Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:32 PM   #791

Looks really good. Even though I have one and use it a lot I'm always a little shocked at the high quality this little camera gives up.
For something with all automatic settings you can really get some great color reproduction.

You can detect a little of the lens pulsing in and out when you know it's going to be there, but honestly I don't really think anyone that isn't aware of it would even spot it, particularly in a driving scene like that.

Even though I upgraded cameras a few months back I still get a lot of use out of that little DXG. I'm still on the original firmware that came with it over a year ago (1.23 I think). I've been afraid to change it mostly because I don't have the patience to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobomofo View Post
Ya that auto focus can suck.
I noticed the HD jack right away. It's these extra features that make me think a firmware upgrade is asking for trouble. Without stabilization in 1080p, that mode is practically useless. (unless you use a tripod)
Well I will just have to be happy with what I have in the mean time. The price was right. 205 Canadian dollars, including tax and shipping right to my door, in less than 6 days from China. Gotta love the modern age.
I posted a test video on youtube .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrIwbAhbTPI
Not bad for first try, considering, I think.
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:49 PM   #792

Quote:
Originally Posted by brachiopod View Post
I also notice that EIS is now available in 1080p mode, which is nice, I think that it was not before.
Brachiopod,

I see the option on the menu but I do not see the EIS indicator on the screen in 1080p mode like I do in 720p. I have not noticed any difference in stability when I turn it off. Is it working on your cam? Do you see the EIS indicator on your screen in record mode at 1080p?

Thanks for the input,

Brian
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:40 PM   #793

Hi all,

My DXG-595 that I purchased from Wal-Mart a while ago is no longer Autofocusing correctly. It seems that it's stuck on a close focusing position. Previously, it was not focusing well, or took a while to decide to change focus, but now it's not focusing at all. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try and update the firmware? I went to the DXG USA site, and saw instructions to do it, but did not see a .bin file, is the upgrade the other file I saw in the zip file? Any suggestions would be apreciated!
jake14mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:10 AM   #794

This camcorder is one of the many inexpensive digital HD cameras which certainly has impressive specs: 1080P, autofocus, optical zoom, etc.... but really disappoints in actual use. A friend of mine on YouTube has the "Japan Speed-8Z" model which is the same thing as the DXG 595V, just with a different name, and this is his very unfavorable review of it, and comparison to an old Sony Digital8 camcorder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMuo15WT0Q
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:18 AM   #795

Oh well, there's no pleasing some people. LOL

Oddly enough he didn't say anything about the rolling shutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
This camcorder is one of the many inexpensive digital HD cameras which certainly has impressive specs: 1080P, autofocus, optical zoom, etc.... but really disappoints in actual use. A friend of mine on YouTube has the "Japan Speed-8Z" model which is the same thing as the DXG 595V, just with a different name, and this is his very unfavorable review of it, and comparison to an old Sony Digital8 camcorder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMuo15WT0Q
Neil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:13 AM   #796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Russell View Post

LOL, I guess that Youtuber had his say, no matterwhat. addressing the issue, of the Autofocus Roll, it's like on a boat rocking and rolling the Action HD did that andso does the GVS at given times .
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:41 AM   #797

The firmware upgrade really brings the best out in this camera. The bitrates enable very high quality movies. The enhancement to 720p mode is especially welcome. At this risk of repeating myself, has anyone been able to confirm 1080p EIS? On my upgraded camera, I see the option on the menu, but EIS does not appear on the screen as it does in 720p mode. Does anyone have a different experience after upgrade?
brians238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:38 PM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Russell View Post

Yes I noticed that. I think he is over dramatizing the poor performance of this camcorder. Sure it may not be a great camera but I'd hardly call it 'a complete piece of tat' for the price.

I think the issue he seems to be ranting about is more to do with it's low light abilities since he seems to be more positive about the image quality outside though as you say he seems to completely miss the rather obvious rolling shutter.

Seems many are expecting a prosumer camcorder for a bargain price. We're not there quite yet.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:33 PM   #799

Clem's commentary may be a bit over-the-top, but his criticisms are all fair and justified. This camcorder gives the styling, form factor, and controls of a "real" HD camcorder at a budget price, but does not deliver the performance its appearance would suggest. On the other hand, there are HD camcorders in the same low-budget price class which do not give the apperance of a "pro" camcorder (Aiptek GVS, Kodak Zi6/Zi8, etc.) but actually deliver better performance in real life.

This DXG, Speed-8Z, or whatever you want to call it basically gives you the styling of a Mercedes with the price and performance of a Hyundai. If you're fine with that, then go for it, but otherwise buyers should be made aware of what they're actually getting.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:55 PM   #800

Dear Brian, please share the wealth. Where might one find firmware 1.23? Can you upload it for us? I am willing to sacrifice file size (and potentially battery life) for higher quality - especially at the 720p60fps.

Can you also test battery life?

EDIT 1: OOPS. It's on DXG's website. Thanks anyways, testing.

EDIT 2: Color me impressed, 12Mbits/sec (1.5MBytes) 720p60fps. I can confirm the 1080p 30fps is now 18-19Mbits/sec (2.3MBytes). I'm actually not sure if my eye can tell a difference with the 1080p in motion, based on zoomed in screen shots (which is just because my laptop screen is only 1366x768, ha)! 1.23 firmware is way worth it so far - low light is the same as ever, but at least now the 720p60fps is worth more than a giggle. EIST in 1080p doesn't seem to be working for me. Maybe I'll have battery life numbers for you in a bit. One of my SD cards doesn't write fast enough now for 1080p. Be warned.

Last edited by bennmann; Nov 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM.
bennmann is offline   Reply With Quote