Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:26 PM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
Nvm, I found it, and calibrated everything, but it still says "file error" after like 2 seconds of recording. But the 2 seconds that were recorded are saved and can be played back fine.

EDIT: I deleted all the footage on the card, and it works fine.

EDIT 2: It still gives me " File Error". :|

I'm having the same issue... I just updated the firmware to test out the higher bit rate on 1080P and the first clip recorded fine. Tried 720P with success then switched back to 1080 and I'm getting the "file error" message now. So far, I can record 720, but no longer 1080 and I can't take photos anymore either.
Anyone else having any problems with the new firmware?
Any one have link to 1.20 or 1.16 firmwares? All the old links I could find in this forum point to dxg support and the file is no longer online...
Scoilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:53 AM   #742

Scoilt: I just did a series of tests alternating between 1080p & 720p and am having none of the problems you have. Both photos and videos are working as they should with 1080p videos showing a bitrate of 19Mbps, and 720p videos showing 14Mbps. Make sure you are following the firmware instructions to the letter, using a SD card with nothing on it but the firmware update when installing it. Then erace that file from the card after it has been installed.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:34 PM   #743

I think the error has to do with reformatting the card when copying the firmware. Try using the Panasonic SD Formatter Tool to reformat your card and see if it fixes the problem.
RichardFaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 2:41 PM   #744

I ended up returning the camcorder.
SpeedyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:28 AM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFaulkner View Post
I think the error has to do with reformatting the card when copying the firmware. Try using the Panasonic SD Formatter Tool to reformat your card and see if it fixes the problem.
I tried reinstalling the firmware update, but the camera would not let me (as the firmware versions were the same). I then just reformated the card in Windows and now everything works fine... Strange, but I'm not complaining.
Scoilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:05 AM   #746

I am interested if the build quality on this DXG is better than the Aiptek GVS or cheap Xactis ?

Does it creek ? Is it bulky and sturdy ? Will it survive a fall ? Does it have a "heavy" feel to it or is it like 4 grams of plastic

Thanks !
Silencer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:00 AM   #747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
I am interested if the build quality on this DXG is better than the Aiptek GVS or cheap Xactis ?

Does it creek ? Is it bulky and sturdy ? Will it survive a fall ? Does it have a "heavy" feel to it or is it like 4 grams of plastic

Thanks !
I will answer for the GVS Do not Drop it.

Aluminumum, did I say metal wow. will scratch indent, and that is on hte front lense part only. al other is a Abs plastic, wil take punishment. but when droppedfrm a short distance . mine thesddoor broke, and I tell yo it only takes one drop to realy damage thecam.

Mouse/joystick protrudes too far out, and only the Action HD 1080p was correctly made right the mouse far in.

Aiptek why do you always fail in designing these things when you accedently make it right?

Sanyo xacti is a much sturdier model or is it. yes it is abs plastic, and hasa real metal front of the lense and I like it haveno beef about it. and nothingmore to sy of it.

the model posted here a member will answer

thanl you

my two cents
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:16 AM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post

Thanks !
The build quality of the DXG was one of the selling points for me. It's sturdy and doesn't feel cheap at all when you operate it.
In fact it feels more solid than the Panasonic HDC-SD100 I purchased later (although the Panny has a lot more features).

I had a little spill with my DXG and it fell off of a tripod onto a concrete floor. The only thing that I've noticed as a problem is the loss of playback audio through the onboard speaker. It still records audio just fine.

There's nothing toylike about the DXG, it looks like any top notch camcorder, but with prices falling on models with more features, you may want to look into all the other brands.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:39 AM   #749

To be fair, any of these cams will damage if you drop them and the heavier they are the harder they fall, to use that old saying.

One of the most common complaints in reviews I read is how 'flimsy' covers are on camcorders and cameras in general, even expensive ones. But given the size of these devices they don't really have a lot of choice in the design.

The Canon HF100 had the SD card under the main LCD so it was pretty well protected but they could do that as it was a traditional style camcorder so plenty of space to put it there, but I still wouldn't want to have dropped it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
I will answer for the GVS Do not Drop it.

Aluminumum, did I say metal wow. will scratch indent, and that is on hte front lense part only. al other is a Abs plastic, wil take punishment. but when droppedfrm a short distance . mine thesddoor broke, and I tell yo it only takes one drop to realy damage thecam.

Mouse/joystick protrudes too far out, and only the Action HD 1080p was correctly made right the mouse far in.

Aiptek why do you always fail in designing these things when you accedently make it right?

Sanyo xacti is a much sturdier model or is it. yes it is abs plastic, and hasa real metal front of the lense and I like it haveno beef about it. and nothingmore to sy of it.

the model posted here a member will answer

thanl you

my two cents
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:23 AM   #750

I own a Mustek dv 4500, 3500, and3000, droppd it and it seperated snapped back good as new.

rathe rbeing plastic it is Aluminum did I again say metal.

I preferre aluminum, over plastic, but at times happy with the modelshowever they're made.
Like i saidcan be a 1 foot drop orten feet.

I was in a place ( maryland gun powder falls) and I stopped said I can walk accross that tree, andsat the cam down ten feet fall it did. thank god for the ground unpaved.
what you'll notget is the file filmed. you lose it.
so no matterwhat cam it is just wear that cam strap, find a way to protect it.

and yes the GVSfell last wek doing my skit. placed on cars hood. with a mini tripod
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote