Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 5, 2009, 6:00 PM   #711

But that's just normal resolution, not in HD. I forgot to mention to use that Nero option, you'll need to play on a Blu-ray player or PS3. However as you said, if you just burn a normal DVD, you can fit far more, still good quality, but not HD.

bennmann wrote:
Quote:
HDfan23 wrote:
Quote:
If you use Nero version 8 and up, it includes an option to burn HD video onto normal DVD, although maybe max of 30 min.

Ruckover wrote:
Quote:
I am a new member - great discussion.I am looking for a new video camera. While I would like to go with a full function HD camera, it is not in the budget.

As an alternative, I was looking at the Samsung SMX-F33 for $229, until I saw the DXG and started reading this forum.

Most folks here seem to be viewingDXG video on their PCs. I ultimately would like to be able to record video, burn it to a DVD and play it on a HDTV. Is anyone doing this? Am I crazy to think I could do this and have a watchable video?
If you just move the video files from the camera to a single sided DVD directly (maybe change the extension to .avi), they should play in the players mentioned above - and it will be about 1.5 hours of video. That's significant and not bad at all. This is judging from how much space the files take up on my 8gb SDHC card.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 6:29 PM   #712

No, that's 1.5 hours of h.264 HD video (which is the format the camera records in).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
bennmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 9:17 AM   #713

I just got this camcorder and am overall pretty pleased with it! I've got a quick question about something i've noticed.

When using 720p mode with EIS enabled, i've noticed a "jumping" pixel on my videos. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it's basically a small group of white dots that "jump" around while i'm taping. It's not just on the LCD screen, because it shows up on the video playing on the computer as well. It does not happen when EIS is disabled.

Anybody else have this problem? I'll try and upload a sample later.

Thanks!
Matt

(btw, this is my first post!)
maconmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 5:55 AM   #714

Default Updated firmware for DXG-595V

I would like som much to have the firmware sent by e-mail. Could you do this - please?

Regards
Sigurd Pedersen
Norway

mail: [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post
I'll piggyback this post with my thoughts as well!

DXG-595V Review
08/08/2008

Confirmed Features:
1080P @ 30 FSP with 5 X Optical Zoom and 2 X Digital Zoom
720P @ 60 FSP with 5 X Optical Zoom and 4 X Digital Zoom
3" LCD Display

Package:
Camera bag, USB Cable (beigeā€¦), VGA Input Cables, VG HD Out Cables, Software and Manual.

Construction: The DXG-595V is well built. It feels solid in hand and the plastic is very dense and study. The LCD is of glossy finish and provides a nice bright image. I had no dead pixels on my LCD. The lens, SD and battery cover all open and close via a mechanical hinge switch. All of which add a nice touch to the camera.

Ergonomics: The buttons are well placed and the hand-strap is very cushioned. Your fingers naturally fix on the zoom and picture capture buttons. After an hour of so use my hand did not show signs of being tried. The total weight of the camera is not enough to cause strain to the wrist. My only gripe here would be that the navigation pointer is a little small and it is sometimes difficult to navigate through menus.

Audio: The audio levels are very acceptable. The MIC does not pick up excess noise, however when zooming the audio filter kicks in and audio levels drop to unacceptable levels. That being said, there is a firmware fix available for this issue.

Low Light Video: All CMOS based camcorders suffer in low light situations and the DXG-595V no exception. In low light the image is dark and grainy. Night mode and manual white balance control are available to combat this type of situation. I'll post some samples in another post.

Action Video: With EIS enabled in 720P mode the camera does a good job at keeping a moving object in focus and aligned. I'll post some samples in another post.

Conclusion: DXG has done a good job packaging a lot of desirable features into this camcorder while keeping the cost at an affordable level. The construction is much better than I expected (it doesn't feel like a toy) and the EIS is very impressive. However, at time of release there are some noticeable bugs/issues. For one the audio level zoom issue. When you zoom in and out the audio cuts out almost completely. According to DXG this is a done to eliminate the noise of the zoom motor from being picked up the video. However, there is a firmware fix available to decrease the speed of the zoom and remove the noise filter. I'll post some before and after results once I upgrade. Additionally, what I noticed is that in quiet low noise situations the MIC picks up some type of electrical interference. It almost sounds like a train moving down the train tracks. However, this is only noticeable on playback with audio maxed out on a computer. I sent off an email to DXG regarding this issue. Another small gripe I have is that there is no brightness adjustment option on the LCD.
sigurdpedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 9:14 AM   #715

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information everyone. I ordered my DXG-595V from Walmart last night. I opted for home delivery - it cost than a buck and should arrive five days earlier than the the ship to store method. I am fired up!!!
Ruckover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 11:03 AM   #716

http://rapidshare.com/files/23023756...8__2_.MOV.html

This is some video of a broken fan being slammed into a steel garbage bin. When you click that link you'll have to then click several more times to download the file, so it's not a direct link. It will only remain up for 90 days from this post (because of the rapid share service). Enjoy!

Edit: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TKGSYK5A Here's a link that will probably last longer. Similar service to the one above.

Last edited by bennmann; May 7, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
bennmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 4:55 PM   #717

Selling my DXG-595V along with 5 additional NP-120 2000mah batteries, Pelican 1150 and Sandisk Ultra II 8GB card. Self updated FW to V1.16-UA10 also a Mac tripod w/leveling bubble and quick connect/disconnect.

I'm stepping up to a Canon Vixia HF S100

This has been a very nice low budget camcorder.

message me if interested before I send it off to E-bay in a couple weeks.

Video from camera here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xstcC5CBag

Last edited by marto; May 10, 2009 at 4:54 PM. Reason: added tripod and video
marto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 2:51 PM   #718

I received my DXG last Saturday evening. I shot some video of my babies in my house right away then some video of my dogs in the yard the next morning. Sunday I played the video back with the camera plugged into my 67 inch 1080p. The clip inside was a bit grainy, as I expected. The video outside knocked my socks off! I thought I could reach out and pet my dogs. Experts say dogs cannot really watch TV, but I’ll be dammed if one of my dogs wasn’t ready to chase himself through the TV.

Thanks to all for providing great reviews and feedback!
Ruckover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 5:35 PM   #719

Alright, so could you guys list what SD cards your using successfully w/o the "train track" audio issue... I've tried over 15 different cards, all the way from 1GB to 8GB SDHC cards and all had the issue.

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions
anthonyalvernaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 5:41 PM   #720

Default So glad for good result with wide-angel lense

I heard from my seller that it was impossible til use extra lenses on this camera. I read from one of our contributors that he had ordered a Raynox snap-on qc-303 fish eye. I now have bought a Raynox snap-on qc-707 and was very disappointed until I put on the MACRO FUNCTION (for fun). Suddenly the focus was almost perfect, and I could place the camera on a tripod and let it stand still while people moved around. This is much better than turning the cam-corder.
I have now ordered a Raynox snap-on QC-505 which gives even more wide-angel. I think the QC-303 is too wide.

Look at the test-photos of the lenses

http://raynox.co.jp/comparison/video...303.htm#qc-505

Sigurd

22 May:
Today I got my new Raynox QC-505. I can't use it totally wide, but if I draw the zoom just a bit of a second and then use the macro, it works fine.

Sigurd

Last edited by sigurdpedersen; May 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM.
sigurdpedersen is offline   Reply With Quote