or less) slopes.

Easy enough to handle...

But this HD stuff...

HD video is supposed to exist in something called a HD 709 colorspace... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709
Basically, this color scheme has alternate color values from the typical RGB values on your monitor and, if you don't interpret it correctly via software when you watch it, it looks all overexposed and blown-out.

I can't even begin to get into the basics of this stuff, but just know that when you play a HD file from this camera in Quicktime, Photoshop CS3 Extended (or higher) then in Arcsoft Total Media and Videoworks (bundled with my camera), you will see a very different image between almost every application.

Most HD signals are at least 10 bit and, depending on how the software is written, it may or may not cause headaches in how it interprets the 8 bit images from this camcorder.

Just know that each software is managing (or not, as the case may be) the color spaces of your computer and making some interesting decisions as what to do with the image data.

Professional-grade applications will probably tend to show you a skinny, washed out image, where as the bundled applications seem to have filters set up to automatically pixel double images to the proper width AND apply corrections to the default color space to make it look "normal", although I think Total Media makes the LUT (look up table) too saturated and contrasty.

So, be aware, you are not going crazy, nor is your computer broken or faulty when you see the same file look very, very different from program to program.

kinemech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:14 PM   #702

Has anyone seen this? http://www.dxgtech.com/product_jpg/DVHA80.jpg

DXG's new 1080i 60FPS. So far only showing on DXG's asian sites, hopefully soon in USA. Looks much sleeker, has HDMI connector. 10 MP pictures and seems to be able to do slow motion video. Hopefully low priced as other DXG products. Definitely looks like a significant upgrade, all it needs is to be a little better than the 595V which I was more than happy with. LCD screen appears to be touchscreen as well and this time includes a remote.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:51 PM   #703

No 1080P? Naw. I will pass this one. I loved my 595V because of very detailed video even at 30 FPS I can live with.

If there is 1080P doing 60FPS, I would love to look at it.
nswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:00 PM   #704

Well I have an older HDTV that only goes up to 1080i anyways and still looks great. The 60FPS is definitely the selling point for me here.

nswilliams wrote:
Quote:
No 1080P? Naw. I will pass this one. I loved my 595V because of very detailed video even at 30 FPS I can live with.

Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:20 PM   #705

Umm am I an idiot or something? I have an Australian version of this camer and the mic is only recording a buzzing sound now... I was trying to update the firmware but I have no idea how to do it, I select F/W Version with the bin file on an SD card and all it does is show me the current version. How do I make it update?

Balzary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 12:27 PM   #706

I am a new member - great discussion.I am looking for a new video camera. While I would like to go with a full function HD camera, it is not in the budget.

As an alternative, I was looking at the Samsung SMX-F33 for $229, until I saw the DXG and started reading this forum.

Most folks here seem to be viewingDXG video on their PCs. I ultimately would like to be able to record video, burn it to a DVD and play it on a HDTV. Is anyone doing this? Am I crazy to think I could do this and have a watchable video?

HDfan23 wrote:
Quote:
Well I have an older HDTV that only goes up to 1080i anyways and still looks great. The 60FPS is definitely the selling point for me here.

nswilliams wrote:
Quote:

Ruckover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 4:31 PM   #707

you can burn and watch on TV just not HI-DEF unless you have a blu-ray burner and player. You can convert to another format and burn to DVD and watch on TV.

Also can just watch on TV with supplied cables using the camera
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 4:38 PM   #708

[flash=320,256]http://www.facebook.com/v/512451941230[/flash]

This is the crappy down conversion of 1080p I took with my 595v for facebook. Perhaps I'll rapid share the original footage because the broken fan slamming into the garbage bin is really spectacular and an excellent example of what the footage from this camera can be. Also, everything looks more awesome when set to the sound of the 300 trailer.

As to how to play the camera files back without a computer and without hooking your DXG up to a TV via the supplied cables - the files will play from an Xbox 360 in HD(from usb plug or over a network) and will run from a DVD on any blu-ray player in HD (I think with no modification). Burning them to DVD and using a 360 to watch the HD regular DVD should work too if I read correctly from a previous post (they WILL NOT run from a 360 in Media Center mode, oddly).

This was all earlier in the thread, although it is very long. Perhaps the first post needs updating with a little more information that people keep asking.

Edit: clarification
bennmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 5:18 PM   #709

I'm waiting for this model from DXG http://www.dxgtech.com/product_jpg/DVHA80.jpg

Hopefully released soon, supposedly will be showcased in a show in Asia next month. I had the DXG-595V which was quite good however I prefer the Aiptek GVS which I now have. Burning to DVD somewhat diminishes the quality although it's not too bad. If you use Nero version 8 and up, it includes an option to burn HD video onto normal DVD, although maybe max of 30 min. Or if you don't want to edit you can just play straight from the camera using the component cables. I also have this device: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=572

It's pretty cool, you connect a USB storage device with all your videos and play back, it can handle HD videos.

Ruckover wrote:
Quote:
I am a new member - great discussion.I am looking for a new video camera. While I would like to go with a full function HD camera, it is not in the budget.

As an alternative, I was looking at the Samsung SMX-F33 for $229, until I saw the DXG and started reading this forum.

Most folks here seem to be viewingDXG video on their PCs. I ultimately would like to be able to record video, burn it to a DVD and play it on a HDTV. Is anyone doing this? Am I crazy to think I could do this and have a watchable video?

HDfan23 wrote:
Quote:

nswilliams wrote:
Quote:

Old May 5, 2009, 5:57 PM   #710

HDfan23 wrote:
Quote:
If you use Nero version 8 and up, it includes an option to burn HD video onto normal DVD, although maybe max of 30 min.

Ruckover wrote:
Quote:

If you just move the video files from the camera to a single sided DVD directly (maybe change the extension to .avi), they should play in the players mentioned above - and it will be about 1.5 hours of video. That's significant and not bad at all. This is judging from how much space the files take up on my 8gb SDHC card.
bennmann is offline   Reply With Quote