Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:21 PM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
I am interested if the build quality on this DXG is better than the Aiptek GVS or cheap Xactis ?

Does it creek ? Is it bulky and sturdy ? Will it survive a fall ? Does it have a "heavy" feel to it or is it like 4 grams of plastic

Thanks !
I own both (GVS and DXG or HD D10) The DXG is a lot better built camcorder by far and has better bitrates, but I still use my GVS more. Both are plastic but the DXG does have a "heavy feel", for a $200 camcorder. In the end the DXG is bulky and sturdy. The GVS is slim and weak. With the price of the Sanyo HD1000 dropping $334 on ebay and as low as $289 at some online stores from time to time. This might be the better deal
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:25 PM   #752

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat56458 View Post
I did the re-calibration of two items on the cam “Lens calibration”, and “Lens sorting” using branchiopod’s instructions and then took another 1080p video, the focus hunting issue still was a problem. I did find a big improvement in the new firmware in that it now appears to have increased the bitrate 1080p video is captured from about 10Mpbs to now 19Mpbs! This was shown using the Mediainfo utility, this improvement should lead to a large improvement in video quality. Can someone verify this?
Could you please post some "Raw" video for all of us to see these new bitrates

Thank you
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:40 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttySquirrel View Post
I own both (GVS and DXG or HD D10) The DXG is a lot better built camcorder by far and has better bitrates, but I still use my GVS more. Both are plastic but the DXG does have a "heavy feel", for a $200 camcorder. In the end the DXG is bulky and sturdy. The GVS is slim and weak. With the price of the Sanyo HD1000 dropping $334 on ebay and as low as $289 at some online stores from time to time. This might be the better deal
The DXG and GVS both use a 10Mbps bitrate in the HD mode. It's funny how people keep saying the GVS is poorly built. I don't find it weak in the least. It feels no more flimsy than many other camcorders I have owned considering it's price.

It does seem to me that build quality seems to be subjective as even the review on camcorderinfo for the Sanyo HD1010 said it had a 'cheap' feel which I find laughable. It's every bit as well built as the Canon HF100 I had. Perhaps they were expecting it to be solid metal?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:51 PM   #754

I torn my GVS apart. and I will say what is poorly made:

tripod no housing
mouse sticks out, a accedent waiting to happen.

Otherwise its made like anything else on the market.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:51 PM   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat56458 View Post
I did the re-calibration of two items on the cam “Lens calibration”, and “Lens sorting” using branchiopod’s instructions and then took another 1080p video, the focus hunting issue still was a problem. I did find a big improvement in the new firmware in that it now appears to have increased the bitrate 1080p video is captured from about 10Mpbs to now 19Mpbs! This was shown using the Mediainfo utility, this improvement should lead to a large improvement in video quality. Can someone verify this?
This large an increase in bitrate is suspicious. It's possible that mediainfo it just reading it wrong now. One way to check would be to shoot some video for x number of seconds before the FW upgrade and the same afterwards. The filesize should be almost twice the size if it really does have a bitrate of 19Mbps.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:52 PM   #756

Quote:
tripod no housing
Not sure what you mean by this one?

Quote:
mouse sticks out, a accedent waiting to happen.
That's a design fault rather than poor build quality. It just sticks out further than the HD1010.

Quote:
Otherwise its made like anything else on the market.
Yep that I agree with.

Last edited by rgvcam; Sep 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:14 PM   #757

[QUOTE=rgvcam;997812]The DXG and GVS both use a 10Mbps bitrate in the HD mode.

What do you mean by this? My DXG or (HD D10) in 1080 mode has an average of 11.4 to about 13.2 bitrate and my GVS has never recorder at anything higher than 8.8 bitrate. I was my understanding that both cameras use a "variable" bitrate not a "fixed" bitrate systems. is this wrong?

Last edited by NuttySquirrel; Sep 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:35 PM   #758

[QUOTE=rgvcam;997812] It's funny how people keep saying the GVS is poorly built. I don't find it weak in the least.

What about the joystick? its weak, correct?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:56 PM   #759

You are correct they both use VBR. When I examine the files from both the DXG and the GVS they both have an average bitrate of just over 10MBps. I have seen this figure quoted elsewhere too. Being VBR they will both peak higher than that at times as well. They also both use the same chipset ie Ambarella so not surprising really.

The 8.8Mbps sounds more like the older Action HD than the GVS.

Could you post on a website one or two of your DXG video clips so I can examine then to see if there is any difference to my existing samples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttySquirrel View Post
What do you mean by this? My DXG or (HD D10) in 1080 mode has an average of 11.4 to about 13.2 bitrate and my GVS has never recorder at anything higher than 8.8 bitrate. I was my understanding that both cameras use a "variable" bitrate not a "fixed" bitrate systems. is this wrong?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:01 PM   #760

Actually not really. It's soft which gives the impression of weakness but the one on my HD1010 doesn't feel much stiffer. I think the reason the Aiptek feels more 'flimsy' is because it is longer and so you have more leverage.

Even so, the general build quality of the camera generally is very good. The LCD hinge for instance doesn't feel any worse than any other camcorder I've had and I have every confidence it will last just as long.

[QUOTE=NuttySquirrel;997832]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
It's funny how people keep saying the GVS is poorly built. I don't find it weak in the least.

What about the joystick? its weak, correct?