Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:25 AM   #771

rgvcam, here is a 1080p raw clip from my HD D10. Its about 11.49 in its bitrate. I'll try to find a film with a biterate of 13 . The camera is now broken (My friend dropped it), so I'm having to look through my backup drive to find old video.

http://rapidshare.com/files/279446224/FILE0024.MOV
NuttySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:23 AM   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttySquirrel View Post
rgvcam, here is a 1080p raw clip from my HD D10. Its about 11.49 in its bitrate. I'll try to find a film with a biterate of 13 . The camera is now broken (My friend dropped it), so I'm having to look through my backup drive to find old video.

well two things cam come out of this.......

How bad was the drop, was it inchs off the floor thrown due to a fight, that standard slip, due to no wrist strap?

It is a hybrid, that can withstand a simple drop, and two things can hap, it survives the fall, or total damage.

The lense and mouse are most likely to break. it'ssad shock absorbant these are not,why a fixed focus lense is best, butstill have the chances of damage

i am sorry t ohear this.

maybe contacting the compnay, or finding a exchange.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:07 AM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttySquirrel View Post

Interesting it's 12Mbps as you say and if you have a clip at 13Mbps, that's almost as high as the max I have gotten on my Sanyo HD1010. I have a clip that is 13.4Mbps.

Did you say you got these bitrates after a firmware upgrade? The reason I say this, is I have one that is of a complex scene of vegetation from the DXG 595V for which you'd expect it to get up to those rates yet it's only 10Mbps, the same as the Aiptek. If this is due to a firmware upgrade then I wonder if this is possible with the Aiptek as they both use the same chipset ie Ambarella.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:49 PM   #774

Hi! Anyone help me?
I have cam DVH-596, but my brother make fail firmware update by dvh595.bin :-(
Now my cam is work not right.
Have you firmware file for DVH596.bin (1.20)?
Serg555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:41 PM   #775

Long time lurker...but this thread helped me make my decision to get this model (DXG-595V). I just got it via Amazon and it is working great. No muted audio during zooming and the focus speed was pretty standard for this level camcorder.
djbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:43 AM   #776

I completed the 596 firmware upgrade on my 595V. The bitrate on 1080p seems to be 19-20 mps. My media utilities and VLC all return this bitrate, so there's a good chance it is accurate. One potential indicator is that playback of the new videos now puts my quad core into maxed out turbo mode, something that does not happen with the old, lower bitrate videos. I will be doing some experiments over the weekend and let you know what I find re quality and media consumption, as yet, I've only made some short, low-light shots in the evening.

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:20 PM   #777

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians238 View Post
I completed the 596 firmware upgrade on my 595V. The bitrate on 1080p seems to be 19-20 mps. My media utilities and VLC all return this bitrate, so there's a good chance it is accurate. One potential indicator is that playback of the new videos now puts my quad core into maxed out turbo mode, something that does not happen with the old, lower bitrate videos. I will be doing some experiments over the weekend and let you know what I find re quality and media consumption, as yet, I've only made some short, low-light shots in the evening.

Brian
That's a huge jump in bitrate. That's now higher than a Canon HF100. It will be interesting if there really is a noticeable quality difference. Of course the only scientific way would be to shoot the same scenes with the old firmware then again with the new one.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:37 PM   #778

rgvcam,

I agree--it's quite a jump. I've noticed that panning seems better at the higher bitrate and 720p is definitely improved. I made a 63 second video at 1080p which was 136 megabytes in size. I figure that at around 17 megabits per second. The quality seems improved, but it definitely takes more horsepower to play the file.

More as I experiment...
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:21 PM   #779

Since the DXG 595 and Aiptek GVS both have the same video modes and both use Ambarella chipsets, I wonder if Aiptek ever plan on releasing a firmware upgrade to improve the bitrate. I would find it highly unlikely that the Ambarella chipset in the Aiptek is a different version though it's possible they could've crippled it in some way.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:07 PM   #780

I did some comparisons today-not an ideal comparison of before and after under exactly the same conditions, but close. I have a 1080p stationary and pan shot movie I took two weeks ago in my yard. I tried the same shot today in almost identical conditions with the new firmware. Here's what I noticed most: pans are much improved and the "zoned" movement or "twisting" from an unsteady hand on stationary shots is greatly reduced--almost eliminated. The stationary tripod shots showed significantly enhanced detail on trees--especially on leaves in motion. The compression artifacts apparent on the lower bitrate are greatly reduced. On the negative side, the new files do not play smoothly in VLC on a quad core machine (though the bundled software does just fine). Secondly, the files are a good bit larger, so you're recording time is reduced accordingly.

Best,

Brian